keep or get rid of???

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dustin, does that mean she's got a hot bottom, and the thermometers are indicating the chill all the time? Sounds like an excellent seat cover to me. LOL As for the Scout, I would think a 6.9 in a Scout would be an excellent project. Would certainly beat that Nissan plant. BTW, don't they make noodles? :rotflmao

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dbarilow said:
1972 304 auto I gotta find some pics luckily I foound a guy who took good care of her
Very nice! Sounds like you had a good one...which auto did you have? I know that nearly all Scout II's used the Chrysler Torqflite 727 auto, but IIRC some really early SII's used a Borg-Warner unit...don't know much about it, except that it existed and used a different flexplate than the TF727. With my Scout, I learned a valuable lesson...terminal rust is NOT limited to navigation buoys and Sea Scout boats LOL I didn't think to check the undercarriage thoroughly...and realized later that I had paid $2K for a truck that had spent most of its life in Michigan and Utah, and was rusted so badly that the doors didn't close properly and the body tried to fold in on itself when I removed the top :shocked: GOD!! it was a fun truck, though...I miss it... :(

Hoss6.9 said:
Early 60's Scout is either an 80 or an 800 - Depending on the year! I think 61-64/5 would be an 80 and 65/6 thru 70? is an 800.
I could be mistaken, but I think 1971 was a transition year...you could buy a Scout 800 or a Scout II. Certainly, by 1972, the Scout II was the only one available (other than the pickup and the Travelall). Personally, I always thought that a cherry Travelall with the 3rd row seat and an IDI/T-19 would make a REAL sweet rig :D

dbarilow said:
just find one with the diesel engine in it already!!!!
Just wondering, have you driven an SD-33 or SD-33T? IMHO, describing them as "anemic" is charitable...they're actually VERY reliable if you keep the EGT's down :angel: (high EGT's and a rusted-out Michigan body are why I no longer have my Scout), but a Geo Metro or a 240D would have easily outrun my old Scout, which had a turbo engine and a T-19. I drove an n/a SD-33 (hooked to a Torquflite 727 auto) once, and THAT made my truck look fast :shocked: To IH's credit, they intended the Nissan diesels to improve fuel economy, not power...and they were supposedly really good on fuel. I've heard people claim low to mid 20's (compared to a 345, where double digits is a pipe dream ;)), although I never saw much higher than 15 (that was with a cracked piston that took a while to manifest itself, though, and I didn't check mileage early on).

Agnem said:
As for the Scout, I would think a 6.9 in a Scout would be an excellent project. Would certainly beat that Nissan plant.
That would PROBABLY be fairly straightforward. It would be best to start with a truck that had a diesel to begin with, because (like our IDI's) diesel Scouts used a different tranny than g@$$ers, with more diesel-friendly gear ratios. Also, all diesel Scouts with manual transmissions used T-19's, while T-18's and (I believe) NP435's were also used behind g@$$ers. The IDI bellhousing ought to bolt right to the IH T-19, and I think the only issue there would be converting to a hydraulic clutch, assuming the input shaft is the same. There's also weight to consider, but IH used "normal" leaf springs for the front, so getting stronger springs shouldn't be a big deal. Finding a 1980 model year would be ideal, since for that year only they used a Dana 300 transfer case instead of a Dana 20, and the D300 has a lower 4L gear ratio (I think it's 2.61 as compared to 2.00 on the D20?) that makes it VERY much in demand.

I wonder how the IDI would do for fuel economy in a Scout? Considerably lighter than a pickup truck (about 4K lbs? Mel, I would venture to guess it's about the same weight that the Moosestang is, and 4K lbs is actually about what my Benz weighs :shocked: ), and while most g@$$er Scouts used lower ratios (4.10 or 4.56), I believe they only put 3.73's behind the SD-33/T's...

BTW, to get this thread semi-on-topic, my old Scout had dealer-added a/c, with a York compressor. I did a "death kit" conversion to R-134a, and, amazingly enough, never had a problem. The system leaked enough that I had to add a pound of freon twice in the year between the time I got the a/c working and the time I sold the truck, but it did a good job of keeping the cab cool. :)

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope! They continued up to 1980...in fact, the Scout I used to own came off the production line on 9-26-80 (I got lucky and found the build sheet), which IIRC was about a month before they shut down production. If memory serves, their reason for shutting down the Scout line was labor issues more than profitablilty...which IMHO is really too bad; if they had been able to hold on for 5 more years, I think the Scout production would have really made a turn for the better. But, c'est la vie, eh?

For the record, full-size pickup and Travelall production ceased in 1975. They DID build a LWB Scout II between '76 and '80 to try and fill in that gap...there were two versions; the Terra, which had a pickup bed and cab sort of like a Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler; and the Traveller, which had a full fibreglass shell and full-size liftgate (instead of the two-piece deal like the Scout II had).

