Lift pump output olive or o-ring?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's probably not at the lift pump intake. If it was, you'd probably be drawing air into the fuel system while driving down the road.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It's probably not at the lift pump intake. If it was, you'd probably be drawing air into the fuel system while driving down the road.

Dunno. When it was leaking before from a bad hose, there was no air intrusion symptom while driving, just hard starting sometimes when air got in and fuel leaked out.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Hm, it might also be the weep hole leaking? Dunno where it is on the lift pump. I'm reading that it can be a symptom of a failing diaphragm? Might be due for a new pump soon.

Last time I checked the oil not long ago, it was still fine. (About half way between "add" and "full" and didn't smell of diesel. I will check it again tomorrow.

I may spring for a quality (~$100) electric fuel pump vs a $30 mechanical. I need to dig up the thread about which ones are good and which are problematic. I will need one that can perform well with the turbo.

The hardest part of installing sounds like finding a 12v source that runs it while cranking as well as with the key turned. (Edit: oh. Fuel cutoff switch wire.)

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I need to dig up the thread about which ones are good and which are problematic. I will need one that can perform well with the turbo.
The Walboro (can't remember model number) seemed to be a popular one. Wes likes the Holley black.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The Walboro (can't remember model number) seemed to be a popular one. Wes likes the Holley black.

Yikes, Holley Black is $200. I don't need something that powerful (120-140GPH!!) . It's not wastegated or running anything high performance.

Edit: Holley, also doesn't say it's for diesel use?

Last edited:

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The flare could also have a stress crack in it causing the light leak. Be sure and tighten that bolt with the rust around it on your alternator bracket at the water pump. It is loose if just slightly.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I have my eye on the Facet 40222. It seems like a good candidate for my setup. It's around $100, plus the cost of a relay, fuse holder, wire, etc.

In the meantime, I might go pick up a spare mechanical pump at oreilly and just carry it with me in case of an emergency, and just return it in a month or two if I don't use it.

Maybe I need to put off going to the gulf coast and just make a bee line (less than 500mi) to my mom's house next week so I can tend to the RV's needs. It's crap weather over there this time of year for doing repairs in an uncovered driveway.,(let's be honest though, weather almost all year long is crap in Arkansas)

Guess I will see how the oil looks tomorrow and decide from there if i need to immediately replace the lift pump or not.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have my eye on the Facet 40222. It seems like a good candidate for my setup. It's around $100, plus the cost of a relay, fuse holder, wire, etc.

In the meantime, I might go pick up a spare mechanical pump at oreilly and just carry it with me in case of an emergency, and just return it in a month or two if I don't use it.

Maybe I need to put off going to the gulf coast and just make a bee line (less than 500mi) to my mom's house next week so I can tend to the RV's needs. It's crap weather over there this time of year for doing repairs in an uncovered driveway.,(let's be honest though, weather almost all year long is crap in Arkansas)

Guess I will see how the oil looks tomorrow and decide from there if i need to immediately replace the lift pump or not.

I live in central Arkansas about 3 hour give or take from little Rock and the weather is 70's one day 40's the next and rain so pretty much like a early spring an mother nature is ***'ing like normal no snow as of yet though, what part of Arkansas aka strange state

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I live in central Arkansas about 3 hour give or take from little Rock and the weather is 70's one day 40's the next and rain so pretty much like a early spring an mother nature is ***'ing like normal no snow as of yet though, what part of Arkansas aka strange state

How can you live in central Arkansas AND be 3 hours from little rock? It's in the middle of the state and a 2-3 hour drive from there gets you out of the state on the interstates, or nearly so if on back highways

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How can you live in central Arkansas AND be 3 hours from little rock? It's in the middle of the state and a 2-3 hour drive from there gets you out of the state on the interstates, or nearly so if on back highways

said give it take I just MapQuest my location to Little Rock and it is 1 hour and 26 minutes drive sorry I used to out past Hardy Arkansas n now just close to Batesville

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Hey Chebordenek!" "Taste it"!!

Chebordenek... "Ah. Tastes like dog cheet".

"Must be dog cheet!"
Pretty sure that went over everyone's heads, here. Well except one.

I guess DGR and I are showing our age...

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Eh, maybe I will stick with a mechanical lift pump. They are reasonably reliable and aren't that horrible to change, even on a van. Alt and vac pump aren't a big deal to pull if need be. No harder than on a truck.

Ford ones are still available, but twice the cost. But if it lasts longer with a lower risk of diaphragm failure, it's worth it.

I need to just up a cheap remote start switch for bumping the engine for changing the pump. I'm guessing you just clip one to a positive battery terminal and the other to the small terminal with the push on connector on the starter relay?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The engine oil is still mid way on dipstick (checked cold) with no fuel smell, so there's no fuel contamination. The oil wiped from the dipstick tends to smell like fast food french fries, imo. LOL

I guess I will just keep an eye on it for now since it's not a major leak and I don't know what fluid it is. I may try to capture raw drips into a container with a paper towel inside so I can try to determine if its fuel or coolant.