Kansas killed my 7.3 n/a

Chance jeffrey

Reaction score
So over this last weekend I took an ill prepared trip to the far side of Kansas about 600 miles away from where I live in Colorado
Anyways on this trip I had gotten some very bad fuel I have no idea what was wrong with it but it felt like I had took on a ton of bricks I was stuck doing 45 down the interstate 60 was pushing my egts way too hot
I figure it's the fuel because I later switched to my reserve take which I filled in akron colorado along my route out
My trucks symptoms that have started on this trip are.
1.)Excessive blowby to the point I had to get creative to open more air flow because the cdr was choking the motor.
2.)Now my coolent Temps are pretty warm about 200 (iv invested in an after market radiator can't rember who it was but its a custom piece and iv only broke 200 when I was on it and hard but now practically idling I'm running hot
3.)Motor shake like a son of a. But no rpm fluctuations

I would like to know what if anything I can do to save this motor or what I should do?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Concerning part is the blow by. That is a sign the engine is hurt.

Questions -

Did everything clear up when you switched tanks? What was different with the diesel from the other truck?

Are you home or needing to get home?

When did you last replace your cdr valve? FYI many say these trucks idle worse with CDR removed, re-routed.

What is your rpm at idle now?(Is it different than before.)

How does your oil look?

How does your oil smell? (Perhaps like gasoline?)

If your truck is not a stick -

How does your ATF look?

How does your ATF smell?

How does your coolant look?

Let us know and we all can weigh in.

My guess is if the blow by is new that something was ready to go and did. Or your fuel had gasoline in it. (Dropped gas in their diesel.). Thus started excessive wear on your internals.

But running as is will likely hurt the engine more. If home I would start with a compression test.

Let us know the answers and several folks will weigh in.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
200 degrees on the temp gauge is not hot. Especially pulling something in this heat. When it climbs to 230, pull over and let it idle, it will cool off.

When you get back home, go to harbor freight and buy their diesel compression tester and see what you have on the cylinders.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
200 degrees on the temp gauge is not hot. Especially pulling something in this heat. When it climbs to 230, pull over and let it idle, it will cool off.

A weak fan clutch can cause higher temps too. And of course summer heat. Turn off AC and use a 12 truck fan with the windows down since AC puts more load on the engine and heat on the radiator. My RV ran 10+ degrees hotter before the new fan clutch. I turn off AC for steep grade climbs. But agreed 200 is pretty normal for summer hauling.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Did you pull your fuel filter and check the fuel?
A strap wrench will get it off without destroying it, and it can be put back on without leaks. I have done that a few times on my RV. Once to do return line o rings, once to put in ATF to clean the IP and another to have timing done.

Chance jeffrey

Reaction score
Concerning part is the blow by. That is a sign the engine is hurt.

Questions -

Did everything clear up when you switched tanks? What was different with the diesel from the other truck?

Are you home or needing to get home?

When did you last replace your cdr valve? FYI many say these trucks idle worse with CDR removed, re-routed.

What is your rpm at idle now?(Is it different than before.)

How does your oil look?

How does your oil smell? (Perhaps like gasoline?)

If your truck is not a stick -

How does your ATF look?

How does your ATF smell?

How does your coolant look?

Let us know and we all can weigh in.

My guess is if the blow by is new that something was ready to go and did. Or your fuel had gasoline in it. (Dropped gas in their diesel.). Thus started excessive wear on your internals.

But running as is will likely hurt the engine more. If home I would start with a compression test.

Let us know the answers and several folks will weigh in.
I will try and go down your list
Upon switching tanks my egts slowly started coming back around and she sounded alot happier I was able to pick up the pace a bit blowby calmed down a bit.

I made it home I kept my Temps in check and never pushed it hard my goal was if it's gonna break I want it to as close to home as possible
Took 16 hours to make a 7 hour drive though kept back roads and only used coop fuel on my ways home(figured a farmer wouldn't cut there fuel)
Iv never replaced my cdr as iv never had issues with it before but upon inspection I have alot of oil in the intake runners now
My idle speed is the same 650 it was before
My oil was broke down when I got home it was fresh t6 when I left it had a little tang of gas in it I tasted it I couldn't find any decent oil to do an oil change with at those times of night
My truck is an e4od freshly rebuilt trans fluid is still fresh and no signs of burning
My coolent is contaminated now its got a film of oil no consumption though or bubbles when thermostat is open

I will try and get a comp test done

Chance jeffrey

Reaction score

When you get back home, go to harbor freight and buy their diesel compression tester and see what you have on the cylinders.
I know 200 isn't hot for these motor under load but it's unusual for mine I have always been able to run the **** out of mine and never break the 200 mark before usually I stay around 180 to 190 even on a hot day loaded it's just concerning when I'm idling and my Temps don't want to get under control even now without the trailer

Chance jeffrey

Reaction score
Did you pull your fuel filter and check the fuel?
When I thing back on the fuel I picked up before the problems started I thought looked off kind of orange in color my fuel filter is good pulled it yesterday seafoamed my truck fuel looked normal when I dropped it

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have accidentally pumped gas instead of diesel into your truck. I almost did that yesterday at a Sinclare station because the pumps and handles were marked in a confusing manner to me. I talked to the station attendant about it and she told me they have people pump the wrong fuel every now and then. You would think all the stations would have to follow the same color markings to prevent this from happening.
James

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a 6.9? What year?

Another member recently got bad fuel at a station, gas mixed with diesel. A lot of gas apparently. Which could/would wash down the cylinders and cause a ton of blow-by. Maybe same thing for you?
You tasted the oil, lol? I've never tasted engine oil on purpose but you can smell gasoline or diesel easily if it's in there. Sounds more and more like a bad tank of fuel, sure hope no permanent damage.

Jay Krout

Reaction score
bad fuel...ok....how and why would they mix gas in with diesel???? I know weve got some water in the diesel now and then in the winter, but gas????......thats a new one to me. Only way I can think of is the delivery guy dont know what he is doin in which case he should be fired last month

Chance jeffrey

Reaction score

Another member recently got bad fuel at a station, gas mixed with diesel. A lot of gas apparently. Which could/would wash down the cylinders and cause a ton of blow-by. Maybe same thing for you?
You tasted the oil, lol? I've never tasted engine oil on purpose but you can smell gasoline or diesel easily if it's in there. Sounds more and more like a bad tank of fuel, sure hope no permanent damage.
It's a 1991 f350 with the 7.3

Chance jeffrey

Reaction score
bad fuel...ok....how and why would they mix gas in with diesel???? I know weve got some water in the diesel now and then in the winter, but gas????......thats a new one to me. Only way I can think of is the delivery guy dont know what he is doin in which case he should be fired last month
I'm not sure how gas could end up in diesel

Chance jeffrey

Reaction score

I taste oil because I don't have a sense of smell from when I was a drug addicted and snorted dumb stuff so I have to rely on taste

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance