Leaking diesel

James Case

Reaction score
Noticed something dripping toward the back of the engine when I got home from work last night. After investigation it turned your to be one of the hard fuel lines that cuts from the driver side frame across the bell housing and up into the engine bay. Seems like it connects to the fuel filter. Where it crosses the bell housing is where I guess it rattled and rubbed a hole in it. Which fuel line is this and what is the easiest/best way to repair it?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Noticed something dripping toward the back of the engine when I got home from work last night. After investigation it turned your to be one of the hard fuel lines that cuts from the driver side frame across the bell housing and up into the engine bay. Seems like it connects to the fuel filter. Where it crosses the bell housing is where I guess it rattled and rubbed a hole in it. Which fuel line is this and what is the easiest/best way to repair it?

Sounds like the return line. You could slide a piece of 5/16" hose over the damaged spot and put clamps on either side to seal it.

If it's a supply line, then use 3/8" hose instead.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure the fuel line is properly supported so it does not rub on anything.

James Case

Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking at first but wasn’t sure if I could get away with that being they are high pressure lines.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking at first but wasn’t sure if I could get away with that being they are high pressure lines.

Unless it's going from the IP to an injector, it isn't high pressure. Supply and return are 7psi or less.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
If it's the steel line at the lower end of the red line, its return.

The red line is where the 5/16" hose goes. Pic from my RV van chassis which is why it's so visible and accessible. (Dog house cover removed)

Beware that, at least on mine, there is another tiny 4" hose hiding to the left end of that steel line. I spotted it on accident yesterday.

You must be registered for see images attach

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed mine is leaking from the same place. Think it's coming from the brass three way that has the injector return lines attached to. Think it's rubber connected to plastic hard line.

James Case

Reaction score
I got the problem fixed last night. Just cut a small section out and replaced it with rubber fuel line. Now the question is what’s the best way to go about getting the air out of the system without burning up my starter?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I got the problem fixed last night. Just cut a small section out and replaced it with rubber fuel line. Now the question is what’s the best way to go about getting the air out of the system without burning up my starter?

For now, just give it rests between cranking so the starter can cool down.

In the future, you can put a cheap electric fuel pump on a switch, only using it to air purge. (Pull it's fuse if you want to avoid accidental turning on of the pump) Check your oil after to be sure no fuel got into it from a bad mechanical pump diaphragm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online