lock cylinder internals broken...again.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
the first time it happened i had the part welded at my dads work. it was made of what is referred to as "white metal" its a pourous, non ferrious metal. well it broke again.

im going to remove the steering wheel and remove the locking pin so that the wheel has no chance in locking while driving.

and im going to install a push button start, this is where i have questions.

how many switches am i going to need?

i know that i need one for accessory mode, and one for the plugs, and a push for the starting itself, but there is another click that i dont know what goes on. its inbetween off and when the plugs come on.

basically, has anyone done this before? if not, ill figure it out, but id like to know at least what not to do from personal experience.

currently i have the switch hanging on the side of the steering column, and im starting it with a screw and manually engaging the switch.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
problem fixed yesterday. i guess ford actually carries this part in stock all the time and wanted $11.00 for it. 2 hours later i start her like normal people do again.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Sweet, I am still starting Droopy the plow truck with a screwdriver under the dash,.. I removed the steering colum from Big Ed, and replacing it with one from a 5 speed, so that is my parts coulmn for Droopy.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
problem fixed yesterday. i guess ford actually carries this part in stock all the time and wanted $11.00 for it. 2 hours later i start her like normal people do again.

What part broke, I have to turn my key way far towards the dash and am afraid the damn thing is going to brake.

Jim

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine gets out of alignment sometimes. The inside and out side have seperated or something and sometimes the key won't go in. I have had this problem with every ford I have ever owned.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What part broke, I have to turn my key way far towards the dash and am afraid the damn thing is going to brake.

Jim

do a search here for a post by me about repairing broken columns.i have pictures of what parts is broken and how to fix it.its a very common problem with the older fords.and its not really all that difficult to replace either.