looking for a 4wd F350.. and do i dare say PS?

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
hey all im selling my little red wagon so i can have a 4wd for the winter.. and beyond. i really want a SRW 1ton but im down for duallies. slant, brick or OBS.

i was even thinking OBS Powerstroke but $1500 injectors make my wallet choke. i love my IDI but i feel i really need a turbo.

my wallet also chokes when it hears about e4od trans so zf5 is top priority

1994 Ford f-350.... Id pay 3k because he has no idea if the trans was rebuilt. 1-2 shifts hard when cold softens up. dads truck owned since 95

turbo diesel. runs great, am/fm cassette, 201k miles, automatic, fifth wheel hitch.
REASONABLE OFFERS. KBB 4500, NADA 5500 Very Clean, excellent condition.

"grandpa special"

You must be registered for see images

1990 F350 $3000 i think hes firm. id pay it. no turbo :(

zf5 60k miles on rebuilt engine and trans. no turbo. zf5. lift kit. mud tires. basic truck besides AC.

nice flatbed but i have a near mint 87 bed i could repaint and throw on.

You must be registered for see images attach

1995 Powerstroke zf5 $4000 pretty firm im thinking 35-3800

needs front end work. heater core. cms "cps" w/e syncros are out

http://www.barefootconsulting.us/f350.html

1997 Powerstroke zf5 dana 50 front $4000obo im thinking 3k

says he let his brother borrow it and its leaking from rear main. told him to look for oil in the engine valley. he just called me and said there is oil in the valley so HPOP it is

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/3359720102.html

i also found a 2000 single cab 4x4 f350 with a zf6 with 250k... asking 6k needs tires. he would take $4 and a trade

Attachments

• 3Ec3K63Jf5Ne5Kf5F4cb39974d219985d18ea.jpg
    3Ec3K63Jf5Ne5Kf5F4cb39974d219985d18ea.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 3F83J23H35L15Ia5Edcb3dc2894cee7031121.jpg
    3F83J23H35L15Ia5Edcb3dc2894cee7031121.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 3E93G13H85Ia5Y25E9cb34a4090cfc0d51f34.jpg
    3E93G13H85Ia5Y25E9cb34a4090cfc0d51f34.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 3Ia3J93H75Lb5G85F6cb34c39eae416021e99.jpg
    3Ia3J93H75Lb5G85F6cb34c39eae416021e99.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You can always find the 4x4 srw IDI You like and add a turbo to it, maybe easier this way.
My 6.9l doesn't have a turbo and granted I don't use this one to pull trailers it has all the power I need.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont understand why you guys bring up injector cost when thinking about a psd.the psd injector will last 300,000 if you keep the fuel and oil clean.unlike the idi there are no return lines that leak if you sneeze on them, no 600 dollar injection pump,

The psd is a very good engine.just as reliable as an idi.has the potential to make more power than you will need.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Yeah but all the trucks I can afford have 200-300k. Also don't like that couple hundred dollar gas pedal. I love the idea of a powerstroke but can seem to get over being squeemish about something so expensive I wouldn't be able to afford to fix myself. The teal and white truck just needs a resealed hpop apparently.

Im scared of power strokes lol. I use to drive a obs f450 PS hook lift mini bin truck. Stage 2 injectors. Turbo. Chip. Built 4r100. Pulled alot of weight but sucked alot of fuel. Never let me down but the fuel bowl cap could never seal right

I dont understand why you guys bring up injector cost when thinking about a psd.the psd injector will last 300,000 if you keep the fuel and oil clean.unlike the idi there are no return lines that leak if you sneeze on them, no 600 dollar injection pump,

The psd is a very good engine.just as reliable as an idi.has the potential to make more power than you will need.

vanet

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Spoken like a true PS Fan. I beg to differ. I have owned 3 power strokes and with close friends that own them and will tell the truth I have about 7 to draw from. I also share my building with a diesel Mech.

Here is what I have found. PS injectors are good on average for about 150K I have at times gotten more, sometimes even allot more, but have also gotten less many times. Fuel pumps are good for about the same but also have gotten less a few times. The high pressure oil pump is good for 200k plus, BUT when it goes it is pricey. One thing you didnt mention at all is the electrics this is where the diesel mechanic comes in. He would get 4 PS's in his shop for every cummins, idi, or dura-max. The problem was usually electric. Computers going out all the time to the tune of 6 or 700 bucks. Also much more money to fix than any other diesel other than cummins. He said he has seen PS's with 7 or 800K on them, but not many. He drives an older cummins and says exactly what you said about the PS about the IDI " Take care of them and they will run forever". My own most recent experiance is with a 6.0. I dont even have to go into all the issues I had with a $40k truck,you have all heard about EGT and the head gasket and the alternator etc. etc.

