Keep blowing fuses

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I keep blowing the fuse that goes to the brake lights and the warning lights, the warning lights i could care less about, but i got to have brake lights

Any suggestions?

sootman73

Reaction score
mine was doing this. i had a bunch of messed up wires in the trailer harness. had some frayed and broken ones and then one came loose inside the plug and that was blowing the same fuse. and mine is more important because i cant get out of park without having the signal from the BOO switch. LOL

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id agree wires somewhere unless youre getting shorted out bulbs
but you problly have the hot touching ground the harness is simple after taking a look it it for a while so crawl under pull it out and re wireloom it and fix any seen issues

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
as mentioned I would start with sockets and trailer wiring plugs and where they tap into first. but it's gonna be a nightmare finding...

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the easy things first. Remove all of your tail light bulbs then try again, then replace either the left or right, try again, then the other. That will rule out the bulbs (which has happened to me). If it's not a bulb, then start chasing the wiring.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do the turn-signals do ??

Will they operate without blowing a fuse ?? :)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been battling this nightmare with the clearance lights on the Moosestang. It blows the lighting fuse whenever I hit a good bump. So in the course of trying to figure out why, I was under the back end one day and wiggled a bunch of wires, and then next thing I knew, I had lost my right turn signal. Then I discovered that when I had the cruise control on, when I signaled to make a lane change to the left, the cruise would drop out. :***: This was really getting anoying. So I changed out the light bulbs... no difference. So I figured my turn signal issue must be related to the probing I was doing under the back, so I got back down under there and started unwrapping things. What I found was suitcase connector poisoning. At some point in this trucks life, somebody had used suitcase connectors to hook up trailer wires. Then later in it's life, these were removed, leaving the vampire bites to corrode. The right turn signal wire had broken internally. I spent about 3 hours trying to solder oxidized copper, splicing in replacement wire where needed and using heat shrink tubing on everything. What a pain! When it was over and done with, my turn signal was back, and the cruise control was OK again. But I still have that damn lighting fuse blowing on hard bumps. My next move is to install a lighting relay, and maybe a circuit breaker in place of a fuse. :rolleyes:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turn signals still function :dunno

Check all four corners and see that the bulbs are actually blinking.

Also, turn ON the parking-lights/markers and see that they all work.

It is possible for an 1157 bulb to shoot and GROUND itself out, causing a dead short inside the bulb.

If that doesn't reveal the problem, there is a way to dis-connect the "harness" and test each section for short to GROUND, thus isolating where the problem is at.

It is far easier to splice new wire at the tail-lights and route it around all that factory mess, than to try to find a needle in a haystack. :)

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I've been battling this nightmare with the clearance lights on the Moosestang. It blows the lighting fuse whenever I hit a good bump. So in the course of trying to figure out why, I was under the back end one day and wiggled a bunch of wires, and then next thing I knew, I had lost my right turn signal. Then I discovered that when I had the cruise control on, when I signaled to make a lane change to the left, the cruise would drop out. :***: This was really getting anoying. So I changed out the light bulbs... no difference. So I figured my turn signal issue must be related to the probing I was doing under the back, so I got back down under there and started unwrapping things. What I found was suitcase connector poisoning. At some point in this trucks life, somebody had used suitcase connectors to hook up trailer wires. Then later in it's life, these were removed, leaving the vampire bites to corrode. The right turn signal wire had broken internally. I spent about 3 hours trying to solder oxidized copper, splicing in replacement wire where needed and using heat shrink tubing on everything. What a pain! When it was over and done with, my turn signal was back, and the cruise control was OK again. But I still have that damn lighting fuse blowing on hard bumps. My next move is to install a lighting relay, and maybe a circuit breaker in place of a fuse. :rolleyes:

I have always hated electrical problem:rolleyes:LOL

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Your passenger headlight is really dim man remember we noticed that one day

I do remeber that, but i already fixed that problem, it had a loose wire on the headlight, i hope i can actually find the time to work on the truck today, but right now its raining:puke:

Cole Roberts

Reaction score
I do remeber that, but i already fixed that problem, it had a loose wire on the headlight, i hope i can actually find the time to work on the truck today, but right now its raining:puke:
Did you ever find the issue? My truck is doing that as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online