Leaking axle lube out the front driver's side dana 60

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, I need some help. I recently replaced the axle u-joints and the wheel bearings up front on my '91 F350 w/ Dana60.

Everything works awesome.

But, I noticed a little spot of gear lube the other day dripping off the steering knuckle.

Thinking it was residual from the work I had dome, I tried to ignore it.

But, I have seen the puddle a couple of more times, and am thinking that the axle seal may have been damaged when I had the axle shaft in and out.

If that's the case, how do you get to the axle seal? Pull the differential out of the case?

Thanks for any and all info,

Greg

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lemme guess....
driver's side?
irregardless, it's a real pita.
everything has to come apart again and the tube cleaned out before yanking out the seal. I have a driver machined for me to do this job. not fun at all.
if you can live with it, keep it topped off.
if it's on the pass side, you have a much easier time. same disassembly nightmare, but you can see the seal.

sassyrel

Reaction score
as per towcat--complete front end disassembly-----------:puke: why that couldnt be made easier!!!!! and you put the seals in from the inside!!! like tow did, i made a rod--that i could put the right size socket on the end--and then drove the seal in--and get it in straight from the start--if its cocked, and you keep driving it in---youll either ruin it, or when you get it completely in-itll be "bowed" slightly,and leak!!! around the outside, not the axle seal area-----been there only once at the cost of the seal--and at the time--i could only get the seal form ford----also----clean that axle tube out while you have it apart!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I didn't touch the seals in my D60 when I put it under my truck....Don't fix what ain't broke I say....No leaks...Not a fun part to change at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online