Looking for a good used 7.3 in SoCal

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody in the Central/SoCal area have a line on a good used 7.3? Mine developed a bad knock, threw injectors at it and no joy. Salvage yards here want $3500 (comes with a 90 day warranty). I can buy a junker truck with a diesel for less than that and swap engines. Need to tow the 5'r in March and I'm hurting for $$ (In a divorce right now), so don't know if I can throw the $$ at a rebuild right now.

Thanks,
Foz

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at the flexplate.? I've git a tuck with a cracked flexplate that knocks bad.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I guess I should check...cheaper than an engine but the one that is in there only has 49k miles on it. Wanna line up my options, cause if i commit to pulling the trans to check that....I wanna be ready to pull the engine to replace/rebuild etc if needed.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you dont have to pull the tranny.look up in the bell housing with a flashlight.if the flywheel is cracked you will see a rust trail around the crack/s.check you torque converter nuts as well as they can and do loosen up.if therye loose buy new nuts from ford and replace them

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Who told you the price for " good used engine" is $3500.00...:eek:cookoo Thats a new rebuilt price. And then you know what you have with an much better warrenty too... Run away from that deal and know you got away from a bad deal. Please tell us who is attempting a ripoof deal like this. I'm 80 miles south of you and would like to know who thinks they have a good deal like this for anyone with money to spend... This 3500 bucks id a well built rebuild with all the good stuff and great parts like a type4 cam amd oem Mahle parts. Al na internals are the same part no matter if is a 6.9 or 7.3. I even found some oem new rods on ebay for $40.00 eash. When was the last time you found a new anything 6.9 or 7.3 internal part....:D

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who told you the price for " good used engine" is $3500.00...:eek:cookoo Thats a new rebuilt price. And then you know what you have with an much better warrenty too... Run away from that deal and know you got away from a bad deal. Please tell us who is attempting a ripoof deal like this. I'm 80 miles south of you and would like to know who thinks they have a good deal like this for anyone with money to spend... This 3500 bucks id a well built rebuild with all the good stuff and great parts like a type4 cam amd oem Mahle parts. Al na internals are the same part no matter if is a 6.9 or 7.3. I even found some oem new rods on ebay for $40.00 eash. When was the last time you found a new anything 6.9 or 7.3 internal part....:D

i would suggest you start looking at salvage yard prices around me.a good diesel of any make starts at 1500 and goes up from there.a 7.3psd will run ya from 2500-4500.00

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Click on the Promar link on my sig. $3099 for new rebuild. You get master gasket kit to boot, O-rings to rebuild oil cooler, and so on. A good used engine is from $600-$1200 around here. You have some good help with Gary being nearby. I am not sure how far Towcat is from you but Calvin has some awesome insight on these rigs also.

If you are confident in your engine aside from the knock, you could have the crank checked out and put some new bearings in the thing and be way ahead of the game.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Click on the Promar link on my sig. $3099 for new rebuild. You get master gasket kit to boot, O-rings to rebuild oil cooler, and so on. A good used engine is from $600-$1200 around here. You have some good help with Gary being nearby. I am not sure how far Towcat is from you but Calvin has some awesome insight on these rigs also.

If you are confident in your engine aside from the knock, you could have the crank checked out and put some new bearings in the thing and be way ahead of the game. Good luck, keep us informed;Sweet

Darn double post got me.:(

Last edited:

DragRag

Reaction score
I have a good used short block if you have a knock. It may be just what the doctor ordered. I took it out of a running truck because it had an issue with one of the heads. I pulled the head, and it had one bad valve. Anyway, I am not really interested in replacing the valve and reassembling it because I still have a new engine on the ground ready to go in another truck. You could put your heads on this engine if you do have a rod knock, and be done. PM me or call if you want it. I have it sitting outside, but it is under plastic and wrapped well. I was not planning on selling it, but if you need it I will let it go. I am not So Cal, but I am more like Central Cal, and Coast side so I am not that far from you. 8319020544 Everett