Lazy weekend afternoon..... MPG build thread #2

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be warned, this will be a long post.

Since I'm tired from a long week and have nothing better to do on a blustery saturday afternoon, my mind is thinking impure thoughts again.....

Here's the story of my 1986 F150.

Its been in the family since the late 1990s - longer than any vehicle we ever owned - and handed down to me from my Dad when I turned 16. It has some partial restoration in it (box still needs replacing), sits fairly low to the ground in stock form and rides almost like a cadillac. This is the truck I learned to drive on and it was used as a spare when my 6.9 was being overhauled. For the most part it just sits in the yard waiting to be put to work again. Breaks my heart to see it like that.

This was ford's first truly modern half ton pickup with port fuel injected 5.0L V8 and automatic 4 speed overdrive with locked converter in 3rd and 4th gear. It still has the AOD transmission and factory 3.55 gears but the engine was replaced with a 302 propane carby setup before my dad bought it (not sure of the exact year). Maybe its the original engine and was simply rebuilt to the current LPG roller cam setup, I'm not really sure.

Best MPG this thing ever managed for me was 13.5 many years ago. Average is 10-12, which seems pretty typical for 302s (LPG is usually a minimum of 15% lower MPGs than gasoline assuming ideal tune). Not particularly powerful or economical, but in fairness the simplicity of the truck has made it extremely cheap to maintain and has in fact been more reliable than my diesel over the years I've had it - and that's saying something.

So what could I do with it?

For a little while I was toying with the idea of adapting a 5cyl MB diesel engine but the lesson from my truck and the evidence offered by the Nightmoose project leads me to believe that while light, import diesels are nice, they might not be all that economical after all when you see what a 1000lb engine can deliver in terms of MPGs. So now I'm giving some thought to dropping either a 6.9 or 7.3 diesel into the F150. Not sure if turbocharging is worth while since this truck is normally a mere 4500lbs empty in stock form (right now its closer to 5000 or more with the propane bottle and canopy). The lower stance also means smaller wind resistance and with a bed cover it should scoot along just fine even if towing the flatbed trailer we use for the business. The idea here is for maximum MPGs even if some power is sacrificed and I'm not yet convinced that for running at light load a turbocharger makes a significant difference in economy.

Transmission options

AOD...

I love the stock AOD transmission but the gear spread is horrible even for a relatively high reving 302. Anything short of WOT and it falls on its face between 2nd and 3rd; as for 3rd to 4th - LOL thats a 1000 RPM gap at medium throttle.....so even if it could be built up and adapted to a diesel IDI, I'm thinking it would be a very poor match. Too bad, because this is an all mechanical (not even a Vacuum Modulator) non computer shifted transmission.

ZF5...

I do like driving stick shift but my one experience with the ZF5 didn't impress me. The clutch was just too heavy for my taste and makes me think the truck would not be very comfortable to drive in stop and go traffic. As it is right now the F150 is easily the smoothest, and quietest vehicle in the family and I'd like to keep it that way even if it is used occasionally for work. One nice thing about it, is how low the tail gate is to the ground. So much easier to load and unload material or tools. Something that seems to have been lost with even most newer compact pickups having a high stance purely for fashion.

A single mass flywheel would reduce that problem but its still a fairly heavy clutch. I am also starting to question the notion that a manual transmission is superior to an automatic that is equipped with a taller overdrive and locking torque converter. If we compare the ~30 MPG results of the 3000lb Nightmoose with the ~25 MPG results of my taller, longer, 6000lb truck it makes me wonder if the E4OD really is such a fuel sucker.

4 speed stick...

The T18/19 transmission doesn't have overdrive and if used with tall gearing to compensate (which would be easy with a ford 8.8 rear end) then gear spread and uphill starts would become a problem. Adding an under or overdrive to bridge the gaps would address this but also add more parastatic losses and more weight to the truck. Over all, I don't think it would be a good match for what I'm after.

E4OD...

Well really, why should I mess with a good thing?:angel: Yeah, I know, this transmission doesn't have happy memories for many members here but my experience seems to be an exception. This gives me a taller overdrive ratio than all options but the AOD and decent gear spread thanks to the torque converter (compared to a T19 and some 2.5:1 diff gears, for example). It would also be the easiest to adapt into the truck since its already automatic. Since it would be installed in a fairly light, and overpowered vehicle, it should hold up even better than my current rig.

This time it would stay as a strictly 2wd setup though. Eliminating the transfer case would get rid of some extra weight and parastatic losses. This automatically adds over $500 for the baumann TCS system but since it works so well I feel its worth it.

Thoughts on gearing and final drive ratio

Right now, I'm running my F250 with a final drive ratio of about 2.18:1 in overdrive. For empty, it will easily burble its way over 5% hills anywhere over 55 MPH in top gear without smoke or high EGTs. As I documented in the "moose pump review" thread, it can also deliver consistent economy between 24 and 25 MPG when empty at that speed. Same conditions but towing a trailer, and it drops to the high 18s. Engine RPM was about 1200.

