Just another homemade POP tester

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the technology. [emoji6]

Yeah, if you could simulate the pump or use the pump it probably would tell you something about the pump/injector condition. As the pump should be much faster ramp up in pressure, the pop testor should be a worst case for the sealing of the injector. If you run the pressure right up to just under the pop pressure and it doesn't dribble I'd say she's a winner.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably watching the shape of the pressure drop would tell you something too. If I were developing injectors, I'd be all over that.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made a version like this with o-ring plugs. Got the same comments about the cap. Did a second version where the plug and jack has been tapped for 1/8 pipe threads and a hydraulic union connects them. Would have liked to eliminate the whole reservoir and cylinder, but just was not a decent way to plug the tiny hole and supply test fluid to the pump.

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• DSCI0574.JPG
    DSCI0574.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
POP tester accessory

So I made a little accessory for my pop tester. My truck has a little shake to it and I suspect a fouled injector; the only problem is you have to pull all eight, make a mess of the return lines, etc just to find ONE faulty one.

I had some 1/8" tube (the stuff I had happened to be nickel - yes, nickel) but I guess brake line would work cookoo. I silver soldered an adapter on and voila! In-situ pop testing! Nice thing about the metal line is that (compared to a hydraulic hose) it doesn't expand so your POP is less fuel; I don't over-test and fill the cylinder with fuel.

I used the digital gauge again. Pumped up to near pop pressure and watch for leak down (*******). If the pressure held well then I used the peak hold to measure the actual pop pressure. All of mine were between 1820 and 1860 except one; it was popping at 1715. Start to finish to pop them now is less than an hour (no turbo!).

Thanks for looking!

Black dawg

Reaction score
I built a hose for this a few years ago, really helps when you are burning different fuels and suspect a dirty injector. I dont have a fancy gauge like that though;Sweet

I never worried about over fueling the cylinder, just cranked it with no glow plugs and pump shut off to clear fuel. Mine is low compression though, and it never tried to fire on this fuel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online