Local Pick N Pulls

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi! How has everyone's luck been at the local Pick N Pulls? Mine has a 4x4 C6 that I need that supposedly came in last November, but I am tempted to try for $150. I Have to go there to pick up a door for my brother's Dodge (May just look for one that actually shuts on mine too) so I was going to look around. Especially for a Turbo setup and Lord knows what else. Would be nice to have a pocketful of cash to go there with, but who knows.

So what is everyone's opinions? I mean, for semi-critical components? I know CAVEAT EMPTOR....

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Frankly the local pick n pulls dont have anyway to take a tranny out short of bench pressing it (and wont let you bring in your own jack) so for our trucks I wouldnt even think of it, that said when it comes to stuff like engines, diffs and trannys from a pick n pull I consider them short term use (while current is getting rebuilt) or immediate rebuilds (more often on engines as people tend to take random nuts/bolts/sensors Id otherwise not notice)

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's about 6 with idi's. About 20 obs trucks and 20 bricknoses total. Was a 5 speed 4x4 there and I posted about it here. Plenty to choose from if you need parts like doors ,grills and interior stuff including consoles.

Socal88

Reaction score
Going to your local pick-your-part is like fishing,somedays you get skunked and somedays you limit out! Just make sure you check your part out well and do your home work on making sure of the part your pulling is the right one.

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing better than exploring a junkyard! Diesels are hard to find in the yards here.only time you find a diesel is when its totally worn out, rotten with nothing useable left on it.

MedicMoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same here with the rareness of the diesels in the yard. I tend to go about every other weekend to take a peek, yesterday I scored the a/c compressor, and hoses and all the right brackets to put back on my truck. I was scouting out possible seats, and found that. someone already took the IP and injectors, but left 2 fuel line clamps, somehow they just fell into my pocket!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been finding 99-03 psds lately.no running gear in them though.junkyards dont seem to know the value of the idms in them.so far 3 idms found thier way into my jacket.

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can find 1/2 ton gassers all day long. Anything larger is rare... gasser wise. Diesels... I have a better chance of winning Powerball than getting any kind of IDI parts from any yard..let alone Pick-n-Pull.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We pull transmissions without jacks all the time. Hardest part is smacking yhr cross memeber out of the way.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few years ago being completely broke, I went with a buddy to get some minor cosmetic parts for his 94 Bronco. And what did I see? A nearly mint VW diesel truck sitting up on stands for sale. I could have just beaten myself with a hammer

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
During a particularly hot afternoon last summer, I was removing a partition divider from a gasser E250. Not long after I started, a couple of guys (no habla ingles) started removing the transmission. Since I was mostly working inside, we got along fine.

Before I knew it, the trans was on the ground, outside the van on a sheet of plywood. Their secret? No jack needed. Just a well-placed tire (no wheel) underneath when it's time to drop it. ;Sweet

Hoping someone else can benefit from this tip. :D

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
I pulled my doner zf-5 with no jacks. I used a tire that still had a rim in it and wedged under the trans so I could move the crossmember. The zf is light enough so after that it was no problem. The pull a part down here gets rid of diesels really fast. They last maybe two weeks and then they crushem.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used the tire trick too. But the plywood idea is interesting, or at least the hood off an S10

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I have been finding 99-03 psds lately.no running gear in them though.junkyards dont seem to know the value of the idms in them.so far 3 idms found thier way into my jacket.
That's some real smart thinking. Seriously. A good used one is what, $75 or so?

Here in Oklahoma out in okc we have a big truck and van Salvage. I hear they have all the idi stuff.
Next would be a place closer to me, Catoosa, they usually have idi stuff.
I think there's another but don't know exact location nor name.
For non engine related parts, I like LKQ, go when they're having a half off sale.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.