Look what the f- twofiddy drug home

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Get a real gauge before condoning the engine.
I had one that would sporadically drop now and then.

Mine changes based on where I have the tank selector or if the wipers are running. I don't even look at it anymore. In my 250 (1989) my gauge is pegged beyond high and if I had that much oil pressure the 300-6 in it would explode. They're not almost ever right, definitely get a real gauge.

Picked up a three guage set yesterday, but didn't get a chance to install.

Glad you have decided to go that route, because I agree with Jasper and Brian..... I am experiencing something similar on a "newer" Ford.....

Mine is a ground/sender issue. This is in the 2000 P71.... if there is a lot of moisture in the air, or it is precipitating... when at idle in gear, the oil pressure gauge will bang back and forth from the high and low pegs as fast as it can move. The needle is a blur as it moves. Or, it just drops to the bottom (L)..... just touch the gas pedal, or bump it into neutral, problem clears..... no rattling or knocking from the engine, so it has oil pressure...... but, if the weather is nice..... the needle behaves properly..........

One thing I've tried is a ground wire from the block/alternator, to the negative battery post. I do believe I have a grounding issue, as all the lights are brighter, and it even seems to be idling smoother.....

Just some things to ponder......