Just a few questions now that I am on the road.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, the truck is now legal to my name, tagged and insured.
:D
The truck came with 4 different wheels, so I swapped the tires and wheels off my 95. I'm heading to the alignment shop at 4:00 tomorrow with an average load in the bed and the trailer in tow.

He tells me that he can do a much better job with the truck loaded the way it will travel most of the time. About the only time the trailer unhooks is so that I can hook onto the other trailer. We'll see how it all plays out down the road as far as tire wear is concerned.

I have drove a slue of trucks over the years and never experienced a clutch pedal like this one. Just off the floor it feels like it grabs about 20% friction. Then travels to the top say 3 inchs of travel and I get the other 80% of hook. So far, no slipping at all.

Would this be chronic of the DMF? I've never drove one that I know of.

Next question is.
I have a ton of grease and oil gunk all over the lower half of the heads and everything else down under. I have done the degreaser thing at home but its just not cutting it and I do not have a pressure washer. Many moons ago when I was a teen, I had a bad problem with a hot brake and the car wash hose.
Am I gonna hurt things if I spray the degreaser at home and take it to the car wash and pressure wash it off. Or maybe I guess it may be better to spray it when I get to the car wash.

All in all I am happy with the way its pulling so far. Most of my tail pipe smoke has left, Maybe some light grayish smoke when I really get down on the skinny pedal. Then I get the burnt oil cloud follow me for a little while. I'm guessing that after a little working on the hills the ex manifold is getting hot enough to burn off some of the gunk.

Anyone know when typ4 is gonna be back in town? I PM'd him but haven't heard back.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen those before, and wondered if they actually work. I'm thinking that for the 20 bucks, I better just go buy one and try it. Heck, maybe I can use it to get some of the gunk off the driveway. That would get me back in good graces with the wife.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Had one of those, it wound up getting under the tire of the IDI, and replaced with a pressure washer when it couldn't even knock the dirt off my truck.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try some yellow caned easy off for a degreaser it works great. just spary it one and let soak in for 20 minutes then a sparyer on a hose will work fine. or get some zep degreaser from home depo

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
If you spray the cleaner on when the motor is dry and let it set you shouldn't have any problems cleaning it, maybe do this a few times with a good degreaser and you should have no problems removing the gunk. Never failed me.

monkeyboi

Reaction score
The electric pressure washers work okay for that kinda thing and dont cost near what a full blown pw does. Wont do driveways and has limitations, but worked pretty good on wifeys caravan before I rebuilt it.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You gents,

I will send the wife out in the AM for the easy off. LOL Well truth be known, I shall ask her to pick it up for me.

I left the front end shop tonight and pulled a pretty long hill, I'm sure it got the EGT's up just a little from normal. I started making alot of burnt oil smoke and it sure wasn't coming from the tail pipe. I hope its all the crud thats all over the exhaust and such.

Since this is a NA motor, are there any problem areas other then the valve cover gaskets? The pass side is the worst of all.

The front end was out almost a full degree, so instead of spending the 160 bucks. I brought it home to add a leaf to the front packs. We shall see how it sits when I finish in the AM.

Also, anyone have any ideas about the funny feeling clutch?
Should an 87 4 speed have the DMF?

Thanks guys, without this fine site, I would be stumbling in the dark here. I appericate the help.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem Russ, I was curious more then anything. I thought I had seen you post, but I remembered you saying you didn't know what you would have for internet while you were gone.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its looking like adding a leaf to the front pac has done the trick. The tires are standing up nice and straight now.

Just for the record, I went and got my own Easy-Off this morning. LOL
Heading out now to spray it down.

I don't know about everywhere else but around here its just plain stinking hot and getting hotter.

Be safe, keep your drink close by!!!!

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Its looking like adding a leaf to the front pac has done the trick. The tires are standing up nice and straight now.

Just for the record, I went and got my own Easy-Off this morning. LOL
Heading out now to spray it down.

I don't know about everywhere else but around here its just plain stinking hot and getting hotter.

Be safe, keep your drink close by!!!!

not too hot here today. only 77 right now but man its humid!

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked and its 86 but it feels like 100 with the humidity.

The easy-off appears to be doing a fine job, the gunk is starting to dissolve.
Judging by how bad it burns when it gets in your eyes, I would have to say that it may work well.

I have another question and you all are probably gonna think I'm crazy.

I changed the oil and put 10 qts back in it.
Started it, built pressure, shut it off, waited 10 minutes and checked.
Level was right on the full mark.

If it sits longer then 30 minutes and I check it, it will show oil on the dipstick right up to and covering the word full, which is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch over the hash mark for full.

Its appearing to me that I have something draining back into the pan that isn't supposed to.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 6.9 let me down but made it home

I took off to mow grass on sunday, along with a few things that had to happen.

The alt took a dump on me, so after I got it going, I had to leave it run.

Then about the same time I notice one of the returns leaking really bad.

And to top it off, I had charged the AC on sat, but couldn't run it since I had near nothing left in the batt's.

I snagged a 3g alt from a taurus along with the harness for 28 bucks. Made up the plugs and batt cable.
Its only showing 12.2 to 12.4 on a meter. I was figuring it would be a little closer to 14 ish.

The alt tested good at Oriley's. But who knows.

I played with the return o-rings and slowed the leak down but I really gotta get on that.

Tonight I turned the IP a little less then a dime's width to the pass side. After the cold advance is off I have just a hint of PS rattle. I won't know on the exhaust until I can drive it in the day time. But I'm getting some blueish gray when I crack the throttle in the driveway.

I saw this in another post with only one response.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...29895&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_7066wt_1183

Since funds are really tight right now, and this seems to be a pretty decent price with free shipping. Has anyone heard bad things about them?

I'm leaning towards the rad since the temps start to climb just a little when I work it hard in town. But work it on the highway and they really start to get up there. Its got a new ford thermo in it already.

Sorry for the book.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I

I'm leaning towards the rad since the temps start to climb just a little when I work it hard in town. But work it on the highway and they really start to get up there. Its got a new ford thermo in it already.

Is the new thermostat directly from Ford or International?. If it was bought anyplace else then get one directly from Ford or International then replace that before spending the money on a radiator. Also check out your clutch fan and make sure it is working properly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online