Locker rear end

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
With how my peg leg kicker as I affectionally call it (open diff) performs when the snow flies I'm looking for ways to actually make it drive up my driveway. I was stumbling around the net and found that Lock Right makes a locker rear end that is supposed to drop right in.

Is this something that I can tackel here at the house? I have heard horror stories of guys not getting back lash set correctly on their rear ends which leads to the teeth on the ring and pinion being destroyed. Is this something that I'm going to have to be concerned with because I'm not looking to change my gearing just want both wheels to have traction.

I found this cool video demo which really opened my eyes to the effect of a locker compared to a limited slip rear end.

>>> Click Here <<<

Doggy Daddy

Reaction score
Hmmmmm...

Test Vehicles:
1. Ford F150, 4 Wheel Drive, Open Differential.
2. Dodge Turbo Diesel, 4 Wheel Drive with Factory Installed Limited Slip, Front and Rear.
3. 1970 Ford F100, 2 Wheel Drive with Powertrax

Did Dodge ever offer front limited slip on the CTD? I vaugely remember it on the 1500 "Off Road" pkg.

I couldn't wait long enough for the demo to load, satellite connection not strong enough today, I guess. I am assuming that the trucks without their product had the wheels that were on the conveyer belt spinning and barely making headway while the truck with their locker drove right across?

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep pretty much. The limited slip one did move but not all that fast, then once they hitched a boat up to the back of the Dodge it could not make it across the rollers - now the Ford with the locker drove right across like no ones business.

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
Its a pretty easy install. On a scale of 1 through 10 I'd rate it a 3+
You might need an extra pair of hands to push in the axle to remove the C clip if so equipped.
grease up the little spring to hold it in place

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well just got off the phone with Jegs - it's on order $399.99 after their "free" shipping :rolleyes: (10 dollar handling fee)

Should be in my hot little hands in about 2-3 weeks they suspect - they don't have one on the shelf.

So far it looks like I have a Dana 70/80 Hybrid which is Dana 70 axle shafts with 35 spline with a Dana 80 carrier... This is all the info I could dig off the internet so if it's wrong I will find out about the time I go to stuffing the junk in the pumpkin...

I'm looking forward to be able to drive up my drive way come Jan when the snow starts flying in these parts. Plus I will be able to lay rubber from more than one tire :peelout ;Sweet

Doggy Daddy

Reaction score
I believe the difference in the Dana 70 & 80 carrier (the part you are replacing) is the radius of the bolt pattern for the ring gear. I believe that when my buddy installed a Detroit that he had an 80 which was not listed and he successfully installed the carrier for a 70 with a minimal amount of modification. If it come to that I can find out what he had to do to make it work.

I'd kind of like to have an air locker on the front.....

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Air locker - that is what I really want but for the money I can live with it just working on it's own. I have to consider that I'm only going to keep this truck for another 2 winters then it's off to another truck... I'm going to save all the parts I take out so that I can return it to stock in case the next truck I get has the same axle config and needs the mod... That is IF the install is as easy as I hope...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
argve said:
I have to consider that I'm only going to keep this truck for another 2 winters then it's off to another truck...
Two questions...first, why are you only keeping the truck for 2 more years?

Second, any idea how much you'll sell her for? :Sly If she's still in one piece after the 2 years are up, it's proof-positive that the 12 valve is about the most indestructible engine out there :D and I might have the $$ for something like that 2 years from now ;Sweet been wanting a 12 valve 5 speed for a long time now (of course, this is to complement the IDI, NOT replace her)...

rubberfish

Reaction score
The Warden said:
any idea how much you'll sell her for? been wanting a 12 valve 5 speed for a long time now
What??? You want that old wreck?
Look how bad it smokes? LOL LOL
Stinky, clattery old 12 valves. ;Sweet

It's nice to see a stick, :thumbsup: most guys buy an auto. cookoo
Nice truck Travis, you'll regret selling it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Attachments

• vbgarage.php.jpg
    vbgarage.php.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 21

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Tim,

The reason I'm planning on selling her is I'm not going to get myself into a situation where a truck is going to nickle and dime me like The Enterprise was. I was constantly fixing things on her (little things) and I just don't want to go down that road again. Plus after a few winters here in the midwest will start to take it's toll on the body.

I have not seen any rust formation yet (I've been keeping a close eye) but pretty much as soon as I see some starting it's out the door and off my property type of thing. I give her a weekly wash and in the winter it's two or three times a week but still the salt will win - this I know.

But maybe she will prove me wrong who knows... She's got 203k miles on the ticker now and in that picture I think it was around 198k or so...

That's ok Bob I'll just get another one... next one will be a short bed 4x4 quad cab fire engine RED :thumbsup: More than likely it will be a 24v model though... Heck I was crusing some ads on the net just last week but that idea was killed when once Sherri found out - we got a new dining room table and chairs along with a new kitchen table and chairs on order as I type...

rubberfish

Reaction score
argve said:
that idea was killed when once Sherri found out - we got a new dining room table and chairs along with a new kitchen table and chairs on order as I type...
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
Ah,,,,the joys of being married with children :cry:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
argve said:
The reason I'm planning on selling her is I'm not going to get myself into a situation where a truck is going to nickle and dime me like The Enterprise was. I was constantly fixing things on her (little things) and I just don't want to go down that road again. Plus after a few winters here in the midwest will start to take it's toll on the body.
Travis,

Ah, okay...I keep forgetting about the cancer factor (spoiled by the weather in the Peoples Republic :angel: ) still worth thinking about, though...have to see where everything stands when the time comes :) I've never owned anything that didn't try to nickel & dime me, although the Benz has been pretty good about it (OTOH, I'm running her into the ground at this point)...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well I recieved the package today in the mail... Too bad I'm working 7 days this week and I think I'm working 6 days next week... so it maybe a while until I can get time to install it. So for the mean time I can at least ****** it from time to time...

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
the lock rite is a "lunchbox locker" which meanes you will have the same carier it just goes inside of the factory one. Your back lash will be the same!!