Leveling my 86

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember buying some moog HD springs for my rig about a year ago. I ended up selling truck to my father in law before I had the chance to put them on. Anyways, he got them installed and it raised the front end over 2 inches. Damn near sits level & always how I wanted it to look. I’ll see if I can find a part #.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it!

Moog CC844S. Spent around $80 on a front set thru eBay.

Thanks for the info! You think he will have issues with tire wear like stated above?

My absolute main concern is tire clearance when at a full turn and hitting and bump while pulling into parking lots and stores etc.. just want that peace of mind. The leveling/look of the truck is a plus in my book. I like the forward rake on some trucks. Just not this one in particular.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These trucks are higher in the rear for a reason. If you look at the rear springs on most factory original trucks, you will have lighter thinner curved leaves on the top, and a very thick flatter leaf on the bottom. The thinner leaves give you a better ride, but when you load it they sag down till they hit the thick flat spring on the bottom, which carries the load.

People with mall cruisers get away with front leveling kits since they never haul heavy loads. People who put leveling kits on their trucks and then haul loads notice their trucks are nose high when loaded. Then they decide to put heavier springs in the rear and ruin what little ride comfort they had with the stock progressive rear springs.

Does pulling a tandem axle dump trailer with 3 yards of sand account for mall cruising? ;Sweet

I don't push her to the max often but my boss will occasionally ask me to pull a load or haul some building materials (2000lbs.) in the bed. It will soon become my daily driver as I am selling my currrent dd.

I REALLY want to put the air bags/helper springs in the rear with the mounted compressor and all. My boss has them on his work rig. I like

Last edited:

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember buying some moog HD springs for my rig about a year ago. I ended up selling truck to my father in law before I had the chance to put them on. Anyways, he got them installed and it raised the front end over 2 inches. Damn near sits level & always how I wanted it to look. I’ll see if I can find a part #.

Do you think the height he gained was due to the old coils being worn? Or was it raised beyond the stock height? Were longer shocks required if so? Sorry for so many questions

Thanks

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! You think he will have issues with tire wear like stated above?

My absolute main concern is tire clearance when at a full turn and hitting and bump while pulling into parking lots and stores etc.. just want that peace of mind. The leveling/look of the truck is a plus in my book. I like the forward rake on some trucks. Just not this one in particular.

My old rig doesn’t have any tire rubbing issues after the install but it does need to be professionally aligned. I noticed the passenger tire is wearing kind of funny. He had a cheap shop install the springs and wasn’t too impressed with their methods of alignment.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think the height he gained was due to the old coils being worn? Or was it raised beyond the stock height? Were longer shocks required if so? Sorry for so many questions

Thanks

I really think the old springs were just worn. However, I do believe these are stiffer springs than stock. I haven’t ridden in truck since the install, but he says it rides so much better with these moogs in there. With the new springs, it pretty much sat level with the rear of truck. No more nose dive was evident.
Don’t really know if it raised it above stock height because who knows how it sat when the truck was new.
No, he continued to run stock ride height shocks after spring install.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online