Lift pump replacement time

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have a fuel leak from the lift pump "area" on my 95 PSD, not sure if its the pump or not at this point. But with the pump being original, I'm going to start with it and see where that gets me. When replacing the pump, is there anything else I should replace when I'm in there, cause I don't want to go back in afterwards.

Thanks guys.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Fuel line between the pump and filter.
Easiest to pull the filter bowl. Which also makes a good time to replace all the orings in it.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to do the olives at the heads too. Kinda tight in there under the turbo though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rarely have I ever seen the pump itself leak.check or replace all rubber connections.

The banjo bolt on the lines is known to leak.try tightening it a little as well.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Hmm. I have replace the two rubber lines already with good clamps and the fuel filter restriction sensor which was also leaking. So I will have another attempt at tightening those banjo bolts. Are there any copper washers or anything under the bolts that I would need to get if I do end up replacing the lift pump?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yeah, they've got a weep hole and can leak out onto the valley.

May check the big banjo nut to see if it's tight. Seen a couple over the years loosen up from the vibrations.
If the pump comes out, be careful to not **** it and break off the plunger down in the valley. Could make for some puckering times getting it out.
Like Jasper said, pull the bowl and replace the other lines while you're in there. They can be problematic as well too.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Where can I get that little thin oring where the intake "Y pipe" mates to the turbo? Mines getting to be in bad shape from having that Y pipe off so many times.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Diesel orings and RiffRaff have them.
All of the replacements I've seen are circle cut vs the stock square cut oring. Which isn't too big a deal.
But if you have a fastenal or hydraulic shop local, I would get one there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ More like macintoshes to honeycrisps. Yes, IDI and PSD have different lift pumps. But same idea -- a VERY common mod is "e-fuel". More complicated, of course, since it involves decommissioning the fuel bowl and fabbing in a different filtration system. But it is an option; just depends on the ambition of the OP.