LIFT

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I have a set of rearched springs (front and rear) that provide 4" of lift and have the same number of leafs as my F350 springs. I have all 4 springs, the "drop brackets", and I believe it's a "drop" pitman arm too. It's all sitting under my '86 F250 4x4 with a TTB front axle. I might have sold the axles tonight, so it'd be pretty easy to get the springs and stuff out while I'm already under it. Don't know how much shipping would be for all the parts, but PM me if interested.

cat3176

Reaction score
I have found really good deals on suspension kits on national wheel and tire online. Just look under the suspension specials section. They are name brand kits at a discount. Heres the web address www.ntwonline.com. Hope this helps.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out tuffcountry.com. Reasonable price but good kit, have installed a couple on f250s, works nice. A good quality kit is the only way to do it right and have a safe lift when done.

schultediesel

Reaction score
i guess i didn't really describe what i was thinking. if i disconnected both the front and the rear of the front leaf springs from the frame, welded rectangle stock to the frame (along with bracing), and then bolted the shackle mounts into the rectangle stock that is now welded to the frame. what do you guys mean that i'd have to drop the pivot for the ttb axle at the same distance. if i used the same seze rectangle stock on all four sides that would do that right? i'm trying to be clear but i don't know if that helped any

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you still have the TTB/IFS front end under your truck? If you do and don,t drop the center pivot brackets you won,t be able to do a proper alignment. Basically you would be running on the outside edges of your tires. Also how will you drop the front shackle pivots down. I believe there is a kit out there that does a shackle reversal (moves them to the rear) that provides a little lift. If you have a one piece axle swapped in you don't have to worry about the axle pivots.

schultediesel

Reaction score
NOW I GET IT!!!

now i get the pivot point thing for the ttb! i had to crawl underneath my truck to see it i guess! is there a kit for dropping those down? now i'm lost on the dropping the front shackle pivot points? is that the same where the sackles mount to the frame? like i said before i'm new to this stuff! i appreciate all the help!

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
now i get the pivot point thing for the ttb! i had to crawl underneath my truck to see it i guess! is there a kit for dropping those down? now i'm lost on the dropping the front shackle pivot points? is that the same where the sackles mount to the frame? like i said before i'm new to this stuff! i appreciate all the help!

All complete kit for lifting a IFS front axle should have the new drop bracket and possibly a different pitman arm. The kit I have in the '86 has both. There should also be a "lop-sided" "washer" that will go at the pivot point of the IFS axle to the new bracket for adjusting the camber of the tires. The new bracket will replace the existing one (uses the same holes).

schultediesel

Reaction score
is it possible to make the drop brackets for this? i have found the pitman arm, but i cant find the drop brackets for the suspension mounts though! which axle is the independant front axle? i don't have all that crap out by my wheels, just the two crossed arms coming out to u-joints.:dunno

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You most likely have the dana 50 axle, I would not recommend attempting trying to make you own brackets for anything. Take a look at company's such as tuff county, superlift, skyjacker, etc. Those same company's make a add a leaf good for 1 1/2" - 2". But if you are looking for 4" or more you need to go with a complete kit to do it safe and right. I have installed lifts on many different types of vehicles its not something that yo want to cobble together.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
You most likely have the dana 50 axle, I would not recommend attempting trying to make you own brackets for anything.

I agree. I knew a guy that tried once on a Bronco, and he ended up having to just buy the drop brackets. There is accually two and they have to be identical in drop measurements or it will affect front wheels.

schultediesel

Reaction score
if i could afford the straight axle and the swap i could afford to buy a lift. plus i want my truck to be "mine". i appreciate the help and advice from everyone thank you!

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
building the drop drackets is easy, i have done it several times. i will try and post a pic of my trk soon and a pic of my custom "ttb drop brackets". they are safe annd i have never had an issue with any of the ones i have built.