Kicking myself in the a$$

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Rons idea is the best in this thread so far. Before you condem the 7.3 block first make sure its bad. Like I posted early on. The shop needs to be asked a few questions bout the thread cleaning in the block. Get that head off and look closely for problems with left behind head gasket material from the first set of head gaskets. A single edge razor is what cleans the heads and block of any stuck cooked on gasket material. Its surprising how little is left on the blocks that will ruin the seal.

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is definitely worth having them check it out since I just dumped a **** load of money into the whole engine swap and everything else. I just don't understand how a gasket would fail at temp and then seem to reseal itself once cooled down but then again I'm no mechanic. I would think that once the gasket fails, it would just get worse.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well its like this. Say you have cavitation in the cylinder. How lucky are you to have the rings stop right on th holes and seal it so nothing leaks. Well you couldn't make that happen if you tried. Now think about a head gasket issue. Cold its all srunk tight but heat things up and all hel breaks loose. We are not going to know whats going on till you take it apart. I was loosing 6 gallons of water in 32 miles of driving to and from work. I pulled the heads. Looked for a problem. Built pressure plates to block off all the water jacket locations. Loaded the block with 30 lbs of air and found no leaks. Never did find that leak..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online