Let's talk EGT...

Reaction score
This is from FTE, but wondered what you guy's thought...

I'm really starting to wonder if the truck is running properly or not...

It get's good fuel mileage (avg 19mpg) and the power seems decent (for a rating of 185/360). The EGT's and the cold starts are what bother me.

All the fuel stuff is less then 5 months old EXCEPT the IP. Which I think is original (I base this on it's grey in color and the injectors I pulled said "2-91" on them).

On a cold start, even on a full 10 second glow (this system is ALL new and working perfect). The truck will puff white smoke on start up (not sweet at all, 100% fuel) and it'll misfire for just a few seconds, then be purring on all 8. I also noticed on a colder engine the truck idles smoother. If I've been running it all day (or a decent amount of time), when I come to a light you can feel it running a bit rougher.

EGT's are a different story. I can EASILY reach 1100 (probe in the manifold near number 8) if I stomp on it from a dead stop. Idle is 350 and driving is around 550-600 at 55mph on pretty flat ground. The only intake/exhaust mod's I've done is the Soup Bowl mod. Everything else is factory. I do notice the exhaust is TINY (compared to a factory PSD truck).

Basically, I'm asking what's your EGT? Turbo or N/A? Does mine seem high? Is the IP the issue? Timing? Lemme here what the IDI crowd thinks!

-Mike

Same ish problem I had, changed my air filter and idled much smoother when warm. After like 5 minutes of idle your at 350 or is that when you roll to a stop light?

greasemonky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok I got my pyrometer installed. With my new u-haul pump with less than 200miles I idle at about 210, 45 mph is 350 and 65 mph is 420-450. Highest I could get was about 850 going up a decent hill WOT . Truck is 5 speed with 4.10 gears and stock tires.