Look what the f- twofiddy drug home

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked this up off Craigslist yesterday. Its an 87 cab and chassis with a five speed. It needs return lines, glow plug system work and a wheel cylinder, but it runs great and shifts through all gears without any grinding.
It will eventually be a flat bed dump to replace my 71 1310 harvester which is getting too rusty to hold itself together.
Not bad for $900.
You must be registered for see images attach

Not sure yet what I will do with the 1310, but if I pull the dump off of it, will the Pto off of its t-19 work on a zf?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seller traded a couple of racing go carts for it. He had only had it a couple months and didn't appear to have done anything to it. someone has worked on it at some point recently. It seems to have a new alternator, voltage regulator, and vaccuum pump. The return lines are pouring fuel out and the wait to start light will not go out at all. One brake line in the rear is hammered shut. The guy I bought it from said the PO had done that to be able to deliver it without having all the brake fluid run out a bad wheel cylinder on the 100 mile trip he supposedly made delivering it.
I have not looked too closely at it yet. The batteries seem to be taking a charge which is encouraging and the a/c still has a charge!
The frame has been cut and shortened at some point in its life, but it appears to have been a long time ago with no cracked welds and the tire wear is consistent.
So far everything looks good on it, it seems too good to be true for the price so I am still curious if I will find anything else once I dig deeper.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
will the Pto off of its t-19 work on a zf?

I will dig a little deeper into this on Monday, but I'm pretty sure the ZF and T19 power take offs are not interchangeable. I assume you are running a passenger side opening, can you confirm?

Thanks

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, the t-19 is running a driver's side pto and (having now looked closer) it will not work like it is on the ford because of the front tank. I am starting to rethink the whole bed swap idea. Right now my hydraulic pump and reservoir tank are mounted to the underside of the bed making it easy to take off and reinstall, but with the front tank in the way I will need to refab all that. It may be easier just to find another hydraulic bed to put on it. My 1310 has a single telescoping cylinder and I would rather have a scissor lift so the bed can be flat and I can see through my back glass.
Hopefully I can get the return lines and glow plugs straightened out today.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the old info I have on the T19 versus ZF5.

I can try to help you out if you are running a Chelsea power take off.

Good luck

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Looks like if I am reading right, the t-19 takes a 32 tooth and the zf takes a 41?
The international definitely has a chelsea take off.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got this rig out on the road today. Put in new glow plugs, return lines, push button start, and replaced a bad wheel cylinder. Truck drives great. Even the cruise control works. I wish I new about its history. In addition to the new alternator, vac pump, and voltage regulator, I got under it today and realized the starter is pretty new as well. Both batteries took a charge.
On the badside, after coming off the interstate today the oil pressure dropped below the 7 psi needed to keep the factory gauge in the normal range. Since I don't have any history on oil I went to change it and found that the oil drain plug is stripped. I found the dump bed today I want in a junkyard. That will be next weekend's project.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Get a real gauge before condoning the engine.
I had one that would sporadically drop now and then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

looks like the body you picked up was cleaner.
sadly i didnt get any paper work with mine.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a real gauge before condoning the engine.
I had one that would sporadically drop now and then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Mine changes based on where I have the tank selector or if the wipers are running. I don't even look at it anymore. In my 250 (1989) my gauge is pegged beyond high and if I had that much oil pressure the 300-6 in it would explode. They're not almost ever right, definitely get a real gauge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828