Looking for some dually wheels

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to pick up a 1997 cab & chassis dually in the next few days. The thing has hideous aftermarket wheels on it. I would like to replace them ASAP. So I'm needing a bit of information as to what to look for.

Is the bolt pattern for these trucks 8 x 6.75? As far as I know 6 inch wide wheels is all thats commonly available for duals, which is fine with me. Will wheels from a Dodge or Chevy fit? I know that the newer Ford (99 up) will not fit due to the metric pattern. I also know that some wheels that will fit on a Dodge, for example, don't fit over the Sterling rear axle - the hole in the center is a bit too small. If the Chevy ones fit I might try to hunt down a set of 19.5s, they seem fairly common on the 3500 Chevies.

If anyone has a set please let me know. I have some wheels and tires, as well as the one off this truck, that I'll be putting in the classifieds fairly soon.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to hi-jack this thread if you don't mind :)

Is there a single rear wheel combination of tire and rim that would come close to the weight carrying capacity of a dually setup? The reason I ask is a guy I know is debating about retiring a very rusty and tired f350 that has a small dump body on it, but taking the dump body and installing it on a 2003 f350 6.0 that is a regular pickup.

I see the 18 wheeling people are moving over to one large single wheel, I didn't know if the smaller tire sizes might have something equivalent. Once the bed is installed I believe his choices will be;

-Find a official late model dually rearend and swap it in.

-See if they make those expensive dually wheel adapters for the late model bolt pattern and use those.

-Or my idea of finding a wide wheel and if they make a heavy sidewall tire that would handle the load.

On the old truck the heaviest it was loaded was 3 ton of gravel, which happened more than once, so this would be the target capacity.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I have Dodge wheels on my 94 cab and chassis.
Fit on the rear just fine. Just takes some wiggling to pull them off. Chevy wheels for sure wont fit.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to hi-jack this thread if you don't mind :)

Is there a single rear wheel combination of tire and rim that would come close to the weight carrying capacity of a dually setup? The reason I ask is a guy I know is debating about retiring a very rusty and tired f350 that has a small dump body on it, but taking the dump body and installing it on a 2003 f350 6.0 that is a regular pickup.

I see the 18 wheeling people are moving over to one large single wheel, I didn't know if the smaller tire sizes might have something equivalent. Once the bed is installed I believe his choices will be;

-Find a official late model dually rearend and swap it in.

-See if they make those expensive dually wheel adapters for the late model bolt pattern and use those.

-Or my idea of finding a wide wheel and if they make a heavy sidewall tire that would handle the load.

On the old truck the heaviest it was loaded was 3 ton of gravel, which happened more than once, so this would be the target capacity.

19.5 tires probably will. They go up to load range g I think.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Franklin2, have your friend look into Rickson wheels. They can be had in both 17.5 and 19.5 size, and either of those will have way more load capacity than factory setup.

Also, a G-rated tire is fairly useless on a 3000 lbs wheel. Why I find it hilarious that I run 3400 lbs tires on 2500 lbs wheels...

Edit: just saw Jasper79's post, and idk how he manages that, the Dodge wheels I tried would not clear the pilot are of my hubs. Hit or miss on case by case situation maybe? Certainly won't be the first time I've ran into that.

Last edited:

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Franklin2, have your friend look into Rickson wheels. They can be had in both 17.5 and 19.5 size, and either of those will have way more load capacity than factory setup.

Also, a G-rated tire is fairly useless on a 3000 lbs wheel. Why I find it hilarious that I run 3400 lbs tires on 2500 lbs wheels...

Edit: just saw Jasper79's post, and idk how he manages that, the Dodge wheels I tried would not clear the pilot are of my hubs. Hit or miss on case by case situation maybe? Certainly won't be the first time I've ran into that.

I think its hit or miss. I've seen Dodge clear, and not, and most that won't clear the rear will still clear the front. Been there done that with a flat on the side of the PA Turnpike.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's a interesting option. Thanks for that lead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online