Looking for a good IP shop

Trkfmrzrevenge

Reaction score
Hi All,
And thanks for this forum.
I just experienced a "heat soak" issue with my first diesel. Ran fine through the winter, now high 80's, 90's I let it sit for a while and it wouldn't restart. Two mornings later it started fine, however it does show a tendency to die when coming down to idle. From my research there seems to be all the symptoms of a worn IP.

Does anyone know of a good pump shop I can contact. I'm still building resources to get this ol' work truck roadworthy.
Tks...

Trkfmrzrevenge

Reaction score
BTW,
The truck is a '85 F250 6.9 IDI 4wd straight cab.
I cruised through Mel Agne's article as well.
Thanks for any help...

gandalf

Reaction score
Classicdieseldesigns.com
Russrepair.com
Idiperformance.com
conestogadiesel.com
These are known good suppliers for these pumps

Just to build on this a bit. Locations might be helpful.

Classic Diesel is in Texas
RussRepair is there in Oregon, near Portland
Idiperformance--not sure
ConestogaDiesel is Mel Agne, in Pennsylvania

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to build on this a bit. Locations might be helpful.

Classic Diesel is in Texas
RussRepair is there in Oregon, near Portland
Idiperformance--not sure
ConestogaDiesel is Mel Agne, in Pennsylvania
IDI Performance is here in Washington, just east of Kent.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guys on the list, above, are members here. We know them very well and trust them. I was at Classic Diesel's shop about two years back. I missed Wes so I did not get to see his shop or talk to him. :( My fault.

Trkfmrzrevenge

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm shopping through the list as we speak. Russ looks like a nice close option. This is definitely a project truck and the IP is one of several fix/upgrade items. Will keep you posted.

Mike

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm shopping through the list as we speak. Russ looks like a nice close option. This is definitely a project truck and the IP is one of several fix/upgrade items. Will keep you posted.

Mike

Keep in mind, you will be tempted to not pay the price one of these guys is asking. These are top quality built pumps.

Do not take the cheaper options you might find on google. Too much variance in quality of what you get. Lots of people spend 3/4 the price of a good pump just to save a few bucks and end up with a pump that doesn't work properly.

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Classic Design Diesel did a great rebuild and
Upgrade on my IP and Turbo. Wes is great to deal with.

Trkfmrzrevenge

Reaction score
The shops that don't specialize in IP's charge from $250 to "$595.00". Whereas those on the list are from $650.00 and up. In a previous life I worked in a machine shop, then USN (Navy electrician) so I have some first hand knowledge of close tolerances and their relationship to the wear cycle.
I ponied up for a CD of the factory repair manuals, several hundred megs of PDF's. Have yet to dig into the IP section, but I expect some interesting reading. Interestingly enough I noticed a maintenance caution to avoid pressure washing the front of the engine.
That said: Yes, you get what you pay for.

MDW