l@@k what i scored in the lone star today!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just baffled at how that rad support fit in such a small box. But then again everything in Texas is big. Even heard they can get 20 head of cattle in a pickup truck.:dunno :D

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the disassembly continues.........

attachment.php

radiator and electric fans be gone!

attachment.php

attachment.php

oh my god.so many wires,so many hoses.so many this and that.one aux cooler mount,one hose.one wire after another!!!!!!
attachment.php

burn baby burn!!!!!!!!!!!!
attachment.php

only had to burn out one side.the other mount was already rusted off and lifted right on out.burned a hole through the lower inner fender on the drivers side,but that's just good for increased airflow.:D
had to remove my aux oil filter mount.
attachment.php

attachment.php

there she be.so you know,not too shabby! she's actually still all good,save for the mounts.someone might want to fix this thing considering how easy it might be to repair.sure i cut out intercooler piping slots and it's got some rust around the edges but that don't hurt much.
left the a/c condenser in.a/c has a leak somewhere (probably just orings) but i don't use a/c.even if i did here in ME those who do use it,only need it for 2 months lol.i enjoy the heat and haven't frigged with the a/c for years so no point in putting this back in.let the air flow through the rad better without it probably.
attachment.php

oh man.finally.what a chore.wouldn't be too bad if you didn't have aux lights,coolers,filter mounts,etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc. lol!

thankfully.something else to do now.pressure wash and and paint the new support

to be continued...................

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    448.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    333.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    323.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    387.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    491.8 KB · Views: 133

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
and i'll let the purple power just do it's magic after pressure washing off the bulk while i stop for a cup of joe.......

attachment.php

attachment.php

oooo sweet and ****,straight from the heart of Texas.

Attachments

• 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    450.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    603.8 KB · Views: 80

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok washed her down and look i painted it all up already?!

attachment.php

LOL! if i didn't tell ya you might of almost believed me.amazing how clean stuff stays out west hey guys?
so i'll let her dry while i have another cup of coffee.......hey,im liking this part after the hassle of ripping that rust one out!:D

to be continued........................

this is kinda like the chip truck show going on right here.tractor enamel comes next!

Attachments

• 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    563.9 KB · Views: 76
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 6

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok.sanded and primed a few touch up spots that needed it.i was gunna get the compressor going and fill up the spray gun,but then i thought,why? she hasn't gotta look pretty.she just has to be coated so i grabbed the brush instead.streaks ain't gunna hurt a thing here.
1 coat on side 1;

attachment.php

1 coat on side 2;

attachment.php

hit the battery trays and supports with primer.......dang im messy but if i didn't take pics who's gunna see it? lol.

attachment.php

attachment.php

ok iv had enough.is it time to go back to Oklahoma and relax again yet? ha! gotta few months to go im afraid lol.ah it's all fun.very time consuming but fun.
so i'll give her another coat on both sides again tomorrow,hit the bat trays with valspar,cut out the old mount hardware and begin to put her back together again.

pizza time!

we can't call this channel 444.log truck already owns the rights to that one lol.we'll have to call this the sister channel 7.3,the chip truck show! :D

to be continued.............

Attachments

• 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    379.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    468.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    375.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    304.6 KB · Views: 68

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good! You inspired me to get off my butt and get to work installing my new headlight assemblies. I knew it would be a pain but nowhere near as much work as you have to do. You will be happy with it once you get that work done though - a solid front end once again!;Sweet

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah shes nice and solid.the only issue with it i see is a couple cracks.this came out of a '97 psd truck.looks like she got hit in the front to cause this? the cracks could be welded but once she's bolted in and mounted i don't see how these could ever hurt anything.

attachment.php

get out there and put them lights in.seeing at night is a good thing.:D

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 4
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 69

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I've seen a few like that, with the stress cracking. Worst one was on an ex fertilizer truck that was never wrecked or moved very fast.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
alrighty then.so got the bat trays painted up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

so we all know how the story goes.you never know just what your going to need until you get in there sometimes.such as the case this time.so the pass side mount is shot.the rustiest of the two sides of the support.
attachment.php

this side is still all sound so it can stay.
attachment.php

two coats now on both sides.streaks and all.she's coated heavy and ready to go;
attachment.php

so now i'll order my parts.i need this:
http://shop.broncograveyard.com/198...Core-Support-Mounting-Kit/productinfo/331035/

and this:
http://shop.broncograveyard.com/198...ore-Support-Mount-Bracket/productinfo/331081/

ran out of acetylene on a 3 day weekend when nothing will be open until Tuesday.don't ya love it? lol.don't much matter.i'll have it refilled and the rivets burnt out before the parts get her anyway.
wouldn't you think the rivets would slide right out with both sides burnt off with an air chisel though? oh no.couldn't be that easy lol.

