Just so you know...You're all drivng Powerstrokes

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I beg to differ, I actually miss my 6.0 very much it was extremely reliable had awesome power and great mileage I never had any problems with it except for ficm wireing, only took hour to swap, yes it is more complicated but like any machine you "get the hang of it" and was actually really easy to figure everything out, one thing I did not like is the injectors under the valve covers, that did take some time changeing one that was bad, don't flame me for this just giving my opinion yes I love my IDI lol ;Sweet

well everyone around my litte town is ******* diesels and they got em chipped up and **** and dog them all the time!!! weve had 4 6.0's in this town that ive known about. 3 have left with problems and one just disapeared after the guy put 2 transmisions in it so idk i wouldnt buy one but everyone to them selves i reckon

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had some beer but I made sure to reread it a couple times and they dont actually call the IDI a powerstroke, they come close and toss it in as if it were though... The way they write makes it sound like they are calling it a powerstroke, but in actuality they are insulting it moreso at the end of the IDI entry

"featured a modest 170 HP and 315 lb-ft of torque. The truck world eagerly greeted that[the?] very first Power Stroke® diesel." I dont think they meant that as in that IDI, but that DI 7.3, but they shoulda worded it better :mad: like changing the word that to THE and were being indirectly negative about the meager numbers put out by a stock 6.9 NA

So torque has remained in the mid 500's for all the powerstrokes?

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
no thanks there! 6.0 ares JUNK id buy a 7.3 psd way before a 6.0.

Every engine has had its problems. Just the 6.0L had more media coverage.

Would you walk away from a 6.9L/7.3L because of the cavitation? How about a first series 6.9L with weaknesses around the block heater or poor lifter design? Alot of those were catastrophic failures too.

Even the first series 7.3L PSD had issues with CPS and TPS sensor functions.

Perspective my friends. Just as all of the other engines had their problems worked out, so will the ones down the road.

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes I agree the 6.0 only were portrayed horribly because of media mainly with what happened with the few 6.0 ambulances that failed on the job and patients had to suffer because of it, but of course those were the 2003 models I myself had an 04 with like I said no problems I never towed 20,000 pounds with it however I did pull a big gooseneck dump bed more than enough times with it filled with smashed concrete from the job and it had one of the greatest transmissions I think I will ever encounter in my life time.. the ZF6 manual trans I would do anything to put one of those into my idi right now

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Every engine has had its problems. Just the 6.0L had more media coverage.

Would you walk away from a 6.9L/7.3L because of the cavitation? How about a first series 6.9L with weaknesses around the block heater or poor lifter design? Alot of those were catastrophic failures too.

Even the first series 7.3L PSD had issues with CPS and TPS sensor functions.

Perspective my friends. Just as all of the other engines had their problems worked out, so will the ones down the road.

thats true and cavitation might take my truck tommarow who knows? lol id be one mad SOB but id get over it and put a new engine in it guess thats the same way with other motors u get over it and fix it :dunno

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing the cab to get to the turbo is one sin about the 6.0 that I can't forgive. In fairness I do remember reading that according to service records they were more reliable than the 7.3L stroker but I would have to wonder what the terms of that servey were after learning a bit more about how polls are often conducted and presented.

I guess if you buy new or near new trucks all the time the servicing aspect isn't much of an issue but thats never been an option for me so reliablility and servicability without the benefit of a factory warranty are first and foremost with any work vehicle I own. I just don't see the logic in spending $50k on something that devalues faster than you can pay it off, has higher insurance rates and higher maintenance costs. And then in a few years you trade up and start the process all over again.

If I really wanted to, I could probably shell out for a used powerstroke but until some one drills a 2" wide hole in the side of my head, that won't likely happen LOL. Drove one once with a stick shift. Sure it was fast, but it wasn't an IDI and I know it wasn't getting 20-24 MPG.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
thats true and cavitation might take my truck tommarow who knows? lol id be one mad SOB but id get over it and put a new engine in it guess thats the same way with other motors u get over it and fix it :dunno

yes it may take your tuck tomorrow or it may take mine but at lest it only took 20 years LOLLOL

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
The Article isn't saying that the early trucks were Power Strokes, it simply states that that is how the Power Stroke Story began, with the 6.9. Diesel

Then the story states that the first Power Strokes were in 1994. Looks like a pretty correct article to me,...

I read it a little differently

That first power plant, the 6.9L Indirect Injection (IDI) engine, featured a modest 170 HP and 315 lb-ft of torque. The truck world eagerly greeted that very first Power Stroke® diesel. Not long after, came the next generation Ford Super Duty truck with the amazing 7.3L IDI diesel engine, produced from 1988-1993.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Having owned a 6.9, 7.3 and a 7.3PSD I can say I would buy any of them again, all good engines. I do miss the power of my 97 450 with the PSD and 4.63 gears...I may have another one down the road but I doubt I will ever own a 6.0, 6.4 or 6.7 due to their price and cost to repair....Even doing it myself it can still get expensive....There's a reason I have hung on to my 12V Cummins waiting to find a home for it - easy to make decent power and it doesn't break the bank to do it.

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not anti PSD, I just think it was a little misleading the way they worded the whole article. I've driven 7.3 psd trucks from 96 models to 03 and loved them all. The turbo access would make me never want a 6.0. I love my Ford with 7.3 IDI and I would never put a Cummins into it. And if I ever had the money and needed a brand new turbo diesel truck, I wouldn't hesitate on the 6.7 at all. I honestly hope its a success and brings Ford back to the top of the competition. I REALLY don't like how you can't get a manual behind one though, I think this is a big mistake Ford is making.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I read it a little differently

That first power plant, the 6.9L Indirect Injection (IDI) engine, featured a modest 170 HP and 315 lb-ft of torque. The truck world eagerly greeted that very first Power Stroke® diesel. Not long after, came the next generation Ford Super Duty truck with the amazing 7.3L IDI diesel engine, produced from 1988-1993.

OOOOOOOoooooooooooooo,...I missed that,....:frustrate

Yea guess your right,...my bad,...Carry on,...:D

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But, they are building the new motor in Mexico, so chances are, it wont. :rolleyes:

I know people who won't buy one simply based on the principle of buying crap made in Mexico.

Oh great, now were gonna have a new version of the infamous 53 block

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I REALLY don't like how you can't get a manual behind one though, I think this is a big mistake Ford is making.

The writing with manual transmissions has been on the wall for a while now and each of them are moving in that direction so ford has little to loose by doing this. Automatics offer better acceleration, consistent engine loading, and better control over the driver's foot (emissions).

Not saying I agree with it, but thats where things are going. Personally I love driving stick in the ranger and saturn and am sad to see that option slowly strangled away even though my trucks are both autos.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Agreed, auto's are purely a emmisions device now. I doubt if the cummins is upped in power that it can have a manual, to hard to get it to pass emmisions.

Also heard te 6.7 is having a hard time pass stricter emmisions. I think that's why try are rated at the same hp/tq as previous 6.7 cummins. Probably will have to add urea.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a note. You do not have to remove or lift the cab to access the turbo on a 6.0. It is tight for sure but so is the factory IDI ATS turbo. (scars on my firewall prove it). It seems the ULSD has helped cure some of the 6.0's initial ailments regarding the EGR coolers failing as well.

I personally love mine which is now at 117k miles and returning better mileage in a 8000lb truck than my 93 does at 6500lb. Getting tired of all the uneducated 6.0 bandwagon bashing.

My current total non maintenance item repairs for the 6.0 have totaled $0.00.