Looking for good programmer

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With my Stg I 160 cc squirts and the wildman chip set to an economy tune I was easily getting 18-19 mpg highway. And with a flip of the dial I was leaving SD's, duramaxs and cummins in the soot. In the tow tune I could hold very reasonable EGT's while towing a 26' TT at 70+ mph up and down grades throughout the Rockies while still getting 12-14 mpg.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
That sounds awesome. I've been in contact with DP askin their opinion on what i should do. Im happy with the 15-16mpg im gettin already. My cobra and motorcycle are the only vehicles i got that get better mileage. Im happy my big heavy truck gets such great mileage. My brothers 98 F150 4x4 with the 5.4 gets the same as my f250. But gettin better mileage out of my truck would be even better. I'd probably drive it all the time when i cant drive my motorcycle. Its just weird to think a big truck with a huge displacement motor can get awesome mileage with just a lil bit of work. I just wish diesel would go down in price damn it!

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
With my Stg I 160 cc squirts and the wildman chip set to an economy tune I was easily getting 18-19 mpg highway. And with a flip of the dial I was leaving SD's, duramaxs and cummins in the soot. In the tow tune I could hold very reasonable EGT's while towing a 26' TT at 70+ mph up and down grades throughout the Rockies while still getting 12-14 mpg.

I made 300 HP with my edge evo and Russ made 301 with Baby Swamps, Wildman 4 pos chip, SD intercooler, CCV Mod, shimmed FPR, BTS E4OD, On the same dyno the same day. But I was not after all out power I wanted something reliable with great customer support at a good price and thats what I got and get 18-19mpg with it. So for me its edge all the way when you figure in how much money you save not having to buy gauges holders or custom tunes the ease of istallation and all the adjustments you can make and scan and clear codes :thumbsup: Now if it was an OBS would probably lean towards a chip as they don't have as many options on thier programmers

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Well my friend just told me he has an Edge juice with attitude for around 300 bucks. Are those good?

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Rebel: did you like your edge evo? My buddy had the edge juice with attitude in his 00 powerstroke and he loved it. Saves me on gettin gauges too! We are gonna hook it up and make sure it works still. Anything I should look for when hookin one of these up or whenever im usin it?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Love my Evo and loved the power that the Juice I had on my '01 Dmax made as well. The only piece of advice on the gauge hook up is to take your time and do it right the first time. On the pyro install, you'll need to make sure you have the thermocouple and the bung for it, then go to the hardware store and get the right size drill bit and right size tap for it. Go slow and make sure you make good threads...you only get one shot at it.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I dont know if it comes with a thermocoupler. I didnt see it when i saw the set up from my friend. Is it possible it reads the EGT's from the computer?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Nope. EGTs can only be read by measuring the temperature of the exhaust gases and this is done by a measuring device (thermocouple) in the exhaust stream. There is no such device from the factory on any light duty diesel truck.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Thats what I thought. Where can I get a thermocoupler? Wonder if I should go ahead and get my 4" exhaust too?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Any online gauge retailer sells them. eGauges.com seems to be pretty cheap but you have to know what style thermocouple you need. Or you can probably contact Edge directly and they can either sell you what you need or at least tell you what to get.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Thanks for the info rebel. I will look around. Would it be ok to try this edge system out without the thermo coupler. Im just in it for fuel mileage. No racing it till i get the pyro hooked up correctly.

HJohnson

Reaction score
This is what I have in my truck: It has all the features you'll need as far as readouts, you have a choice of what you would like to see on the readout... adjustments and settings. It came with my truck, so I have to say I like it, really don't have any complaints about it.
Link below shows and tells all.

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/edge_evolution/ford_evolution_7.3_powerstroke_performance_programmer.htm

hope this helps
Dennis

So with this product, since it has readouts for EGT, trans temp, yada yada, does that mean you dont also need to get a mechanical guage package like the ISSPRO setup? This can do both jobs?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Yep as long as you buy the necessary sensors such as a thermocouple for EGTs, tubing to read boost, and sensor for trannie temp.

You don't need any of that stuff if you buy a new one it comes with the probe for the EGT's other wise it gets its info from all the sensors that the computer uses

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US