However, I later tested towing MPGs in overdrive at 70 MPH average and the results were enlightening. 2 tests; one in overdrive, one in 3rd. Both yielded 15 MPG. So getting low engine RPM isn't automatically going to deliver higher MPGs. The trick here is to get over all engine loading low at the same time as RPM otherwise it simply results in a bog down situation even if the engine isn't rolling visible smoke. Higher speed = higher engine loading and the RPM simply didn't line up perfectly for the fuel delivery/efficiency curve.

But, since the F150 will be a minimum of 1000lbs lighter and has a lower stance, it might be able to tolerate the tall gearing at higher speeds a little better. So the question is, what gearing to I aim for with something like this? Since this is a half ton rear end and I will not be converting to anything heavier, the gearing options are quite wide and 3.08s are not the tallest option available. The ford 9" rear end can supposedly take a bit more abuse in terms of torque and horsepower but it can't carry as much weight so I'm not sure if swapping to a 9" is worth while.

Since this I wouldn't put a transfer case in the truck, I would be weary of installing gears that are too tall. After all, how can it be still called a truck if it can't tow a trailer?

For tires I would run the stock size of 235/75/15 but am thinking of using load range E rated tires to get the higher pressure and lower rolling resistance....highway ribbed.

Currently the truck is sitting on mags. Not sure if going back to the stock set rims would make a noticeable difference.

Now for the engine

Proven reliable, safer bet when buying since cavitation isn't a big factor with cylinder walls that are over 1/4" thick;Sweet
That makes rebuilding or modifying one a much safer investment.
Higher compression (except early years),

Available with serpentine belt (92 - up) which is a little more efficient, and I'm wondering if the newer prechamber design is better for economy (looking for feedback about this!!).
Stronger head bolts,
More low end torque
Lighter flywheel/flexplate (after 1992).
Better rocker arms.
Lighter block due to thinner cylinder walls:rotflmao

To turbo or not to turbo.....hmmmmmm
From what I've seen so far, there is little evidence that adding a turbo really makes a difference when running empty and since that my first goal is fuel economy, a turbo might not go in.

Torque cam. Unfortunately, I still haven't seen much evidence on this in terms of economy results. Whats worse for me, is that tall geared trucks like mine are extremely rare so there is really no way to know for sure. At the very least however, it would be a cheaper alternative to a turbocharger. I wonder if 190-200 Hp would be unreasonable for a non turbo 7.3? That would be more than enough considering how much of that would be low end grunt.

Not sure if I would go through the trouble of a complete rebuild but it would be nice. Maybe have everything balanced this time too:rolleyes:

For exhaust, simple clean flowing, constant diameter 3" main pipe and 2.25" collector plumbing should do nicely. A strait flowing muffler would have to be used since there is no turbo but it would be nice if I could find one that doesn't drone-cuss

Fuel system

6.9 style fuel filter no matter what engine is used with a separate clear bowl water separator.
Dual tanks. The truck still has most of the stuff for this anyway and an empty fuel tank won't add much weight. Besides, if the truck delivers a consistent 25 MPG, that works out to a 1000 range. How cool would that be?;Sweet

Ideally I would run a baby moose pump with an economy tune (if it exists) and moose misters. The regular moose pump is more than capable of delivering good fuel economy at light power settings but without a big turbo, it would be a waste. However I'm not sure of the economy difference between the mutli-port injectors or regular code BBs is enough to be noticeable. Money no object the choice would be obvious though.

Some other considerations for the build

Since I would still like to work this truck a little, I would put a hydraulic brake booster in it since the stock F150 brakes of this era aren't good for much over bone dry empty. Replacing of all the brake lines would probably be a good idea at the same time. Can anyone give me a reason not to adapt the hydroboost to an F150?
I also might consider adding one extra leaf to the rear stack.

To accommodate the cooling package I would even consider building a new rad support from scratch out of aluminum to fit whatever aftermarket high output rad is available to keep the diesel cool. This might also save a little weight and it would be fun to build. Thinking about electric fans but so far, I haven't been able to really see for sure if its worth the cost in terms of MPG results. I could always just run without the fan anyway on some days:rotflmao

Color matched bed cover!

The general idea here is to have a nice riding, comfortable truck that delivers fuel economy better than any other truck in its size range while still having enough grunt and braking power for some towing. It should not look like a ricer with a lowrider stance and covered in plastic fairings and spun aluminum wheel covers!

I have my eye on 30 MPG @ 55 MPH empty;Really
Probably will never happen but like I said, I'm not good for much else today than some day dreaming.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• P9140242.JPG
    P9140242.JPG
    570 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing. Mel, can you tell me what sort of mods were needed to get the engine sitting into the nightmoose? were there any cross member mods needed?

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that is a lot of thought in one place, but in a nutshell it should be do- able maybe like this:
Gear vendors O/D behind E4od good billet TC. 6.9 or 7.3 built to factory specs.K&N Air filter, dual exhaust w/ x-over pipe.

