Letting 7.3 sit two weeks at a time

Cody Sapp

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I have been looking for an IDI 7.3 for a new daily/tow rig, but I work away from home and I am gone for around two weeks at a time.

Is it alright to let one sit for a couple of weeks and then drive it for a few days? Would love too pull the trigger on one but would like to avoid issues. Live in South Texas so not too worried about cold and rust

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that dosent hurt them at all I go through phases where I'll daily my idi then won't drive it for a few months

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you located Cody? If you want, you’re welcome to bring the truck you’re looking at by my shop and I can look it over for you and give it a health rating. These trucks will sit for as long as you need and fire right up as long as you keep animals out of it, fuel system tight and good cranking power.

Cody Sapp

Reaction score
Where are you located Cody? If you want, you’re welcome to bring the truck you’re looking at by my shop and I can look it over for you and give it a health rating. These trucks will sit for as long as you need and fire right up as long as you keep animals out of it, fuel system tight and good cranking power.

I appreciate it brotha. I'm down in Pleasanton, little ways south San Antonio. I've done some poking around, but haven't found anything local that's caught my eye. Couple up north and over east. Just trying to get it into the works

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my truck for hunting and it regularly sits for weeks at a time. I will say make sure you get any air intrusion issues dealt with or they'll drive you batty with a truck sitting for that long.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with a tight fuel system, these do great.
mine do sit or weeks at a time now that ive got a car done.
always starts flawlessly

Cactus Bob

Reaction score
I have you all beat. My 92(E350 7.3 IDI) Van is an extra and we rarely use it. (it was driven under 100 miles last year.) sometimes it sits for 6-9 months between uses. it sits with it's batteries disconnected(that's important because that little clock in the radio uses more juice than you think!) . but when we need it ...it's ready to go with no problems other than the low battery issues from just sitting. The tires are going to rot off this thing before they ever wear out.

PS : For those of you who might read this post and think you can just park your Diesel and be ok a word of warning. ULSD IS CRAP FUEL AND SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN DEVELOPED ! now that's out of my system.......Diesel today has no shelf life to amount to anything unlike the diesel of old that at even 10-15 years old you just filtered it and where good to go . In my case i use the fuel tanks on my parked/sitting cars/trucks as an emergency fuel source, all unused fuel gets switched out to daily used cars/trucks and fresh fuel takes it's place at the 1-2 year mark(gas 1 diesel 2). so beware of this "new" fuel when it get's old. you might end up with a tank of crap you can't use if you leave it too long.

Last edited:

Jme1990je

Reaction score
Cody, I’m in Jourdanton. Mine is a major project in the works, completely torn down to the frame and bare cab. It sits for months at a time and cranks up as idles happily each time I go home.