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
it had the 727 I still see her run around the county she lives down the road from my mother-in laws never drove or even seen a diesel one only read about them I bought the grey IH bible they say it is out of print a lot of greaat info

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
with the start in 1961 with the 80 it was a beast designed to "replace the horse" by senior IH managers with the first engines being a slant 4 or a V-8 chopped down the center it was a 151 CID 93 hp motor. to answer the one question the 800A was built from 1969 to July of 1970 then came the 800B until April of 1971 when the Scout II was introduced I think 1977 was the first year of the Super Scout... in 1978 scout built the SSV or Supplemental Scout Vehicle it had a Composite body
(wow 1978) 1979 brought out my favorite tag line "Scout, anything else is just a car"...in 1980 they had plans on a Scout III as an 1984 model and by the way in 1980 the Baja 1000 was won by a diesel Scout (Nissan turbo) and the last scout was built on October 21 1980. you could still buy a Australian scout in 1981 but it was left overs from the end of production

There I go Hijacking my own thread!! :rotflmao

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dbarilow said:
first engines being a slant 4 or a V-8 chopped down the center it was a 151 CID 93 hp motor.
Ahh, don't you just love them? ;) I never wrenched on one of the IH slant-4's myself, but I worked at a Scout shop for a month or so after graduating high school (and it's a good thing I left when I did; I found out later from someone else that there was more than Scout parts there :shocked: ), and remember seeing a slant-4 on an engine hoist...one of the weirder engine setups I've ever seen ;)

IIRC, the 152 ci engine was half of a 304 V-8, and the 196 ci engine was half of a 392 V-8...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Ahh, don't you just love them? ;) I never wrenched on one of the IH slant-4's myself, but I worked at a Scout shop for a month or so after graduating high school (and it's a good thing I left when I did; I found out later from someone else that there was more than Scout parts there :shocked: ), and remember seeing a slant-4 on an engine hoist...one of the weirder engine setups I've ever seen ;)

IIRC, the 152 ci engine was half of a 304 V-8, and the 196 ci engine was half of a 392 V-8...
tim-
i know where there's two of those little monsters if you want to get intimate with them again..... one was recovered from deep in the santa cruz mountains....needs a "little" front end work. :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
tim-
i know where there's two of those little monsters if you want to get intimate with them again..... one was recovered from deep in the santa cruz mountains....needs a "little" front end work. :D
Don't tempt me...god, I wish I could...but with that W116 possibly back on the table, if I brought ANOTHER project home, I'd have to start living out of my truck. With that front seat no longer available, that's something I don't want to think about :shocked: LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Don't tempt me...god, I wish I could...but with that W116 possibly back on the table, if I brought ANOTHER project home, I'd have to start living out of my truck. With that front seat no longer available, that's something I don't want to think about :shocked: LOL
did you see the 116 on CL for $500? momo spins but the hamsters are dead. I was thinking on pulling the motor out of my 80 that is getting stripped this weekend and dropping it into the CL car.....but the last thing I need right now is yet another car. If you do buy yours, better speak up fast if you need parts. the bulk of the work on the car is happening on wed and thurs.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
did you see the 116 on CL for $500? momo spins but the hamsters are dead. I was thinking on pulling the motor out of my 80 that is getting stripped this weekend and dropping it into the CL car.....but the last thing I need right now is yet another car. If you do buy yours, better speak up fast if you need parts. the bulk of the work on the car is happening on wed and thurs.
Is the car just going to be stripped and scrapped? What all is spoken for so far? I may have to run down to the shop...I know that this car needs a driver's side headlight door, a driver's side rear inner lightbar, misc. interior parts, ACC parts (shudder), a foglight, wiring (apparently, part of the harness melted; it was Mickey-Moused with a pushbutton to the starter), and heaven knows what else (can probably think of a lot more before getting there ;) ). Actually, what color (exterior and interior) is the '80?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Is the car just going to be stripped and scrapped? What all is spoken for so far? I may have to run down to the shop...I know that this car needs a driver's side headlight door, a driver's side rear inner lightbar, misc. interior parts, ACC parts (shudder), a foglight, wiring (apparently, part of the harness melted; it was Mickey-Moused with a pushbutton to the starter), and heaven knows what else (can probably think of a lot more before getting there ;) ). Actually, what color (exterior and interior) is the '80?
dude-
you are going to **** on the condition over the one I am scrapping.......
bad gold repaint with a tan interior......better call me fast before I break out the wrenches...this one needs a trans and a back window(vandals) oh yea, its non-op'd

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, there goes that question ;) (if it was silver/black, I was going to see if a complete parts car might be an option) I'll call sometime tomorrow afternoon; when works best for you? ...of course, the irony here is that I'm going to be grabbing parts for a car that I'm not even sure is mine yet *l*

So much for researching this weekend... LOL

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
I think part of the fun when working on old IH trucks is hunting down reliable parts luckily there is a growing following and the internet helps!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12