Lift pump

Max Power

Reaction score
I have 2 friends that have both 99 cummins. Both have had Edge EZ boxes for quite some time. Today both of them called me to tell me they were having problems. What a coincidence. Both run find untill they get up to highway speed then they buck and surge (their description). One of them is 3000 miles from home so he took it to the dealer to get them to look at it. He left the EZ box on :mad: so the dealer removed it and all was fine. So he is on the road again. Apparantly they never looked any further. So does this sound like the symptoms of a bad lift pump? If so, can anyone recommend guages and a procedure for installing pressure guages? I am a cummins newbie and now I have to learn.

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my lift pump went out for the 2nd time in 75,000 mi, I wouldn't have known if I didn't have my mechanical fuel pressure gauge. I didn't get any bucking or surging. I also have an EZ and have never had a problem.

The fuel pressure gauge taps off the pressure test port on top of the fuel canister, then into the isolator (on a mechanical gauge) and then its fish and cuss your way up the pillar with the thick braided line. Easy operation. I have Autometer gauges and like them so far.

BRONCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question,

Have any of you Cummins guys had any experience or exposure to the lift pump/filter combo units? FASS or the Preporator.

Last edited:

Fishin2Deep4U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Max,

My truck had the same problem the first time my lift pump went out. Luckily, I had gauges installed and it was quickly caught.

There could be a problem with the EZ (not likely) or the connections. Also, check the lift pump connections.

Most importantly, check fuel pressure! I dunno about the '99s, but on my '02 I have a couple of schrader ports. One is on the VP44. Call Rip Rook and buy a gauge, or borrow one, whatever, and check that fuel pressure!

Dave

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran with zero pressure and it didnt buck or surge... My bets on the EZ - and you need to get some guages to watch that beast!

lschultz

Reaction score
Cistern,Tx-2.3 miles outs of ofs highway in Fayett
Son has 99 and his lift pump made it to probably 140000.He has no gauges.It gave no indictions of any problems.He changes his fuel filter every 10000 and after his last filter change it would not start.Lift pump would run but I guess it was not moving any fuel.He bought new one and put it on.Had to crack injector on #3 I think to get the air out to get it running.

RAF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel pressure should be checked at WOT. The minimum should be a test gauge to check it. A permanent gauge is a hell of a lot cheaper than a VP-44.

On the EZ,I'd check the connectors.I ran into that some time back. Would also run the ground to the battery if it isn't already.

jarhead

comfortably numb
Reaction score
Bronco, I run the Fass set up and would highly recomend it to anyone thats not stock. Also make sure the Fass has the 20lb spring in it. Mine only pulled10lbs at idle and had to change it to the heavier spring, at wot you should never be below 10lb. Take from someone who has eaten three vp-44s.

Max, I run a live fuel pressure gauge. I used to run the electric type with a snubber. It was not accurate and I wound up smoking a pump.

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jarhead
Bronco, I run the Fass set up and would highly recomend it to anyone thats not stock. Also make sure the Fass has the 20lb spring in it. Mine only pulled10lbs at idle and had to change it to the heavier spring, at wot you should never be below 10lb. Take from someone who has eaten three vp-44s.

How long have you been running the Fass system?

jarhead

comfortably numb
Reaction score
Nail bender, I have about 30,000 miles on the fass with no problems. The filters are'nt cheap but what is?

BRONCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jarhead,

A few questions if you do not mind? How/where did you mount the unit? Has it ever leaked or needed manual priming? How did you route the return line, (filler neck or to the top of tank?)

jarhead

comfortably numb
Reaction score
Bronco, I have a short bed so I had to mount it on the drivers side frame rail, out board just behind the drivers door. It has never leaked or needed manual priming. Just top the filters off when you put them on and thats it. Its quiet,reliable and can move some fuel. My return line goes back to the tank.

The unit comes with some no name filters on it, when you try to cross reference them they will stare at you like your nuts so heres the filter numbers just for the hell of it.

Fleetgard HF 6338

Fleetgard FS 1023

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7