looking for a 4wd F350.. and do i dare say PS?

vanet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I showed what you guys wrote to the Diesel mechanic next door, and he wanted to add.

"Every Diesel Mechanic loves Powerstrokes, those that drive them because they can fix them, and those smart enough not to drive them because they keep them in business"

Couldnt have said it better myself.:rotflmao

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
...popcorn... hey If a powerstroke ran a p-pump I would use it! 12v and IDI is the way to go... when they set off the EMPs we can still drive (well IDI guys need to mod the pump fuel cut off)

I keep trying to talk myself into a PSD. Every time I think of spending big $ I just think of taking my sweet time in a IDI and knowing I can repair it on the highway in the dark.

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that less is more, therefore, I am happy with my 7.3 IDI, easier to repair than PS and parts in general more affordable. I felt this way about my 12v cummins -

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I can see you two morons own Powerstrokes, so you are either lying to us or lying to yourself. I dont know which.

Have you ever noticed when people look to do a re-power they are always looking at Cummins. When was the last time someone took a Powerstroke and dropped it in there non PS vehicle.

The reason you see so many CumminGs swaps because they are cheap and easy to make power.;Really

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
So basically this thread has turned into a ******* match between people who like Powerstrokes and people who like IDI's? I happen to own both, and am happy with both for what I use them for.

And just as an FYI, Ford hasn't made a Powerstroke until the 6.7 Scorpion. Up until then, it was Navistar / International. So if you're saying the designers of the Powerstrokes were idiots, then you're saying the same company who designed the 6.9/7.3 IDI was full of idiots. It was Ford who modified the 6.0 and 6.4 from the industrial versions, so Ford is to blame for those engines' failures. End rant.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I showed what you guys wrote to the Diesel mechanic next door, and he wanted to add.

"Every Diesel Mechanic loves Powerstrokes, those that drive them because they can fix them, and those smart enough not to drive them because they keep them in business"

when you say powerstroke, you are talking about the pre 6.0 junk??

Black dawg

Reaction score

when you say powerstroke, you are talking about pre the 6.0 junk??

I dont think I have heard anybody with as much bad to say about a 7.3 stroke as you. I am far from a powerstroke fan, but they have proven to be a good dependable setup. I work on far more dodge diesels than any other truck (gas or diesel), but the type of people that drive these trucks really influence the types of failures they have.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
7.3 Powerstrokes are great engines, and the 6.0 and 6.4 are headaches. Cummins is more reliable than all three...

As to the trucks you are looking at, I would go with the factory turbo truck. That truck looks pretty nice,.

vanet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when you say powerstroke, you are talking about the pre 6.0 junk??
My personal experiance, has been mostly 6.0. BUT Several friends have had early and late PS. And the problems have been many and expensive. I will say that the externals have been allot more to blame than the engine itself. So I would certainly blame Ford allot more than Navistar. The newest engine although I havnt heard much good yet, cant really be called a powerstroke, Ford is just reuseing the name. It is a totally different engine than the ones before it.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I'm liking the first one you posted. I rather put a rebuilt trans in a truck with shiny paint than worry about replacing a flat bed that I don't like.

Careful with the ******* matches. Many here enjoy this site because we don't need to filter through unnecessary banter to find the important parts of a thread.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Bought this today. 89 Canadian made. ZF5 7.3 NA with 315/75 and I think 4.88 gears (55mph in 5th at 2k rpm)

Motor needs work. Runs like a dead cylinder. Smokes bad till it warms up. Still randomly starts smoking. Injectors leaking. New clutch and SMF

vanet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Find!! I have been looking for that truck for sometime with no success. Good luck with getting her up to par.

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Bought this today. 89 Canadian made. ZF5 7.3 NA with 315/75 and I think 4.88 gears (55mph in 5th at 2k rpm)

Motor needs work. Runs like a dead cylinder. Smokes bad till it warms up. Still randomly starts smoking. Injectors leaking. New clutch and SMF

nice find. that is about the same speed/rpm i am at and i'm pretty sure i have 4.10s if nothing has been modified from factory

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I don't get it... how could I go 55 at 2000 and first gear actually feels granny. Now we f talking about a single cab 2wd zf5 truck and a CCLB 4wd on 35s.

I use grim keepers gear calculator
nice find. that is about the same speed/rpm i am at and i'm pretty sure i have 4.10s if nothing has been modified from factory

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online