Looking for Input on boring 6.9 to 7.3

bronco78idi

Reaction score
Hey IDIoit

Thank you for the questions. I really didn’t know much about diesels when I got started. I was a gassier guy with Chevy and Pontic. But I Love 78-79 Ford trucks and Bronco’s. You know it always made my friends nuts.

I started doing research on hot rodding a diesel, but after talking to tons of people this just didn’t exist. So I met some Great friends on different forms and must have spent two months reading and scratching my head. I met Justin and all the hard work he has put into these engine builds and product http://idiperformance.com/. I also talked to my buddy Craig that really is the hard working guy in the back that pushes me and also said he didn’t think the rockers would do much, but I said it would be fun to find out. Over kill, sure but I have them and more than anything I want to see if they will make the engine sound different. I found info the Hypermax build that everyone argues about. So that started me on finding what more I could do.

I did not find much on of the rotating assembly. After I had the engine balanced I found a company that would create custom rod with bigger pins of 2500.00 but I was talked out of that, So I just did everything I could to make the bottom the best it could be. Mostly had bearing, crank, rods, pistons coated, balancing, etc.

The valves
Exhaust Valve (Stellite) “Stellite alloy is a range of cobalt-chromium alloys designed for wear resistance. It may also contain tungsten or molybdenum and a small but important amount of carbon.
Intake Valves (Perfect Circle) Don’t have the info on them.

The motor has been build and sitting at the machine shop for a year. During that time other who have been doing similar builds had problems with studs. So I am tearing down after the first to fix the problem. I hope!

The plan is this using 180cc pump from Justin and his trick on the injectors, them adding compound turbo setup.
This is really a huge build not just the motor. I have the rear end in the shop being rebuilt Dana 60, ARB Air locker, Yukon 35 Spline Axles. The Dana 44 front ARB Air Locker, 30 Spline RCV setup. Etc.. I am into this 5K.

Now a bigger problem I picked up a 79 F350 I am now also in the middle of a resto build and I picked up a 7.3 IDI I am rebuilding for it. To say the least my wife is not happy about the output of these projects so it gets slow at times. I am hoping to have both rolling chassis by end of January.

Really I am building 2 new Trucks. 90% is all new. The Frame of the Bronco is at the powder coaters and I am working on getting the F350 frame to them in a week or so.

Hope this answers your questions and Thank you!
Robert

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you answered most of them, greatly appreciate the insight.
its gonna be a while before im ready to build a badass 7.3
hell ive been collecting parts for my poncho 472 for the past 3 years. lol
i also have many other projects in the works.
next thing on my bucket list is making my crew cab into a 6 door rig,
the truck runs great, but ive recently found the need for more room.

whats the location of IDIpeformance?
turns out im 50 miles from you, are they a local shop?
i tried to look up an address but i could only find "washington"

ill be keeping an eye on this and stalking your progress!
thanks for the response

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what material are your valves made of? i have been building gassers for a while and i use nothing short of stainless valves.

I believe that typ4 on this site has SS valves for the IDI, and they're reasonably priced.

That being said, I am not convinced that SS is the best material for a valve. It is quite hard and corrosion resistant, but it also has significantly lower thermal conductivity than carbon steel, which means the valve will run hotter since the valve is cooled by heat conduction through the stem and seat. Nothing wrong with them, but also not something you need to hold out for.

Stellite is a hard coating applied to the valve stem tip and seat - the main valve body is likely some steel alloy.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That being said, I am not convinced that SS is the best material for a valve. It is quite hard and corrosion resistant, but it also has significantly lower thermal conductivity than carbon steel.

i do alot of boating, and SS is the best for a N/A gasser engine IMO. espically with jerry brown making us boat in damn near salt water on the sacremento delta.-cuss:backoff
now with diesels where EGT's are a concern, this is a whole different ball game! whn it comes time to build my 7.3 IDI, i will be exploring every option avaliable.