Lifters and rockers..

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
ok i've yet to get my cam or rocker arms. i know i'm getting the 7.3L style rockers, i know every bit counts, there isn't any roller rockers out there for a 7.3 (and 6.9) is there? :confused:

and i've been looking at the Melling cam/lifter set, after some reading i saw some people don't like the melling lifters and prefer the clevite. which is better and could i get a cam w/out the lifters if i get different ones?? :dunno

trying to make a perfect, bullet-proof 6.9L for my scout. I want this to be a build it once, have it forever kinda thing. ;Sweet

-Jon

P.S. i found these Melling rockers on the 'zone's site for $25. http://www.autozone.com/R,APP146225...partType,02049/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

and on summit's site they have Sealed Power Rocker Sets for $38. is it a "get what you pay for" kind of deal here? (never been much for 'zone stuff either)....unless someone found Roller rockers??

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I paid $251.00 for the rockers from Ford Parts Online (bob utter ford in sherman texas) and the pushrods were $83.00. On the lifters just about any will do. These lifters are in the powerstrokes, chevy 6.2 and 6.5 and many other motors. Make sure they are roller bearing lifters and not roller bushing lifters. Your cam can be reground and its cheap. About $35.00 anywhere. They take around 1 thousands off all the way around the lobe so nothing changes but the lift. You wont feel it. I didn't on mine.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with your old cam?? I disassembled and polished my lifters and they are fine, had the cam reground at delta in tacoma WA. These thing dont wear out unless they get no oil. .

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
...nothing, just looking for a few more hp and ft lbs... LOL

icanfixall are those just stock replacement 7.3 rockers? and best bet is roller BEARING lifters. gotcha. ;Sweet

-Jon

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes, the rockers are stock but they are really bullet proof now as compaired to the 6.9 with the aluminum pivot parts. I don't think you can even buy the old ones any more.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Delta put on a grind that they said the na guys dynoed and it has more torque in the midrange, just what we like.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure they are roller bearing lifters and not roller bushing lifters.
Dumb question, but is the difference between the two obvious from looking at it? Or, how do you tell? If you know, what brand is what?

I replaced the lifters in my truck when I did the turbo and head gaskets, and the ones I got were military surplus...and, I'm thinking that they're probably bushing-type lifters (for that matter, I think the old ones were too). I also may have a bad one (I've got an intermittent tick coming from somewhere...either a lifter, an exhaust leak, or maybe a bad injector)...so I may be doing this job at some point in the not-too-distant future. I'm really looking forward to pulling the turbo and re-sealing the up-pipe and down-pipe fittings...-cuss

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The differance between bearings and bushings is easy to see. First off the pin is larger in the bushinglifter and the roller rolls easier on the bearing lifter.