Looking for Input on boring 6.9 to 7.3

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Very nice run video. Question why the rockers have the adjustment on them if custom pushrods were needed and what was the adjustment set at. Interesting to see an engine run like that all open for exam. Was wondering how the pressurized oil was not flowing out the filter to engine inlet line. I understand why it was not flowing out the oil pump end of the block but the filter end has me wondering. Very impressive. Now what type and pressure valve spring is that on this engine. Stock or upgraded like maybe the 910 that typ4 runs.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Impressive video, I'd love to build a 7.3 in a similar fashion, I wonder where I can find one of those engine run/test setups LOL

I'm watching this like a hawk I am!

Whens the engine dyno run?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm too late or not. At first you were looking for a larger oil pan. I don't remember but the one used for International applications may be bigger. You'd have to use the oil pickup tube from an International as well since they are a front sump design. I could be wrong, there might not be any difference in oil capacities. It's been a long time and I only actually installed two in Internationals. That's the only way I'd have an idea on how much oil they take. From what I can remember, they look like they'd hold more oil than a Ford oil pan.

bronco78idi

Reaction score
Thanks for some great question. The engine tester was great to video and thanks to Muddy74Ford for handling all that, and watching the quality of work Valley Balancing puts into all there builds. I couldn’t have picked a better shop!! Or hooked up with some GREAT people on the Forums!! Thanks to all of you for your knowledge and input!!

Here is some important info to note if you go with the Harland Sharp Rockers. Every engine is a little different this refers to mine but check yours.

The Harland Sharp rockers come with adjustable rockers; however the stock pushrods are too long and require shorter length. The radius ends (cup/Ball) of the pushrods are larger on the rockers then stock, so when ordering the shorter pushrods and matched the radius ends to the rocker.(larger rounds then stock), also the custom pushrods tube walls are thicker to match the Comp 910 spring pressure to insure no failure. The bolts to hold down the rockers are 2” from Harland, and too long as well, I went with 1 3/4 inch.

{OPEN SPRING PRESSURE: There are a few terms used in determining which pushrod would best fit your needs that would be beneficial for you to understand. One major factor for determining the correct tube diameter and wall thickness is “open spring pressure”. Open spring pressure is the pressure in pounds exerted against the rocker when the valve is in the fully opened position. This pressure is also affected by rocker ratio, lifter type (hydraulic or solid), the angle between the lifter to pushrod and pushrod to rocker and the normal operating RPM of your engine.}

{RADIUS OF ENDS: Determining which ball and/or cup you require is also very important. most cases, after-market lifters and/or rockers are used, the size/type/style of end you need could vary.}

The rockers are center on the valve stem across the full travel of the cam. Watching the engine run and looking at the travel of the rocker seemed to have an even load on the stem and centered.

The engine tester heats the oil to 106 and runs the motor about 500 RPM with low pressure, high volume of oil is push in the engine, this was awesome to watch and checking to insure all the working mechanical parts did not have a problem. I didn’t bring the enclosure for the GoPro or I would have showed the lower end rotating assembly and the brand new oilier. (DON’T LOOSE YOURS!!)The oil cooler passages were blocked off after testing oil flowed. We cut out a lot of the prep work and time running while the engine was on the tester. Oil was pumped thru the engine for about 5 minutes to insure nothing from cleaning was stuck in the block, then the motor was turned up slowly and valve to piston clearance was checked. Once all the running parts were check then the machine was turned up slowly to almost 500 RPM. We never hit 500 RPM because the block kept bouncing from the torque. We ran the engine for 45 minutes and everything checked out. Smooth running, oiling was great and the rockers were worth every dollar!!

Mike at Harland Sharp “ARE NOT “ going to stock the rockers, they will make to order.

The machine shop is going to pressure test the oil cooler and then close up the engine.

The heads were torqued to 100 lbs. using ARB Studs!

During Thanksgiving I am sending my Pump to R & D Performance for a DB4 conversion and order there injectors at the same time.

Now it’s all about fuel and air!! The next journey

A few asked about Dyno, Yes I am working on an engine dyno first to see what’s at the flywheel and break in. Then I will dyno the engine in the truck at the wheels. I will have video of all that as well.

I will be busy on the frame over the next few months. Lot’s to do…

Have a Great Thanksgiving and always thank the men and women who server to protect or Constitutional rights!!

Last edited:

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
So SICK. I want those something awful.

I wish they were producing them vs made to order. I can understand why they want it to do it that way but I would like to order a set just to have for the future.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those Rockers almost warrant a custom set of CNC machined aluminum valve covers with lexan windows ;Poke

Just sayin...

bronco78idi

Reaction score
Hey sending my Pump to be R & D IDI Performance to be customized 180CC's and injectors... in the box going out today!! time to and the FUEL and AIR to my engine!!
You must be registered for see images attach

Olb Blue Beast

Built Ford Tough
Reaction score
Hey man, just read about the rockers. Awesome build!! Congrats and thankyou for making rockers for the IDI! I pln on doing a build for my idi as soon as I have the $$$.... which may be awhile as im 16, lol. Defenetly subscribed to this build.

bronco78idi

Reaction score
Hey all been busy tearing down the Bronco. here are some pic of my junk yard finds

Last edited:

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love to see people grabbing these pumps before they hit the crusher. Once they are gone, that's it.

Keep up the good work on the truck!

Chris

bronco78idi

Reaction score
Just an update. I have been working on the frame and body. I am waiting for my pump and injectors to come back. thanks for checking in

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We are mostly waiting for this to be on the road making gravel fly everywhere. Will continue to wait and watch. Thanks for saving more pumps too.:thumbsup: