LIFT

bigblackF250

Killin' the ozone
Reaction score
I would also like to see the brackets you made MUDKICKR, I want to lift my F250 and keep the stock Dana 50 under it.
Thanks, Rob

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if i could afford the straight axle and the swap i could afford to buy a lift. plus i want my truck to be "mine". i appreciate the help and advice from everyone thank you!

You are up in alaska where dana 60 fronts are everywhere, I would find a whole truck and part it out for the swap., look at some government auctions, my buddy buys trucks for cheap all the time up there,. way cheaper than a lift kit.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I'd like to see some brackets too. See, I have the rearched springs with the drop brackets for them. The '85 is a high boy and has it's original drop brackets to compensate for this. The problem is that I can't put with rearched springs under the '85 and be able to use either drop brackets. I'd need a custom set that factors in the factory high boy and the rearched springs. How could a person figure out the exact measurements to accomplish this?

I don't know if it'd be worth all the hassle and modification, so I'll most likely just sell the rearched springs I have now, and start from new on lifting the F350.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well when it gets nice outside (which should be tommorrow) i will take pics of my trk and the frt brackets. what i did was take the factory brackets and modify them (with 1/4" plate) for the add-a-leafs i installed. also i have never heard of a high boy after 79. im interested into knowing more about that. and if your interested i could make you a set. if you like mine.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
well when it gets nice outside (which should be tommorrow) i will take pics of my trk and the frt brackets. what i did was take the factory brackets and modify them (with 1/4" plate) for the add-a-leafs i installed. also i have never heard of a high boy after 79. im interested into knowing more about that. and if your interested i could make you a set. if you like mine.

I was told it was a "high boy" by Ford just down the roadcookoo. It might be just the factory "blocking" on the F350:dunno, but I clear 35" tires at it's stock height;Sweet.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most 350's will, 92-96 require some trickery with the front bumper... both my gas 250's, 88 and 92 cleared 35's easly, more so on 88, had to space bumper on 92 with unistrut...

If you start looking at other trucks, you will find we ride the highest of all the big three.... Ford's way of suggesting we all run 35's/315's.

1988 F250 5.0 on 35/12.5/16.5
You must be registered for see images attach

1993 IDI CC F350 on 315/75/16
You must be registered for see images attach

edit and put a cleaner shot in there tomorrow.

Last edited:

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys i have taken some pictures of my trk. i also put my bike beside the trk so you can get an idea how tall my trk is. the frt ttb brackets i made are from the factory ttb brackets, all i did was take some 1/4 plate and extend them. the top hole is the factory hole and then there are measured in 1" increments. i welded then frt and back for the most strength and just made some big washers that was the same size as the factory steel to install between the brackets and the bushings. they have held up very well and i have had no problems with this setup. i have another set of factory brackets that im going to make for a 4" lift soon as well, but i will do more re-enforcing of the brackets on the inside. enjoy the pics and ask any questions you want.

Attachments

• 100-0065_IMG.JPG
    100-0065_IMG.JPG
    357 KB · Views: 21
  • 100-0066_IMG.JPG
    100-0066_IMG.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 13
  • 100-0039_IMG.JPG
    100-0039_IMG.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 100-0040_IMG.JPG
    100-0040_IMG.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 100-0041_IMG.JPG
    100-0041_IMG.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 100-0038_IMG.JPG
    100-0038_IMG.JPG
    354.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 100-0042_IMG.JPG
    100-0042_IMG.JPG
    400.5 KB · Views: 14

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh yea you got the love how those ceramic coated headers rusted up. even though there less then 2 years old

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ceramic coated headers we put on my brother's '84 F150 did the same thing. Ceramic coating fell off and they rusted up big time.

Anyway...I want a small lift somewhere down the road, I like the Sky Manufacturing shackle flip kits.

Only thing I don't get with those- their front shackle flip kits are for 3" or 5" lift. You can only get the pivot drop brackets in 2", 4" and 6". What do you do? :dunno

Hey mudkickr what flares are those? They look kinda like my Bushwacker extend-a-fenders, except bigger.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there bushwacker cut out flares. i bought the body of the trk from a scrap yard. funny thing is it was the scrap yards old work trk. the body is a 92 f250 2wd. the trk has a 85 f350 4x4 frame and frt axle and a 92 rear axle. also that frt bumper is one of those high quality e-bay bumpers. rusted in 6 months, thriple chrome plated my as@. soon i will be building a frt bumper to match the rear one.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Gasser or IDI there mudkicker? Looks like a gasser pan with no filter stickin down there at the rear, but I can't tell...

SWS

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a gasser right now, but here in about a month its going to be a 7.3 idi/zf5 with a married np203 going to a divorced np205. either im going to keep the 3" body lift, and raise the engine/trans 2" or might go with 6" lift springs in frt. havent desided yet. since i put 4.56 gears in it i might go with a bigger tire, but that will be later this year if i do.

bigblackF250

Killin' the ozone
Reaction score
Mudkicker,
Would you happen to have the dimensions on the brackets you built, one more ?, is the only thing you used for the lift was a add a leaf spring?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3" body lift with 2" add-a-leafs are the lift. the cut-out fender flares also help with fitting bigger tires. the biggest body lift (without a lot of firewall modifing) for the diesel is 2", so the same trk with a diesel would be 1" shorter. the brackets i made are the factory pieces. what i did to make them work was added 1/4" plate steel to them to give me my lift. i marked the factory brackets (while still on the trk) to make sure the holes were going to be straight after drilling them (straight up and down so the axle would be straight) them i removed them and welded the plate to them. i welded them inside and out and made them as strong as i could. the top hole is the factory hole, so if i removed the add-a-leafs i can still use the same brackets. i also cut the factory bracket where they bend out on the bottom (so the plate steel sat flush on the bracket) and i then added steel inside them (the same thinkness as factory 3/16") so when i put the axle back in there it wouldnt smash the bracket up against the bushing wrong. there not complete one off custom build brackets, but factory modified ones to work with my project. with how the factory brackets are made, i believe they are strong enough to handle this type of modification and hold up. i use the trk hard when off road, and i have even jumped the trk offroad. never had a problem with the brackets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger