Best 'homemade' pop tester... Ever??

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put together a pop tester using some equipment from work. This is probably a little overkill but when its all you have available...:sly

This is a screw drive pressure pump capable of very fine control to 10,000 psi and I installed a reference gauge with an accuracy of 0.1% of reading (2 psi). One cool feature is the 'peak' hold on the digital gauge. I can watch the spray pattern and the gauge will hold the pop pressure for me.

I tested it on an old injector and it works fine; this weekend I will pull all of my new injectors (have 6000 km on them and check them. I have all my old injectors to salvage shims from.

In case anyone is looking for a fitting to adapt to the injector (12mm x 1.5mm pitch) I found a Parker fitting that works (1C343-6-4 Parker # 6 Female Metric L x 1/4" i.d. Hose Fitting). I spent a lot of time trying to identify the correct fitting so maybe this will save someone some hassle. I would prefer (I think) to have a steel line but there is nothing wrong with the one I have, and it was off the shelf at my local hydraulics shop.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I don't know how to make the attachments show as a picture :confused:

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fantastic looking unit. Nice work. Now we got a million dollar question...

OK now how much are those for you to make if any member/s wanted one?

Gotta ask cause I know others will want to know too besides me.

Al

PS post some vids of it on youtube ...Just sayin

Al

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GaugeCal pump is about $2500, the gauge is about $1000 but the hose only cost $20. :eek: We use this setup to calibrate pressure gauges at work, I'm just stealing it for the weekend. Probably not a practical solution for the home mechanic LOL

I get to borrow lotsa stuff to support my hobbies - we have a full electronics and physical / dimensional calibration labs. I just rebuild the upper gear case on my Mercruiser - I don't have some of the special Merc measuring gauges so I brought it to the lab and check it out on the CMM.;Really

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The GaugeCal pump is about $2500, the gauge is about $1000 but the hose only cost $20. :eek: We use this setup to calibrate pressure gauges at work, I'm just stealing it for the weekend. Probably not a practical solution for the home mechanic LOL

I get to borrow lotsa stuff to support my hobbies - we have a full electronics and physical / dimensional calibration labs. I just rebuild the upper gear case on my Mercruiser - I don't have some of the special Merc measuring gauges so I brought it to the lab and check it out on the CMM.;Really

Umm, Ya.;Really I was about to say, those critters look a darn site more expensive than teh average off teh shelf pop tester LOL

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the easy way to make the fitting:

Find a used idi injection line....
Cut line near on of the bends so you have at least 1" of straight line. Deburr cut and make sure there's no ridge or lip left behind.
Get a 1/8 sch 80 nipple.
Drill out id of nipple to 1/4"
Nipple should now be sliding fit on injection line.
Sand 1-2" of injection od at the cut end.
Put line in nipple, get out the torch and braze pipe to line.

You now has a 1/8" npt to injection line adapter for a net cost of ~$5.......

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry I missed this posting last year. Thats a really impressive screw pump. Sure be nice to have one in the shop...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online