Leaking head gasket?

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that my I keep having to put coolant in my overflow tank. I dont have to do it too often, but enough. Also I seem to be losing some oil. I'm down below the add line and I just changed the oil two months ago. I have an oil leak from somewhere coming down the back of the engine, but I dont think it would be near that much. The truck seems to run just fine. Could these be early signs of a blown headgasket? I will admit one time i plugged the wastegate and took it for a spin. Got it easily over the 15 psi gauge. Hope I didnt destroy it then.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I was constantly loosing coolant once... I found some water stains running down the upper rad hose and the lower rad hose. Tightened up the clamps and no more coolant loss. Try tightening up all the lines... even the heater lines....

RyanDamo

1 IDI 2 Strokes
Reaction score
if your oil doesnt look like chocolate milk or if your upper rad hose doesnt build pressure quickly after a cold start, your fine

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can get some UV dye for coolant ( 2 small bottles needed for one this size ) and put it in there and test for where it might be leaking out. You will need a UV light and glasses. Most parts stores sell cheap sets that will function for around $15 ( the same ones you use for AC leak detection ) Let it run for a little bit with some cardboard in front of the rad soe the thermostat will open and it will circulate, then shut down and crawl around with the light. easiest to check after dark, the leak will glow bright yellow in a trail to the source providing it is external. If nothing showes up , then it's time to start worrying.

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not see any signs of a leak anywhere on my hoses. And the losing oil part is what is really bothering me. There is no way I am leaking as much as I have lost.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
6.9's are notorious oil consumers. Prolly need new valve stem seals. Double check Your hose clamps, as Gary suggested. Pay particular attention to the heater core connex.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I do not see any signs of a leak anywhere on my hoses. And the losing oil part is what is really bothering me. There is no way I am leaking as much as I have lost.

IF oil was going in the coolant you would see it, more than likely you using some oil somewere, the coolant all i can tell you is check for leaks, and if you dont find none then i guess its possible you could be using a small amount, but i have a question are you filling the overflow tank to the top? or are you filling it to the full line?

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
David brings up a good point. For some reason, My 85 will use coolant down to about 3-4" left in the overflow. Then stop. It never completely empties the overflow. But if I add more, it'll keep doing the same thing. ????

New HG's about 30K miles ago.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
David brings up a good point. For some reason, My 85 will use coolant down to about 3-4" left in the overflow. Then stop. It never completely empties the overflow. But if I add more, it'll keep doing the same thing. ????

New HG's about 30K miles ago.

exactly how much truck does, it likes to stay a little under half full in the over flow, and about 3/4 in the radiator if you add more it pushes it out of the overflow as i drive down the road, but as long as i dont add non it dont get rid of none and it all stays the same:dunno

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Hmmm... Had My overflow off yesterday to instal clear turn signals, guess what I found?

The overflow tank has a hole worn into the bottom of it. It's been viberating for 170K miles. Slow leak, VERY slow.

Might want to pull the bottle, and inspect!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Hmmm... Had My overflow off yesterday to instal clear turn signals, guess what I found?

The overflow tank has a hole worn into the bottom of it. It's been viberating for 170K miles. Slow leak, VERY slow.

Might want to pull the bottle, and inspect!

Since my truck is down for steering problem repairs, im gonna do that

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not fill the tank all of the way. And I would not think that my valve stems would be leaking with only 117000 on the odometer.

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well shouldn't they last a lot longer than that? I thought leaking valve stems were a problem on high mileage trucks?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online