Just bought my first PSD.

Fordman84

Fordman84
Reaction score
Hello Everbody, its been a long time since i posted on here, I just bought my first powerstroke diesel, ive had 3 idi's and i loved them, but i saw the superduty and i just had to have it. (See picture in sig.) I gave $8,500 for her and was wondering if i got a pretty good deal, it has 160,000 on it, it starts great, it runs and drives great, it was all bone stock, i took out the muffler and cat on it. i was just wondering if you guys had any tips on what i should look out for, or what kind of chip\programmer would be a good one to invest in. Any and all tips\advive would be appreciated. thanks.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I can only tell you what limited experience I have as one IDI guy to another, but if your truck was well cared for with proper maintanance and oil changes, it seems you got a reasonable deal. Is this the 99 in your sig, or is that a gasser? If so, what year truck is it? There are a lot of threads on programmers versus chips. I got an Edge Products CTS and run power level 2 in my Excursion. It brought my MPG up by 2 to 3 and it feels like it has a good bit more power. I'm already seeing a significant savings of about $150 a month in fuel, so this $500 device will have paid for itself pretty quickly and I have a nice package of gauges and maintanance reminder to continue using in it. I wished I had bought it years before. Does your new truck have the Gold coolant? They say cavitation is not an issue with these motors that had it from the factory. As with any new to you rig, change all the fluids and filters for sure.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cavitation isnt a big problem on the psds.ive never heard of it happening to them,not saying it doesnt.

the psd responds to chips 10 times better than programmers.you can try some of the cheap mods first if you wish,10k mod,BB in the fuel pressure regulator,gut the ebpv,tymar type intake,compressor wheel(dont waste your money on the wicked wheel.its just the stock compressor wheel for the 94.5-97 with a big price tag.)

as far as a chip i run tony wildman programs and couldnt be happier.also heard nothing but good about DP tuner.

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
I agree with 94f450sd that chips are the way to go. I have also read and heard good things about DP tuner. I have a TS 6 position and I'm not sure if your truck is an automatic or not but any TS chip (Tony Wildman, etc.) will help with you shift points and help you tow just about anything. But I would invest in a Tymar intake and a good down pipe to help the turbo breathe.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Only bad thing about Do Tuner. Jody uses more timing in his programs, which makes the engine louder.I would also look @Power Hungry Performance. Bill is one of the original aftermarket tuners

Fordman84

Fordman84
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, it is a powerstroke not a Gasser. I really love the truck, today I did the Napa 6637 filter, **** and cat delete, I ordered a complete Turbo back stack kit, a TS 6 position chip, and the gauges. If you guys think I need some more stuff for it let me know, pros and cons of what I have done and ordered would be appreciated. Thanks. It is an automatic by the way.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where did ya get the chip fromif memory serves me the chip are copyrighted now wich means only the person you get it from can reburn it.so if its got TS programs you cant have wildman or DP tuner reburn it.i could be wrong though

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, it is a powerstroke not a Gasser. I really love the truck, today I did the Napa 6637 filter, **** and cat delete, I ordered a complete Turbo back stack kit, a TS 6 position chip, and the gauges. If you guys think I need some more stuff for it let me know, pros and cons of what I have done and ordered would be appreciated. Thanks. It is an automatic by the way.

OOOO we get to help you spend money.....:sly

Tranny cooler?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is where some of the sensors are located.

Attachments

• engine%20parts.jpg
    engine%20parts.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 16
  • PSD%20Engine%20Labels%201.jpg
    PSD%20Engine%20Labels%201.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 17

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist