Long road trip to get another one?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted, eh? Been to busy. Might as well share my interesting road trip tow bar towing a lifted F250.

2 weeks ago, I took off with 2 friends to drive up in Northern Quebec to go get an F250 he bought. I had to tow it back.

From Ottawa to Saguanay, took us 8 hours, 3 short stops along the way.

And 12-13 hours to come back down. Couldn't drive over 45-50mph all the way back cause of the truck I was towing, anything over 45-50mph, it would start violently swaying side to side, pushing the back of the van side to side.

Towing a 1987 F250 4x4, 5spd 6.9L. Yes an original 6.9/ZF5 truck! On 35" tires, with a horrible alignment. Mounted my tow bar to his bush bar and away we went.

On the way up, first tank got 19.0mpg, doing no more than 60mph. 2nd tank, getting into mountains (4-12% grades), it dropped to 16.4mpg, same speed.

3.54's with E4OD combo. TC doesn't lock on the E4OD, OD works though.

On the way back, towing that truck, I only calculated 1 tank, first one witch was in the mountains, and it was 11.7mpg. In most of those hills, pedal to the floor, I wasn't able to keep speed, was dropping down to ~35mph. It felt just like driving the motorhome in the hills. Weight was probably similar to.

Van is 6400lbs, and that truck must be about the same, so a good 12,000-13,0000lbs.

I did the trip straight non stop, took us 22 hours, 20 hours of driving, 1500km (around 1000 miles).

Best part....didn't burn a drop of oil! Van has 372,000km (233k miles), but engine was rebuilt 107k miles ago (original block suffered from Cavitation according to the original owner).

Anyways, never again am I tow bar towing a truck like this, for that kind of distance again! God was I glad when I got home.

Anyways, pics!

You must be registered for see images attach

Beautiful drive up there!

Lots of mountains!

Hooked up, and ready to start coming back!

Truck is in pretty good shape to, except drivers floor needs to be redone, but it doesn't run, fuel pump is dead, so got a good deal on it.

And needless to say, truck was all black on the passenger by the time we got back home, from the black smoke from the van up in the hills!

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Nice pics man, good to see you back again Jon.

As far as "legality" is it legal to tow that way? Or different in Canada? Honestly just curious but I can only imagine how good it felt to finally be back home.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats why I love trailers man. Good on you sticking with it despite the adventures but I would never tow bar a vehicle unless it was a desperate times/measures kind of thing. ;)

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
excellent mileage figures. How did it feel witht he towbar exactly?
PS what cb antennas are those? do they come in black?

nvm i see it was violenelty swaying

Last edited:

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Felt exactly like towing a heavy trailer. When turning, truck turns itself, doesn't drag on the van or anything.

Those are Firesticks, that I got from Flying J truck stop here in Canada not to far from me. And yes they do come in black.