Looking for good programmer

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Is the read out on the edge programmer accurate? More accurate than actually autometer gauges like trans temp, EGT, and Boost?

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I see you have the edge evo rebel. Would you rather have that or the edge attitude with juice or the evo or are they somewhat the same?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Used to have it. Got rid of my 'Stroke a few years ago (unfortunately). The reason I went with the Edge Evo programmer was because I wanted a little more power but I also wanted something that would pull trouble codes, give me a basic description, and then reset the trouble codes. With that criteria, I knew I'd have to go with a programmer and since i had very good dealings with Edge's products before in my '01 LB7 Dmax, that's what I went with. The other benefit of the Evo was it is supposed to have the fastest upload times. On my Dmax I had the Juice (the attitude wasn't even out then) and only was concerned with more power, and it made a LOT of power. But when I was buying for my 'Stroke my demands and needs had changed.

Most of the time I ran it on the 60 HP setting and loved it. That setting gave me about the same in-town mileage (heavy right foot) and about 1-2 MPG on the highway with great EGTs even with just the stock exhaust straight piped. A 4" exhaust dropped my temps about 100* on this setting. I took a trip from Baton Rouge, LA to Phoenix, AZ where I loaded up the big U-Haul trailer and the back of the truck full of stuff including a Honda scooter cross-ways in front of the tailgate then drove back to BR. On this trip I ran it in the 80 HP setting in both directions. Going out there I want to say I was getting around 18-19 MPG running 80-90 and on the way back I got 15-16 with speeds of 75-80. There was only a few really long hard pulls and my EGTs never got above 1100* on those hills. Matter of fact even at those speeds I never lost 1 MPH on any hill out there with the load.

I only ran it in the 100 HP setting a few times and didn't notice a huge difference over 80 other than massive amounts of 'moke for the poor ******* in the right lane.

All in all I was very happy with the quality of the power from the Evo and the driving characteristics with it and the 6-speed.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Should I still get some autometer gauges no matter what kind of programmer i get? With the evo i would be savin some money since i really wouldnt need gauges if the evo readout is as accurate as gauges.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
If you get the Gen II Evo with the built-in gauges then no you do not need to get separate gauges since they're built in. If you get the "original" Evo like I had then you will need to get gauges sooner or later. You can get by with the 60 HP setting and cutting off the stock muffler for better flow but no more than that.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I will have to look into the evo II. How much is it? So it would just plug in under my dash I assume?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 6.0 I run a Livewire, on the 7.3 I ran a twildman 4 pos chip.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Would you rather run a chip than a programmer on a 7.3? I keep reading a lot on these programmers and chips. It seems the DP tuner is the way to go from what i've been readin. Damn too many choices!

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I will have to look into the evo II. How much is it? So it would just plug in under my dash I assume?

Thats what I have and it saves a fortune in gauges and holder and not to mention its much easier to install. It comes with a probe for the pyrometer so theres no reason to think autometer gauges or something else will be more accurate. It took me 45 minutes to install my edge and I love it and I know for sure I have 300hp to the rear wheels

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you rather run a chip than a programmer on a 7.3? I keep reading a lot on these programmers and chips. It seems the DP tuner is the way to go from what i've been readin. Damn too many choices!
My personal preference on my 7.3 was the chip, I ran a SCMT programmer on it for a while too. After going with a set of 160cc injectors the chip gave far better performance than the programmer.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I believe my injectors are stock. The whole truck was stock when i got it but well takin care of. Only thing i did to it was the tymar airfilter and cut the muffler off. Im gettin 15 to 16mpg so far. So far the DP tuner is the way to go from what i've read.