anyway.what a job.on the home stretch now.i'll have to use log truck as my all around truck for a few days. she's so fun to use that wont hurt my feelings any.

ouch.well that stings.$150 for the support + another $150 just in hardware! plus all that fuel money it took to drive down to Texas from Maine to go pick it up! haha just kidding.but there goes 3 bills deep.oh well it could be worse.on ebay they want 6 or 7 hundred for a support about as good as what i just took out ha!:eek:
so i very well could conclude that i basically stayed rent free in my apartment for a month in Oklahoma by scoring such a good deal on a rad support while in the area vs buying one online here,so how cool is that?! ;Sweet

to be continued..........................

Attachments

• 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    362.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    336.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    430.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 26.JPG
    26.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 27.JPG
    27.JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great thread, I'm starting to wonder if mine will be as bad around those bolt holes as yours. It would be prudent to have one sourced and ready when I pull mine out. I'd hate to have my only support fall apart on the way out and not be able to fix it.
Looks like this job would be the perfect time to do the lift pump....for those of us who have yet to "Go Electric"....

Does that paint your using do the same rust bonding as POR-15? Or is it just heavy duty paint?

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah there really is no way to know until you cut the old stuff out so you can see.your down south in GA.the odds are high,your support is as clean as the one im putting in.you can remove your grill and look up from the bottom to get a good look at it.if she's rusting out,there wont be any mistaking it.your truck didn't come from the north did it?

no.this isn't POR (Paint Over Rust) style paint.it's a heavy duty tractor enamel.though the underbody of my truck i coated with por-15.

this requires a clean and or primed surface to paint.-the best way to paint is to remove the rust first.i found that paint over rust style paint just doesn't compare to elbow grease,primer and paint.it's just going to flake off eventually.theres no way to avoid it.i know we all wish there was an easy way around it but there isn't.the only way to deal with rust is remove it.covering it up is just sweeping it under the rug......eventually it's gunna get ya lol.

http://www.valsparpaint.com/en/find...t-1/tractor-and-implement-enamel.html#/colors

the idea behind por is sound enough if you think about it.if you can smother it so it can can't get air,then the rust can't continue.the problem is,we all know rust isn't a solid clean foundation.so it simply can't stick and stay.it's gunna flake.......well or perhaps the paint is so good it remains stuck to the metal,but that rusted metal it's on is still going to flake lol.
it's holding up well enough on my cab floor (it wont be just a couple more years though and i'll need to address it.it just bought me some time is all) but it didn't work worth a lick on my chipper.
here's how i dealt with that one :sly
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...o-Wood-Chipper-With-Raptor-Tintable-Bed-Liner

i gotta comment on the electric fuel pump;
the electric fuel pump is just part of the cost of idi trucks.it goes in at purchase time.;)

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is interesting too.see what bronco graveyard also offers;

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/198...ion-Core-Support-Set-of-2/productinfo/33108A/

so instead of buying a whole mount.if the bulk of it is still all solid like my pass side was;
attachment.php

you could simply weld one of those in.of course if you have a welder and the skills to use it.otherwise by the time you pay someone you probably might as well just buy the support.

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, with POR, the prep is real important too. I don't see the point of buying expensive paint and not running an inexpensive wire wheel or cup brush over the rust real good first. I try to clean it up as much as I can before I use the de-greaser, then the metal prep and finally POR.
Afaik, my truck has been i the south since 2002...but it was Made In Canada. How long it was in residence, I cannot say but by the look of the Battery trays it has seen some salt somewhere. There is rust on the rad support, but mostly around the big mounting bolts.

Oh, and with any type of job like this....definatly worth the time to paint it right because who wants to go back in in a years time because all your paint is flaking off. I did a 1984 K5 with the POR. Ripped all the interior out, flap wheeled and wire-brush wheeled the entire thing, then POR'd it and Lizard skinned it. I used their epoxy to fill small holes. I doubt it would win an award for cleanest execution but my wife was okay with me putting our daughter in as my DD. That stuff really tightened up some old metal. I bet that thing is still huffing done the road somewhere...just not here.LOL

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i found this truck back in '09.she looked very rough around the edges but i could see past the rusty sheet metal and knew she was well worth saving and had her whole life ahead of her still........with some love and understanding..........then the conversion to set her up how i needed it.converted to dually,sprung heavy out back,stake body dump,some fresh fenders,cab corners and a new coat of paint,you'd never know it was the same truck now.
she came from Connecticut.
from 50k miles to today,closing in towards 150k.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg