Leaf spring question(s)...

N.E fjord-by-fjord 2fiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My spring code is 94A

So, I am recommended by this website to get this setup:

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1509 for the front
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1515 for the rear

Now, my front end feels like i'm driving a boulder when i'm unloaded... Also, my stock 94 front leaves have a real bad negative arch to them... So I'm thinking that this recommendation might be ok, but I think the near 3,500 capacity in the front might make the ride even stiffer, which I don't want. Is there any reason that these springs in the front wouldn't be ok? :

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17021

Everything is the same about them except for a 3/4" arch increase (fine by me... my rake is ridiculous right now), and the -900lb less capacity. Does that capacity drop mean that they will over-arch right away when installed, even with that extra 3/4" of height? Just wondering if anyone has used these under an IDI, and if so, what their thoughts were...

Also, I thought of reducing the back height to help with my "dragster" rake look... I want to slightly increase that load capacity in the back (putting on a custom flatbed w a winch, and using it to haul logs), while reducing the arch height. I have a F350 rear axle from an '89... So I was thinking of using these springs in the back, instead of the 43-803 recommended above:

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1517

So I guess my real question is: Would anyone NOT install the alternative springs I have listed, and if not, why? Otherwise, does this seem like a setup that will give me what I want? IE: A large capacity in the rear for log hauling, and a softer ride in the front for my family jewels? :D

As always, thanks in advance!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those zprings designated F250 would and should be reverse arch...those springs for F350 should be flat...

Problem exists due to aftermarket providing 1 set for 2 different applications.

Solid axle setup vs TTB are different springs.

How are you bushings and shocks?

I am guessing the front end is plumb worn out..springs and all bushings...including ttb ones.

JM7.3CW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah... Bushings and shocks are all toast. I called my local guy about a leaf spring bushing replacement, and with the labor involved, it seemed better to just get new springs. Throw down a fraction more $, and get new everything.

I have a D50 front axle, not a solid axle setup... Would that second scenario of front springs I listed be ok for it you think? They are identical in almost every way, but I like the idea of a lighter capacity to help w ride... Would the -900lb help that much you think, or should I just save the extra $40, and go with what the site recommends?

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like the 3500lb rating is to help out with the TTB setup, since it looks like the Dana 60 came with softer springs... Maybe I should stick with stock capacity. I don't want to damage that front D50.

Input still appreciated.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shackles in front have bushings also, up between the frame rails. Those should be replaced while you are at it. The axle has pivot bushings also that can add play if worn out.

Last edited:

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
It seems like the 3500lb rating is to help out with the TTB setup, since it looks like the Dana 60 came with softer springs... Maybe I should stick with stock capacity. I don't want to damage that front D50.

Input still appreciated.

You're right on there. The TTB's use a really high spring rate compared to the solid axle trucks for the axle beams to function properly.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So did ya order a set?
Shipping price kill it?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got told 3480 ??? Was corect for idi
Full kit from ats $428

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might be talking out of my **** here, but if you are going for a softer ride and increase height at the same time, wouldn't a reverse shackle with super duty leaf springs be the ticket?

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to do some front springs myself. All I did was stuff some loose 350 springs under main 250 leafs until level, it's wore out.