Kind of an odd request for you non gated Banks guys

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a bit of an odd request, but, I'm trying to ID exactly what the existing turbo I have on my truck specs out to.
When I got it, it was 2 housings and a new cartridge in a box. When I run the part # off of the cartridge, it comes back as a turbo for a Case 8.3L I-6(1370/2470 tractor) so, I'm kind of curious if it's actually the right cartridge for this setup.
So, if anyone has a turbo off of their truck, or is willing to get back under the firewall with a mirror, I'd greatly appreciate the model number off of the tag on your turbo, especially if you know it still has the factory cartridge in it.
Thanks

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I was told that ATS actually uses the one off of some John Deere tractor and of course the Banks sidewinder was one off an Eclipse. So yeah I'd imagine that could be the case.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Hopefully Russ (typ4) will chime in. When we were doing the turbo install on my truck, I remember looking around the shop before we really got going on the install because of all the neat stuff in there. I remember seeing this gen set looking device and we were talking about it and I think he said it was a John deere motor, and that the turbo on it had basically the same center section as my truck did. Or at least I think I remember talking about that LOL

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turbo my cartridge is for has a 1.32 a/r exhaust housing, whereas mine has a Banks 1.00. That's not to say that Banks didn't just use their housings on an existing cartridge though.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The turbo my cartridge is for has a 1.32 a/r exhaust housing, whereas mine has a Banks 1.00. That's not to say that Banks didn't just use their housings on an existing cartridge though.

From my understanding, that is basically what they do. The center section is just a basic center section found in many different applications, and all banks did was take it and put on some housings so that it would work good on an IDI, and live in its effeciency range to provide good cool boost.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of curious as to if this is the right cartridge, my turbo is a lagmaster in normal weather(extreme cold it is is semi ok) It doesn't start to make boost until about 2K rpm, and then I'm lucky to make 5 psi, by 2500 WOT will get me around 10, and 3200+ will get me 15. I think that the exhaust housing is oversized, and the compressor is possibly undersized for this application, boost should keep climbing, not just stop at 15 if it wasn't, I know when I really get on it with a load on, my turbo sometimes makes bad noises like a turbo that's falling off of it's compressor map(not stalling, but running out of flow,) and the boost guage starts to flutter around the 15 mark.
That's why I'm trying to figure out what exactly I have; if it is the proper setup that Banks intended for this engine, and I need a base line to start at before I do anything.

suv7734

Reaction score
I think that the exhaust housing is oversized, and the compressor is possibly undersized for this application, boost should keep climbing, not just stop at 15 if it wasn't

With a non-wastegated turbo that is what they will generally do. The turbo (compressor/turbine ) is "matched" to the CID of the engine so it is only capable of 'x' amount of boost unlike a wastegated system that is controlled by the wastegate.
As mentioned earlier, I'll bet Russ (typ4) can probably answer your questions off the top of his head.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the idea of a non gated system is that it will keep building boost until the engine blows as long as there is fuel.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I thought the idea of a non gated system is that it will keep building boost until the engine blows as long as there is fuel.

Yes, thats the basic theory behind it I suppose. I'm guessing that at 15psi the turbo is out of its effeciency range so much that it would build much more boost without a lot more fuel.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on how the turbo is sized, boost is pretty much just how much more air the turbo flows than the engine would normally.
I think what's happening with mine is that it can only flow enough air to make 15 psi at 3200.
With a load on, it does hit 15 a bit earlier due to the governor allowing for more fuel, but, as the rpm's build the needle starts to flutter and the turbo starts to flutter by sound too.
If I had another 1000 rpm to play with, I'm sure I would see the boost drop off before it hit the governor as the airflow fo the engine increases and the turbo starts to become a restriction in the intake tract.
If I decreased the size of the exhaust housing and made it spool quicker, I'd probably see higher peak boost at a lower rpm, but, I would probably also see it exaggerate the lack of flow up top.
But, without knowing the a/r of the compressor housing, I am only guessing.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My intake housing is A/R .70....I would bet your would be close to that, just your exhaust housing would be bigger.

And talk about weird, going up a hill accelerating in 3rd gear, it will go to about 8.5psi of boost, and then when I get to about 3000rpm mark the boost will start to go down into the 7psi range. It doesnt do that in 4th though.