I have been driving Fords for 35 years. I own 4 right now and I wouldnt buy a used powerstroke unless the deal was so good, I could save 6or 7k to fix all the problems I know would need fixing. Even then I wouldnt trust it as my only vehicle. I have spent too much time on the side of the road waiting next to one. The 6.0 was the last one I bought, and I thought this thing is so new, (about12K when purchased) I shouldnt have any issues right? Wrong I spent more than 10K keeping that thing running the first year I owned it. I sold it after three years when things I had replaced in the first year started to fail again this time at about 146K. In my humble opinion Ford made a huge mistake when they dropped the IDI for the PS. And they keep right on doing it again changeing their engine every 3 or 4 years without getting any of them right. Brother in law has 2012 and has already had it in the shop 4 times and has less than 40K on it. Just my .02 Van

vanet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to get into fuel milage. The 6.0 had real good power. BUT it got 12 mpg! I have talked to dozens of 6.0 guys and have had a few tell me they got 20. But when you push them they are going by the computer or guessing. I have never met ANYONE getting better than 15mpg out of a 6.0 that has actually calculated it ovr a period of time. OK Rant over now back to our regularly scheduled program.:D

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not interested in the mass wiring. I almost bought a 99 zf6 truck for cheap that was well maintained but chickened out when my brain started running around big $$$$ plus the dana 60s are ball joint! Plus 99+ trucks feel too heavy.

I think I'm going with the zf5 1990 srw 350 with the flatbed

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Yeah but all the trucks I can afford have 200-300k. Also don't like that couple hundred dollar gas pedal. I love the idea of a powerstroke but can seem to get over being squeemish about something so expensive I wouldn't be able to afford to fix myself. The teal and white truck just needs a resealed hpop apparently.

Im scared of power strokes lol. I use to drive a obs f450 PS hook lift mini bin truck. Stage 2 injectors. Turbo. Chip. Built 4r100. Pulled alot of weight but sucked alot of fuel. Never let me down but the fuel bowl cap could never seal right

I would not let the TPS stop me from buying a PSD. Its not a common failure part. Most of the repairs can be done without any electronic help. If you can trouble shoot a mechanical injected diesel, you should be able to work on an EFI diesel. Really, they are that simple. Best thing do your homework on the PSD. See if its for you. :D

Any FSuperduty will be a fuel hog. Hopped up or not. With that gearing the pedal is always on the floor.:rotflmao

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Lets say I want to buy a 97 PSD that has a leaking hpop. What's the cheapest place to get a replacement that doesn't have 300k! I know I could reseal it but why?

I would not let the TPS stop me from buying a PSD. Its not a common failure part. Most of the repairs can be done without any electronic help. If you can trouble shoot a mechanical injected diesel, you should be able to work on an EFI diesel. Really, they are that simple. Best thing do your homework on the PSD. See if its for you. :D

Any FSuperduty will be a fuel hog. Hopped up or not. With that gearing the pedal is always on the floor.:rotflmao

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spoken like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Spoken like a true PS Fan. I beg to differ. I have owned 3 power strokes and with close friends that own them and will tell the truth I have about 7 to draw from. I also share my building with a diesel Mech.

Here is what I have found. PS injectors are good on average for about 150K I have at times gotten more, sometimes even allot more, but have also gotten less many times. Fuel pumps are good for about the same but also have gotten less a few times. The high pressure oil pump is good for 200k plus, BUT when it goes it is pricey. One thing you didnt mention at all is the electrics this is where the diesel mechanic comes in. He would get 4 PS's in his shop for every cummins, idi, or dura-max. The problem was usually electric. Computers going out all the time to the tune of 6 or 700 bucks. Also much more money to fix than any other diesel other than cummins. He said he has seen PS's with 7 or 800K on them, but not many. He drives an older cummins and says exactly what you said about the PS about the IDI " Take care of them and they will run forever". My own most recent experiance is with a 6.0. I dont even have to go into all the issues I had with a $40k truck,you have all heard about EGT and the head gasket and the alternator etc. etc.

I have been driving Fords for 35 years. I own 4 right now and I wouldnt buy a used powerstroke unless the deal was so good, I could save 6or 7k to fix all the problems I know would need fixing. Even then I wouldnt trust it as my only vehicle. I have spent too much time on the side of the road waiting next to one. The 6.0 was the last one I bought, and I thought this thing is so new, (about12K when purchased) I shouldnt have any issues right? Wrong I spent more than 10K keeping that thing running the first year I owned it. I sold it after three years when things I had replaced in the first year started to fail again this time at about 146K. In my humble opinion Ford made a huge mistake when they dropped the IDI for the PS. And they keep right on doing it again changeing their engine every 3 or 4 years without getting any of them right. Brother in law has 2012 and has already had it in the shop 4 times and has less than 40K on it. Just my .02 Van

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Lets say I want to buy a 97 PSD that has a leaking hpop. What's the cheapest place to get a replacement that doesn't have 300k! I know I could reseal it but why?

Terminator Engineering; go for the T500. It's $460 with a core, and $660 without. It's a totally rebuilt, modified HPOP. Probably the best you can buy for the money and what you're getting with it.

vanet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking.
Spoken like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

I can see you two morons own Powerstrokes, so you are either lying to us or lying to yourself. I dont know which.

Have you ever noticed when people look to do a re-power they are always looking at Cummins. When was the last time someone took a Powerstroke and dropped it in there non PS vehicle.

Look up Boys there is a big bright world out there, and in the real world the powerstroke is what it is. A poor design that Ford keeps changing because they never have gotten it right. Hell they all but admitted it when they abandon the Powerstroke for there new design. When you little fellars get tall enough to see over the dash you will realize this.

In the mean time, just keep fixing those PS's some of us just got tired of it.;Really

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online