Location of RABS fuse?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here.

If I have posted this wrong, please let me know.

I have just bought a 1989 F250 diesel. 7.3 IDI

Then promptly put another 600 dollars into the brakes. Yet it still has a soft brake. Acting like the infamous internal bleeddown in the master cylinder. (MC was just replaced.)

After reading here for the past couple of days I think the problem may be the RABS valve. But before I go and bypass or replace that valve, I'd like to try removing the RABS fuse, and seeing what happens.

Only thing is, I can't find anything that tells me where that fuse is located. Could someone tell me where I might find it?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it not listed on fuse panel under left side of dazh above park brake pedal...remove the panel under column and fuses should be there and listed on panel.

Could unplug it....but I doubt the issue is rabs myself.

Vacuum brakes are a soft pedal...make sure rears adjusted up so 3 -4 cli ks on park pedal is all it takes to lock it. Other wise it requires a lot of fluid to move rear shoes enough to actuate.

I went from soft crappy brakes with stock mc and booster...installed hydro boost and mc and near spat me teeth out

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your story similar to mine, after I bought mine many moons ago I had to immediately dump a ton of money into the brakes! LOL YMMV but that very first time it involved having a new rabs valve....just couldn't seem to get a good pedal without a new one. Fast forward 10 years and I had the brakes worked on again and had to replace the valve again to get the firm pedal. I say replace it and you'll be good to go for another 5-10 years. Just my experience with it....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
WElcome to the forum. Most likely your rear brake shoes are out of proper ajustment. Best way to tel is see where the parking brake sets when aplied. It the lever is more than 1/2 way to the floor then you rear brakes need a manual adjustment. Sadly our rear brakes self adjusters never really worked. Most here have felt the soft brake peddle or the creeping into the cross walk after a complete stop. When the brake peddle creeps down after a stop its because the master cylinder is still trying to fill the rear brake cylinders. So the peddle drops and the truck creeps forwards like a bad master cylinder. For many years my front brakes would wear out fast and the rotors would crack. Turns out my rear brakes did almost no stopping and the fronts were over worked causing lots of heat build up. Thats what cracked the rotors. So I started manually adjusting the rear brakes and no more problems.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the OB.

Spending $600 on brakes, you must have replaced all the shoes/calipers/pads/rotors. Proper brake bleeding, including the RABS valve will relieve the soft pedal. RR then RL then RABS then RF then LF. On the RABS, remove the large plug, remove the spring but leave the piston in, replace plug, cycle the brakes 3-4 times, then replace spring. If the ABS lite is ON, that should turn it off. Make sure you keep the MC full of fluid. Do not mix DOT 3 with DOT 4 synthetic fluid, or completely replace all the fluid with DOT 4. As said above, be sure the rears are adjusted up, readjust after 50-100 miles.
Below is your fuse panel.

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    912.1 KB · Views: 62

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it not listed on fuse panel under left side of dazh above park brake pedal...remove the panel under column and fuses should be there and listed on panel.

Could unplug it....but I doubt the issue is rabs myself.
Thank you. The panel is missing from mine, so I had no idea which fuse was for what purpose.

The issue may not actually BE the RABS. But after everything else that has been done, I am getting to the point where I have to track every possibility.

I bought this truck, to WORK. And I can't trust it to do any real work, if I can't trust the brakes.

Your story similar to mine, after I bought mine many moons ago I had to immediately dump a ton of money into the brakes! LOL YMMV but that very first time it involved having a new rabs valve....just couldn't seem to get a good pedal without a new one. Fast forward 10 years and I had the brakes worked on again and had to replace the valve again to get the firm pedal. I say replace it and you'll be good to go for another 5-10 years. Just my experience with it....
Thank you.

Well, I'll probably end up either replacing it, or just bypassing it. I grew up with cars and trucks long before ABS. And I have had ABS almost kill me in situations where I could have handled the situation a lot better with my own foot. I do not like ABS.

By the way, any advice on anything else I should be checking out on this truck? Possible hidden problems that could cost me a lot if allowed to go on, for instance?

WElcome to the forum. Most likely your rear brake shoes are out of proper ajustment. Best way to tel is see where the parking brake sets when aplied. It the lever is more than 1/2 way to the floor then you rear brakes need a manual adjustment. Sadly our rear brakes self adjusters never really worked. Most here have felt the soft brake peddle or the creeping into the cross walk after a complete stop. When the brake peddle creeps down after a stop its because the master cylinder is still trying to fill the rear brake cylinders. So the peddle drops and the truck creeps forwards like a bad master cylinder. For many years my front brakes would wear out fast and the rotors would crack. Turns out my rear brakes did almost no stopping and the fronts were over worked causing lots of heat build up. Thats what cracked the rotors. So I started manually adjusting the rear brakes and no more problems.
Thank you!

That sounds exactly like what it happening. And I wondered about the adjustment on those.

Welcome to the OB.

Spending $600 on brakes, you must have replaced all the shoes/calipers/pads/rotors. Proper brake bleeding, including the RABS valve will relieve the soft pedal. RR then RL then RABS then RF then LF. On the RABS, remove the large plug, remove the spring but leave the piston in, replace plug, cycle the brakes 3-4 times, then replace spring. If the ABS lite is ON, that should turn it off. Make sure you keep the MC full of fluid. Do not mix DOT 3 with DOT 4 synthetic fluid, or completely replace all the fluid with DOT 4. As said above, be sure the rears are adjusted up, readjust after 50-100 miles.
And thank you!

