let it breath

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
do you feel its restrictive?

open air intake, and no muffler. if you want to go deeper, port and polish heads with angle cut valve seats.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
You can cut the soup bowl out of the air cleaner lid but I can't remember it either helping or hurting so it must not have helped.

Pound for pound the best thing you can do is put on a turbo.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Actually, I remember a guy on TDS that did the soup bowl mod and did a dyno before and after, and it showed no difference in power. And yes, a turbo is the best way to move air into the system. If you never plan on installing one, a good 3-4" exhaust with a good muffler will do just fine, and headers from stans headers will probably help also. Then you just gotta rig up some sort of intake

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember that post, but if I recal it was not conclusive and lacked some science in they way it was performed. That's not to say the test didn't have merit, it's just that I don't think it proved anything substantial. Banks did similar tests back in the early 80's, and the Banks power pack air cleaner was proven (granted, not by an independent source) to be an improvement over the stock one. I got one for the Moose Truck back then and felt that there was a "seat of the pants" improvement. So I think the best way to say it is, yes you might pick up a few HP, perhaps 5 more, by fooling around with different air intake setups, but if you want 50 HP, the turbo will have to go on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online