Just another homemade POP tester

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been borrowing some equipment from work to pop my injectors (pump and precision gauge - see http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?63111-Best-homemade-pop-tester-Ever ) so I figured I might as well make my own pump and either use a ***** gauge or borrow the digital one from work.

I bought a ***** 2 ton hydraulic jack and modified it. I replaced the jack piston with a brass plug rather than weld an NPT fitting to the cylinder cap...

Crappy jack for $16
You must be registered for see images attach

The top of the jack cylinder has a very small vent hole to prevent over extension of the jack piston. Silver solder fixed that up.

Lathe time. Brass plug with NPT thread and o-ring seal to fit the cylinder bore.

This is how the brass plug fits; the cylinder / reservoir cap will hold it in place. Two advantages of using the plug instead of welding an npt to the cap are, you can rotate the pressure assembly to any position, and the plug with o-ring puts less stress on the cap due to reduced surface area.

Bath time! Twenty minutes in the ultrasonic bath will clean everything up.

Parts drying.

Plug installed (note: this pic is out of order... this was a test fit before I tapped the NPT, for those with a sharp eye).

And the rest of the fittings. The pressure gauge connection port is a Rawlston fitting; it is an NPT but uses an o-ring face seal. This allows you to switch between gauges, etc but does not use teflon or other thread sealer.

It works! The gauge I am using is borrowed from work; it is very accurate (0.1% of reading) and has peak hold ;Sweet

Thanks for looking!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not fair....that guqge is saweet.

Great job btw on the pop tester.

What about an easy fill port threaded and piped so no laying jack on side?

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not fair....that guqge is saweet.

Great job btw on the pop tester.

What about an easy fill port threaded and piped so no laying jack on side?

Thanks!

Yup, easy fill is coming. Actually I will plug the existing hole and put one near the top to increase capacity and allow venting.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much you selling these for? Minus the fancy gauge

Hmmm... shipping pretty expensive... plus USD x 1.4 to CDN :rotflmao

Cost me about $50 in fittings (not including the Rawlston...don't even ask), plus $15.99 for the pump. It would be easier just to sell/ship the brass plug. Only need a couple of dimensions to make that anyway.

One thing I could have done to make this easier is just make the brass plug longer so the o-ring fits deeper into the cylinder... no need to weld that vent hole. The hole was so small I didn't see it even with my damn drugstore glasses.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
I like the brass plug idea! What were the threads on the injector? Or do you just a have a parts list of the fittings? I like the way this tester looks

I just found you mentioned the thread size as 12mmx1.5 in you other thread ;Sweet;Sweet

Last edited:

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I can get ahold of an old 8 ton jack if you are up for machining and selling the brass plug to members :D

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest a smaller jack. The top cap of the jack is not intended to take the load that the piston is supposed to. I would be concerned that you would blow the top off. I know the cap on mine is some cast POS... If you are expecting 1850 psi my jack (cap retaining the brass) has to withstand 1450 pounds. I guess an 8 ton uses the same pressures (same manual pump) so the area is simply 4 times bigger; you will have 5800 pounds on the cap.

Plus with your jack I would need a brass blank big enough to fit the cylinder; my jack was only 1" diameter cylinder - yours is probably closer to 2"

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I would suggest a smaller jack. The top cap of the jack is not intended to take the load that the piston is supposed to. I would be concerned that you would blow the top off. I know the cap on mine is some cast POS... If you are expecting 1850 psi my jack (cap retaining the brass) has to withstand 1450 pounds. I guess an 8 ton uses the same pressures (same manual pump) so the area is simply 4 times bigger; you will have 5800 pounds on the cap.

Plus with your jack I would need a brass blank big enough to fit the cylinder; my jack was only 1" diameter cylinder - yours is probably closer to 2"

What brand is your jack? I could always get the same one. Didn't realize until reading this (and then re-reading your initial post) that you used a 2 ton bottle.

I did go check out my 12 ton Husky that I brought home from when I worked at the recyclers. Turned out it works, so now I have another jack LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As chunky as that is I don't see why you couldn't use aluminum. 6061 ought to do just fine I would think... Thanks for this. I really like that design a lot. I've been thinking about doing this myself but was always nervous about welding the top in and not having it leak. O-ring seal I can do.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T90203-Hydraulic-Bottle-Jack/dp/B0002H3364

2 ton of greatness

If you are serious about making brass plugs I think that would be great. I have dial calipers, can measure! :D

I would bet that jacks are like appliances... most are made by the same manufacture and just re-branded. I bought mine from Crappy Tire (Canadian Tire).

I have no problem turning a plug for you but the crappy thing is shipping from Canada. It would probably cost me $20 to ship that to you. I made a part (the CURE) for RW and luckily it just fit through the post office 'envelope' thickness and was only $3 to ship; if it was 1/16 thicker or any heavier and it would have been over $15 :puke: and that is just to ship within Canada.

I would love to turn out parts to help others but figure if I post enough information hopefully others can source their own parts.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Ya Fedex international says $23 canadian for a 10x10x10cm 2kg package. :puke:

Maybe I'll buy a harbor freight lathe cookoo:sly:rotflmao

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what do you think of this guy?

http://www.zoro.com/ssi-digital-pre...gclid=CKj9077728oCFYI_aQodTX8EVg&gclsrc=aw.ds

If I thought I would use it enough, that's in the realm of possibility.

I don't have any experience with that brand but it looks good! Certainly more affordable than the Crystal Eng gauge. I would install a snubber / damper on it.

Now if you want to do it right, use a pressure transducer and log it to a laptop... pop pressure, injector close pressure :sly Bet you could get all kinds of cool-but-useless data from that!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online