Maybe I'm over simplifying it but since I get 15-18 mpg with a dually F 350 with 4.10 rear end i think 30 mpg in a half ton should be easy... by the way my first truck was 300 -6 motor f 150 with 2.73 rear, maybe that ratio would eliminate the need for GV?

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet but for mpg id finish that saturn
bbs pop matched they flow higher and will waste more fuel but with the ip set right they will be more efficent with all the same pop an engine runs smoother
look for that thread some crack job (i like what he did) that used the gps to measure mpg
but for mpg you want everything the same on the motor
also tall gears are great for mpg
id use the od unit on the 4 speed the manual will make up for mpg loss with the od so the od when used right will up the mpg

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the diesels bolt into the 150s just drill a hole or two mel will give more details
but ford thought about putting diesels in the 150 so made stuff similar
the firewall may need a bfh to massage it

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The saturn is already almost done. I've already verified a minimum cruise speed of 55 MPH and a range of 80 miles so far. All thats left is to reach my 100 mile goal and I'm happy. As it is right now I use it often for getting stuff from town. Saves on the diesel that way.

More power would be nice but its already useable.

Good to know the cross member won't be an issue though. Back before I bought my current diesel, I was thinking of putting a diesel in the F150 but eventually decided against it for reasons I now know to be incorrect.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something else I thought of.

What is the opinion out there about injectors that pop at 2200 PSI? Are they worth it?
I have a pop tester now so I can have my way with them and I have a spare set of delphi BBs.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All the idi block and heads will run either the V belts or the serpentine belt setups. All the bolt holes are drilled the same so don't think you can only run a 7.3 serpentine belt setup. I converted to serpentine belts and will never go back to v belts. Just too much trouble changing out the alternater belt. Its the first belt on the motor and.... Its the first belt to destroy itself... Go figure that deal.... Ford engineers at there best thinking after a 100 proof lunch in a bottle.....:eek: An na motor wont get close to 190 hp and thats a sorry note. The turbo 7.3 idi has more hp but... Because of the way ford smashed the down pipe and the turbo itself limits the hp. They also were trying to bring out the first psd motor that same year so they kept the idi hp down low so the psd would look better... They were working to get the future diesel truck sales...As for final gear ratios mine is 1.96 in double overdrive. I have the BTS built E4OD trans with a Gear Vendors behind that. This is with 3.55 rear end gears... This proves mph and rpm....

Attachments

• DSC00195.jpg
    DSC00195.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 26

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize the serp setup is interchangable. I was mostly thinking along the lines of getting a drop in setup which would be much cheaper than trying to get the indivudual parts off separate engines. Wreckers around here tend to get you coming AND going....

Any thoughts on prechamber differences?

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pre chamber i think 7.3 is better
also higher pop again lower milage tune the pump to injectors
id run 2100 pop fuel screw little below stock and pump advanced a degree or so
so the fuel is atomizing better with a higher pop but youre not over fueling
turn down the fuel screw from stock
and advance it to get more pickup for those high gears

talk to dyoung he got his pump maxed in every way and 2300 pop injectors iirc

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying to get that spare set of mine working and swapping them into my truck to see if there is any difference to be found.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Sorry Dave, I don't know about the precups. I would put air bags in instead of the extra leaf in the rear. I really enjoy the adjustibility they offer. My brother had a '95 PSD/E4OD that had 3:25 gears swapped into it. It towed well and got great mileage. That gear with the GV OD unit should be plenty of highway ratio in my opinion.

Are you telling me the 8.8 is better suited to weight carrying than the 9"?:dunno I had 3800# rated Timken tapered roller bearings in my 74 F100 4x4 and treated it like it was a one ton. With about 3500lb in the bed the housing would deflect enough to allow the axle seals to weep a bit of gear oil.:eek: I think trussing the housing would have solved this but nothing ever broke. Good luck with the blueprints on your next project.;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I remember reading somewhere that the 8.8 is officially rated for slightly higher carrying capacity than the ford 9". I have no idea where or when that was though. Juddging by the dents in the bed of my F150 it has probably ridden on the bumb stops a few times in it's life though. So the story goes, the owner before my Dad was an explosives contractor and used it to haul his "supplies".

I was thinking about air bags though. If it comes down to it, the weight might even be a little less than adding an extra leaf to the stack and it would not raise the rear of the truck either which would keep the trailing wake as small as possible. At any rate, that can be added later since no extra weight will be placed on the rear end for the conversion.

The only real weight we ever have to move is glass panels but rarely is that more than a few hundred pounds worth. These days big orders get delivered direct to the job site or are hauled on the trailer.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.73 rear end gears. What do you guys think?

That would put me in a VERY close final drive as my current diesel setup when you account for the shorter tires so it would probably work great.

the difference between 32" tires and 28" tires is about 14%
difference between 3.08 and 2.75 is about 12%;Sweet

With 2.75, the truck would probably be quicker off the line than my F250 before the turbo spools.
I was even wondering if going to 2.5 was worth considering.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7