Looking at Synthetics....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey folks. Justin's fuel economy thread has got me to thinking about if synthetics are a good idea for my motor. I recall some member here used Rotella's synthetic blend with good results unless it was the 5w/40 synthetic. Would I be less likely to have leaks and such during the adjustment phase on my old 6.9. I'm also interested in using some sort of syn. oils in my T19 and in my 10.25. Anyone have thoughts or experience on the synthetic blend? Good idea or just stay with dino or go all the way syn.?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've been using and selling synthetics for over 25 years. the reason you can get leaks is that they do such a great job of cleaning, eventually, synthetics will condition the seals to where the leaks will subside, but it takes an awful long ...expensive time.
Anymore, before switching a high mileage engine over, I run a treatment or two of Auto RX first. it takes care of the seals before putting the synthetic in and gets the rings good and clean to make sure that oil consumption will be at a minimum ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
As far as synthetic blend, if oil consumption is an issue, then cost is an issue, and a blend might be a good option. you get partial benifits of reduced friction and a few other things, but less cost. if you don't have an oil eater, then a straight synthetic is the best choice, but for an engine that inhales oil, I can't reccomend a straight synthetic with a clean concience .

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That was my plan. I was thinking about just buying a case of Delo 400, and then running a treatment of Auto Rx through it. I'm currently taking in about a quart every 500 miles...

tractorman86

Reaction score
Boy aint that the truth :bail
I may not live rich , but I'll die without a care :Thumbs Up

that's all that matters:thumbsup: so you having this experience with synthetics, you must be the guy to ask:hail . i have been pondering an amsoil setup for quite some time now and figured it would be a perfect time to do it while i put on my turbo. how much would it run me to do the conversion, and what all do i need?:dunno finding a dealer around here is kind of a joke too, there is just a bunch of random PEOPLE listed in their dealer locator.cookoo

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that guy from AutoRx should make you a dealer as much as you plug their stuff, but I hear everyone say you're right about it. How much should I use just with regular oil change intervals and dino oils? And how long before I can dump in some synthetic or SB rotella without worrying too much about leaks? Any idea of what good synthetics can go in my 10.25 or T19??

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah, that guy from AutoRx should make you a dealer as much as you plug their stuff, but I hear everyone say you're right about it. How much should I use just with regular oil change intervals and dino oils? And how long before I can dump in some synthetic or SB rotella without worrying too much about leaks? Any idea of what good synthetics can go in my 10.25 or T19??

I looked on there site, they said that on engines with over 100,000 miles, to do two cylces of the stuff. Each time will take 2 12ounce bottles. Around $80. They said they dont recomend using it with synthetic oil's. I think my next oil change, I will go regular Delo 400, and then add the Auto Rx, and just do one time of it. IMHO my motor is in pretty good shape by the looks of things when I pulled the valve covers off during the turbo install. Even Russ and Shane said it looked good in there.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
that's all that matters:thumbsup: so you having this experience with synthetics, you must be the guy to ask:hail . i have been pondering an amsoil setup for quite some time now and figured it would be a perfect time to do it while i put on my turbo. how much would it run me to do the conversion, and what all do i need?:dunno finding a dealer around here is kind of a joke too, there is just a bunch of random PEOPLE listed in their dealer locator.cookoo

For the engine, you really should run the auto rx treatment (s) first to get those rings good and clean( you might be amazed how much more compression you may get out of the thing) and take care of the seals so you don't have to worry about leaks. this will take a while to run that stuff through, but it's worth it,it will save you money in the long run.

PM me and let me know if you're thinking about switching the engine, diffs or?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

Ha.. the funny thing is I regularly shoot myself in the foot with that stuff. People come to me with cars that have seals gushing oil leaks wanting to pay me to fix them and what do I do....that stuff is costing me a fortune in lost seal jobs cookoo :rotflmao

Read the instructions carefully. 2 ounces per quart of oil. use it with dino oil while running the treatments, so you'll need two bottles of the stuff.
If the engine has over 100k miles on it you will want to run two full treatments which means you will need 4 bottles. After the second rinse cycle is completed you will be able to switch to synthetic.
You can run any quality synthetic gear oil in the rear end. If it's a posi, make sure the synthetic you get is compatible or get the extra limited slip additive like you would with regular oil ( some synthetics require the addition of the limited slip additive, some don't ). Stay with a lighter grade for fuel efficiency,like 75w-90. Don't go with something like a 140 or the extra fluid drag will just cost you in fuel mileage

Ill have to double check ( don't see a year in your sig ), but it looks like the t19 tranny calls for 10w-40synthetic motor or 15w-40 synthetic diesel oil, if it's 4x4 the transfer case calls for atf

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Robert. I'll give that a try and see what it does. My motor is not too bad on oil these days. Goes through about 2-2.5 quarts between changes. Seems to use less with the turbo on than when I had the CDR in its stock location. It does have a good bit of blowby but I'm sure a good cleaning would help it, not hurt it. The T19 I have is out of an 85 or 86, its going in my 86 its a 2WD if it matters.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i'll try the auto RX, i have next to nothing for oil consumption though so i think i'm ok there but it cant hurt. i've got a 50wt syn in the trans but i am putting a nother trans in soon. (all the gears work right in the new one! LOL) i'll do syn. in the motor, trans, transfer, and diffies all at once. how should i mix the auto RX in the trans, transfer, and diffies for a cleaning before i switch?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Robert. I'll give that a try and see what it does. My motor is not too bad on oil these days. Goes through about 2-2.5 quarts between changes. Seems to use less with the turbo on than when I had the CDR in its stock location. It does have a good bit of blowby but I'm sure a good cleaning would help it, not hurt it. The T19 I have is out of an 85 or 86, its going in my 86 its a 2WD if it matters.

Yup, either the 10w-40 or the 15w-40 will be fine in the T19. it takes 7 pints. Either one is basically a 40 wt lube, the 10w-40 wil shift a hair easier when cold, the 15w-40 may be a bit quieter, and it will be a bit stouter. Either one in a synthetic is going to give you less friction that what you are getting with dino oil hands down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7