leaking coolant- oil cooler??

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

About 2 weeks ago I changed out my thermostat, radiator, and all hoses. Things were going great, but I began to smell coolant every now and then. Never could find a leak, and have doubled checked the hoses... nothing. On Friday, the truck sprung a very small coolant leak that would drip from ??? down onto the starter. The leak was very clean coolant, no mix of oil or anything else. Where would this be coming from? I checked the block drain plugs, dry. The block heater area was dry also. It seems to be coming from behind/rear of the block drain on the passenger side of the block. What is in this area that could leak, the oil cooler?

How should I deal with this? Thanks in advance, take care.

- Jerry

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the oil cooler is on the opposite side of the truck so i doubt its that i would check your heater hose connections if your sure that the block drain is not it try washing the trucking and then letting it sit to see where it is dripping from.

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. For some reason, I thought this truck had an oil cooler on each side of the block. The underside of the truck was just washed last week, (wanted to get the sand/salt off the truck after going to the beach). It is spotless, and doesn't leak anything until now. The leak seems to be coming from between the starter and the block. What is in that area if anything? Freeze plug? Thanks.

stiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about the were the heater hose comes out of the head on the passenger side?

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
h2odrx said:
i don't want to say it.. but leaky head????

when on the beach did you go splashing in the water?

I hope it isn't a head gasket. I am not positive, but if it was the head gasket, would the truck be running hot? This thing has never seen past 200 deg.

I was at Pismo beach last weekend, and immidiately pressure washed the underside of the truck; but I did not enter the water.

stiesel said:
what about the were the heater hose comes out of the head on the passenger side?

I have checked it, no visable leaks. I read a post about a member having a coolant leak in the exact same spot. He found that his upper radiator hose @ the thermostat housing was leaking and running all the way to the back of the motor where it dripped along the bellhousing and starter.

Does anyone have any recommendations for solid hose clamps. Right now, I am using IDEAL clamps...but to be honest, the quality seems a little cheesey. Thanks again.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to tighten all your hose clamps. In that area it could be a leak from just about anywhere, water pump, tad. hos, head gasket. You probably need to pressure check the cooling system. Anything else and you are kind of just guessing about cooling system problems. Head gasket failures on the 6.9 were usually external coolant leaks, didn't always cause overheating. Tell us more about your rig, year and engine specifically. The 6.9s were known for this failure and that's exactly what happened with mine. I've also had drips back there that weren't related to the heads or block, specifically the upper rad hose was leaking and the coolant was getting blown back there by the fan. That upper hoise is a b---h to tighten mine has 2 big clams tightened as tight as I can get them to go. Good luck,
J.D.

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the good responses. Luckily, the issue IS the upper radiator hose. I am going to buy another new hose and some sturdy clamps. Thanks for the help everyone, take care.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726