Just so you know...You're all drivng Powerstrokes

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lighter, more powerful and more fuel efficient (as well as B20 fuel compatible), this engine, built in Ford's Chihuahua, Mexico engine plant, takes diesel engineering to an entirely new level. New features include "Instant Start" glow plugs for quicker starts in even the coldest weather; a new, lightweight compacted graphite iron engine block (160 lbs lighter than the current 6.4L); aluminum cylinder heads (a Power Stroke® first); and piston-cooling jets for longer engine life.

Two words: no thanks :puke:

It was a cool article just the same, thanks for the link. And it says power plant, not power stoke. :angel:

You are both right, but the highlighted parts validate the thread title

The Power Stroke® Diesel story began in 1982, when the Ford Motor Company made a decision that would transform their Super Duty® pickups into the most highly regarded and hottest-selling trucks in America. In pursuit of a whole new level of durability, power, torque and capabilities, Ford partnered with International Truck and Engine Corporation or ITEC (later re-named Navistar, Incorporated) to create a new standard in diesel engine technology that would help redefine the industry.

That first power plant, the 6.9L Indirect Injection (IDI) engine, featured a modest 170 HP and 315 lb-ft of torque. The truck world eagerly greeted that very first Power Stroke® diesel. Not long after, came the next generation Ford Super Duty truck with the amazing 7.3L IDI diesel engine, produced from 1988-1993.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"The 6.7 is a groundbreaking engine with amazing Ford advancements, such as aluminum cylinder heads, plastic wrist pins, and a balsa wood crankshaft." :sly

Nearly fell off my chair;Sweet:rotflmao
Balsa wood crank shaft, now introducing the biodegradable diesel engine. Its probably only a matter of time:rolleyes:

Lighter, more powerful and more fuel efficient (as well as B20 fuel compatible), this engine, built in Ford's Chihuahua, Mexico engine plant, takes diesel engineering to an entirely new level. New features include "Instant Start" glow plugs for quicker starts in even the coldest weather; a new, lightweight compacted graphite iron engine block (160 lbs lighter than the current 6.4L); aluminum cylinder heads (a Power Stroke® first); and piston-cooling jets for longer engine life.

Two words: no thanks :puke:

It was a cool article just the same, thanks for the link. And it says power plant, not power stoke. :angel:

Piston cooling jets???? The IDIs had that from day one!

Seriously - forgive my ignorance here, but is this really the first powerstroke to have cooling jets?

EDIT: never mind, found out that it was NOT the first PS to use cooling jets. Gotta love how marketing makes old ideas seem revolutionary.

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also not mentioned yet here is the term Super Duty being used back to 1982. So this means my 1990 F-250 is not only a Power Stroke, but it's also a Super Duty too!! :sly:DLOL:rolleyes:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I've been hearing great things about the 6.7. Still needs some
miles on it to prove itself though. I honestly don't see why you guys are talking it down so much. I'm sure they will have problems, but heck so do our IDI's.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
And on the record, I would take a 6.7 over an IDI anyday. I could sell it and buy a couple really really nice IDI's ;Sweet

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
The Article isn't saying that the early trucks were Power Strokes, it simply states that that is how the Power Stroke Story began, with the 6.9. Diesel

Then the story states that the first Power Strokes were in 1994. Looks like a pretty correct article to me,...

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
funny i didnt see a 7.3 or 6.9 idi at the powerstroke trailer at the nationals huh some one musta engineered that link

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
funny i didnt see a 7.3 or 6.9 idi at the powerstroke trailer at the nationals huh some one musta engineered that link

i saw that, those engines were pretty hacked up, the paint was coming off all them too. yeah i expected to see a IDI...and steal it! ;ReallyLOL

-Jon

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no thanks there! 6.0 ares JUNK id buy a 7.3 psd way before a 6.0.

I beg to differ, I actually miss my 6.0 very much it was extremely reliable had awesome power and great mileage I never had any problems with it except for ficm wireing, only took hour to swap, yes it is more complicated but like any machine you "get the hang of it" and was actually really easy to figure everything out, one thing I did not like is the injectors under the valve covers, that did take some time changeing one that was bad, don't flame me for this just giving my opinion yes I love my IDI lol ;Sweet

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
The Article isn't saying that the early trucks were Power Strokes, it simply states that that is how the Power Stroke Story began, with the 6.9. Diesel

Then the story states that the first Power Strokes were in 1994. Looks like a pretty correct article to me,...

Thank you, I was about to point that out myself. Not trying to offend anyone, but some of you are a little too anxious to jump on the anti-PSD bandwagon in my opinion. Kind of reminds me of the fear that sparked the dark ages honestly cookoo

I like my old truck too, but once you understand how the PSD works, it really isn't all that hard to grasp. Although some of the accessibility is obnoxious I must admit.
I would love to think my truck could stay on the road forever, but I know that isn't a realistic outlook.

On a side note, I sure wouldn't mind a good old 7.3 PSD like my old man has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online