Just installed turbo on my 6.9 now leaking oil

e30bradley

Reaction score
Just installed turbo on my 6.9 now leaking oil from valve covers and oil pan

I installed a factory turbo on my 6.9 from a 1994 7.3 engine I bought. When I put the turbo on the truck is now leaking from the front of the oil pan and both valve covers. I replaced the valve cover gaskets at the time I put the turbo on. I replaced the oil pan spring of 2015 and it didn't leak a drop until I put the turbo on.. Now the oil runs out. I am using a factory 7.3 valve cover breather and it seems to be flowing the crankcase gas out fine. Any ideas how to stop the leaking?

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When you worked on the oil pan.. Did you install a cork or rubber gasket?

e30bradley

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to redo the CDR to match the turbo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I am using the factory turbo 7.3 valve cover with the 7.3 CDR valve.

When you worked on the oil pan.. Did you install a cork or rubber gasket?

I used permatex sealant after letting the engine Drip without the pan on for at least 24hrs. Prior to putting the turbo on I drove at least 10,000 miles on the new pan without one drop of oil. After putting the turbo on the pan was immediately leaking out the front right behind the crank pulley.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Likely maki g enough boost to create enough blow by and pressure in crankcase that it is pushing oil out where it can

JM7.3CW

e30bradley

Reaction score
The truck leaks at idle too, not just when boosted. I just don't know why it would have so much pressure using factory turbo 7.3 parts. Do turbo idis usually leak?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck leaks at idle too, not just when boosted. I just don't know why it would have so much pressure using factory turbo 7.3 parts. Do turbo idis usually leak?

If it blew out due to hi crabkase pressure then even at idle it would as well...because once a leak starts it never stops...till it is correctly rectified

e30bradley

Reaction score
Today after work I swapped out the cylinder 2 injector line so I could fit the factory air box to the engine. I was thinking the draft of the intake would pull more crank case pressure out than just a hose to the ground off the CDR. The leak has reduced some. At idle when the engine is hot, the fan blows one drop of oil from under the crank pulley every 3 seconds. Looks like I am going to be doing the pan again..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today after work I swapped out the cylinder 2 injector line so I could fit the factory air box to the engine. I was thinking the draft of the intake would pull more crank case pressure out than just a hose to the ground off the CDR. The leak has reduced some. At idle when the engine is hot, the fan blows one drop of oil from under the crank pulley every 3 seconds. Looks like I am going to be doing the pan again..

Doing pan in truck is not condusive to a good job...not saying it cannot be done but wow...I wouldnt do it myself.

Good luck.