Late '80's rear fuel tank?

DZL JIM

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Supposedly the '87 - '89 F-350 trucks came with a 38 gallon (maybe larger?) rear tank. We are working with a poly tank manufacturer to replicate these tanks from poly to run in our Diesels and add extra capacity.
They said they have a gap in their schedule and are seriously considering making these if we can get it all togther.

So I figured you guys, if anyone, would know about these.

I need as much info as possible, like what models they came in, or were offered in, etc. Maybe total overall size of possible?

And if anyone has one, possibly rusted out that the tank manufacturer can use to make their molds would be awesome. They are offering to pay shipping to them. We can buy these tanks new, in steel, but we believe poly is the way to go.

ANY info here is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
the rear tank capacity is 17.4 gallons and the front tank is 19.2 gallons. Where did you get the infrmation the rear tank held 38 gallons.....:dunno

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I think I remember a gmc jimmy or maybe some ford small SUV that had a 30 or maybe bigger gallon tank that could easily be swapped for one of ours... but I do not know of a pickup... 38 combined between the 2 tanks maybe?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know who made it but Ive got a 38 gal tank in my truck. The way its mounted it could be stock.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ford bronco has a 38 gallon tank and should be almost a direct replacement. i think its the cheapest way to get one.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some trucks came with a larger rear tank that drops down into the space that would normally be taken up by the spare tire. 38 gallons does ring a bell but I'm not 100% sure of the exact capacity. Some one on the other forum has one in his truck.

Go to page 17 on this PDF and you will see some diagrams that show the larger rear tank:
http://www.garagenet.biz/tanks&lines.pdf

DZL JIM

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
The Bronco tanks were 33 gallons, I have on in one of my trucks. They aren't an exact fit, but fit OK.

Problem with getting a new tank is who's going to pay for it? I know I want a poly one but I can't dish out $200 for a tank to send to someone else AND pay for a poly tank when they become available. Manufacturer wants an old rusted tank (free), they'll cover shipping.

the f -superdutys, and the 350 cab and chassis had a larger rear tank.

That's what we were thinking. Now I just need to find a used one...

Thanks.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a rear tank for an 86 cab n chassis truck. I believe its plastic and is bigger then stock. All you would have to do is rig up a plate to hold it up being that I already took the truck to scrap and left the steel mounting cradle.

DZL JIM

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Yes, I didn't think about the narrower frames, but those tanks would still bolt up OK. Narrower is better than wider. :D

Could you get overall dimensions of that rear tank?

Thanks.