I needed that panel information. Now to print it out and keep it in the truck. LOL

I'm glad I came in here and asked. I'd been reading here for about a week and a half, since I bought the truck. Decided it was time to dive in! Now I have a lot more information than I even asked for! Thank you all.

The story...

Bought the truck two weeks ago. Listened to the guy tell all about all the things he had recently done to it. Saw evidence that indeed he had. So, I bought it.

Who knew he did all that, but probably did it himself, and did everything "half-fast". All new brake parts. Shoes, pads, hardware, etc. New seals.

But... I believe the rears were adjusted WAY loose. (I watched the mechanic adjust them way way out, and I don't think they ever actually got it to the right place yet.

Plus, the guy damaged the back seal on the passenger rear, so when the drum was pulled off, everything in there was soaked and 'floating' in gear lube from the axle.

The money I have spent has been... The mechanic insisted the problem was the master cylinder leaking internally. So they replaced that. Then did a bleed. (BTW: NO bleed on the RABS. Ever. They are apparently completely unaware of it's existence. As was I, until yesterday. LOL) No difference... Then I got them to start tearing into the 'new' rears, and on the one side, we found the leaking seal. They never pulled the other side apart. Because by the time they replaced that seal and cleaned everything up then put it all back together, I was already nearly 500 dollars into them, and there was still very little difference at the brake pedal. I couldn't see paying them more to just keep playing a guessing game.

I am way out of budget on this. (Nearly 600 on just the brake problem.) Never expected to spend this much. So now I am going to have to fix this myself. I can do the work. I made a living as a mechanic for many years. I just HATE brake work, so I got stupid and let people who know even less than I do, empty my wallet. LOL

My approach to wrenching is... I want to know more than just what part is broken. I want to know why that part broke. I want to know what part it plays. I want to know if there is some way that I can improve the part, and/or the overall system, so this doesn't happen again. IOW: I don't like just throwing parts at a problem. I want to know not just the whats, (parts), but the hows and whys of a problem.

To get to the hows and whys, you have to first know the whats, and then you have to ask questions. LOL

So, here I am, asking questions. You have given me answers that actually mean something, and which help me to start to figure out the heart of the problem. Thank you.

And I'll be back. With a lot of probably really stupid questions. cookoo :D

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well my 2 shoes worth of advice...invest in tools not mechanics...learn your brake system well. Also search out hydroboost conversion....once u hydro u never suck again...lol

Having wrenched for years as mqny do I have developed a personal method to rear shoe adjustment.

Adjust to slight drag felt...ususally I hqve drum off and when can just slide on/off is about right...then apply brake pedal several times...this actually affects centering of shoes and such. Spin drum if very slight drag leave if none adjust up click or 3...if no spin back off 4 clicks at least...reapply brake pedal...test spin again...good...ok drive it few hundrez miles recheck as shoes wear into shape/diameter of drum brakes begin work more effectively.

This is one reason shoes used to be arced to diamter of drums on an arcing machine..

Good lu k.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the OB.

My ABS light wont go out...

Will first bleed brakes as sugested if no go....will pop cap piston n seal cycle reinstall spring....and report back.

Tha ks

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I should have mentioned was the rear brake cylinders. On an old truck, the cylinders should have been replaced, there cheap. If the mechanic you had work on them disturbed them in any way they will probable leak. That could be the soft pedal, usually don't see the brake fluid running down the rim until quite a few brake cycles.

Plus, the guy damaged the back seal on the passenger rear, so when the drum was pulled off, everything in there was soaked and 'floating' in gear lube from the axle.
That could very well be the brake cyl. leaking.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I should have mentioned was the rear brake cylinders. On an old truck, the cylinders should have been replaced, there cheap. If the mechanic you had work on them disturbed them in any way they will probable leak. That could be the soft pedal, usually don't see the brake fluid running down the rim until quite a few brake cycles.

That could very well be the brake cyl. leaking.
Cylinders are brand new. And I got in there and checked them out, myself.

It was 80w90 that everything was swimming in, and the rear seal WAS bad. (Even though it was brand new, as well.)

There are no leaks in the brake system. (Thank God for small miracles.) Tomorrow I will try to get a friend to help me to adjust the rear brakes, then bleed the entire system, including the rabs.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have had major wind and rainstorms here. Because of where I live, that makes it dangerous to try to do something like work on brakes.

I decided to schedule an appointment with a different shop. One that is a lot closer to where I live.

Stopped in there and talked to them. They already knew about the rabs valve. They apparently work on these f250s all the time. When I described what had been happening, they didn't go immediately to the master cylinder as the culprit. First thing they said was that it was probably the rabs valve. Then when I mentioned the MC, they said, yeah, well it could be that too, but more likely the rabs.

I liked what I heard. I talked about a few other things as well.

So, I scheduled the appointment.

I'll probably just ask to delete the rabs valve altogether.

And I am going to ask them to inspect all the other work that was done, as well.

If they do a good job of it without costing me an arm and a leg, I'll come back here and post them up in the sticky: PEOPLE THAT PROVIDE EXCELLENT SERVICE!

:D

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, I did pull that fuse, and it stopped locking up the brakes on me.

Still a soft pedal, though.