large oil cooler

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my parents just bought a new house and while helping my clean out his garage i found a pair of large oil coolers that i forgot about. my grandfather used to drive a freightliner for a living and when he passed away i found two big oil coolers in his pile of "to do" parts. they are brand new aluminum and are about 2.5" or 3" thick x ~9" tall x ~15" long with about 5/8" or 1" openings. these dimensions are all from memory but should be pretty close. my questions are:

1. is there anyone here that could use them or knows anyone that could use them?

2. what are they worth?

i would assume they are next to useless for our trucks as they are so large, but i am betting a few people here drive 18 wheelers and might like to get these. if noone shows any interest in them, i will be putting them in craigslist or ebay.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
If someone where wanting to do an air/water intercooler setup, these might be good, the only problem I see is the thickness...hard to fit that much plus AC condensor, etc. Probably a non-ac truck could make use of them.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
once upon a time i toyed with the idea of replacing the oil connections with 3 or 4 inch connections to make a pair of intercoolers. this could be done by someone with access to a tig welder. then i was going to hook them up in parallel on an old truck i was messing with and considering a turbo for. life happened and it was all forgotten. as far as space considerations go, i think they would be excellent candidates for parallel intercoolers mounted where the batteries are. just relocate the batteries to a box in the bed and mount these in their place with some small fans on them. with my old brick nose, i could see cutting a small ram air hole in the front of the hood for added cool air flow at highway speeds....i might keep these afterall

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may want one for a cooler on my sandrail.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am not setting a price as of yet because i am not 100% certain on the details of the coolers, but i called a few places and given the description they estimate the value of these coolers at $200 - $300 each. i dont feel like waiting long enough to get that for them and i still need a lot of stuff for my truck. with that info, if you dont feel like sending me money then i am open to good parts or services.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got them home last night but the camera died after the first picture i took. i will take more tonight and post them tonight or tomorow. the measurements on them are 21"W x 11"H x 3.5"D the actual cooling surface is 15"Wx 11"H x 3.5"D. they are pretty heavy duty and have a working pressure of 50psi with a test pressure at 190psi. they are a little dirty from sitting for so long and have some paint scratches from being moved around but they have never been installed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, just got off the phone with the manufacturer of the coolers and he estimates that these coolers would have been sold for $300 to the distributor with an MSRP of 15-25% higher. I dont know what i could get for them here so PM me and we can work out a deal. at the end of the week they will be going on craigslist and ebay if i dont get any bites here.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still need a pic, I bet they were hydraulic oil coolers.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the guy i talked to said they were designed to be part of a hydraulic cooling system, and these were likely replacement coolers that the distributor sold after the new system was released. i should have some pics up after 6:30

forgot to mention that the in and out lines are 1"

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

here they are. the pic makes them look like they are different sizes, but they are identical.

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
Looks like a big heater core, how many tubes go in and out? just 2?

"with about 5/8" or 1" openings"

Hmmmm, not so good for me, unless.......no, I don't think so.

Sandrail oil/hydro cooler, that might work well.

LCjeff