junk yard 6.9 turbo and tach.

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys. sorry to have been absent for so long. but in my absence, i have found a many great things while pokin around the local pick n pulls. one thing i found was an ats 6.9 intercooled turbo kit still on a truck. said truck also has a factory tach. so, couple questions:

1- anything i need to aware or cautious of in takin this kit off and puttin it on my truck?

2- how in the hell do you wire the tach up in a non-factory tach truck??

3- do stans headers come out in the same places as the manifolds so that the turbo inlet pipes will still work?

4- i know its been covered many times, but just to get a solid number to be aware of, whats the "dont go any higher than that" EGT number?

5- (yes, im insane) will a vt 50 turbo work worth a **** in place of the ats turbo? the vt 50 is a fresh reman unit.

thanks in advance guys!

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
No on the headers. You need the dash cluster and membrane on the back of it. Also need the tac sensor off the oil fill. May need the oil fill housing if you don't have the tac port on yours.

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the factory tach gauge cluster, and planned on takin the IP timing gear cover and swappin it so i could just cut a couple wires and take it off. my cluelessness lies in how to wire it...

and what would it take to make the headers work with the turbo kit? custom up pipe to the turbo?

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
The wires are plug and play if the membrane or ribbon whatever you want to call it is there. The underhood side just unplug the harness at the fender connection. Your truck should have the rest.

The headers would need custom up pipes. But several have agreed you would loss alot of heat(energy) if you do.

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so maybe a cutom up pipe and header wrap? improved torque, better flow for horsepower, big vt 50 turbo, ought to work pretty well for crusin down the highway at 75mph... maybe?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
What is the membrane? If you mean the gauge wiring that snaps to the back of the plastic, they are the same. All of them. I had one for the diesel, and some for some gassers. They are all the same part number.

To install the tach, you need to pull your cluster, remove the nuts on the back of the cluster, and install the new one. If you already have the plug on your fender, it is plug and play. If you have any more questions, I would be glad to help you with pix if you need. Most of my stuff will be different colors than yours since mine does not belong where it is placed.

As far as the headers go, if you pull them I will purchase them for a mere $50.00 and shipping:)

SWS

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Nevermind. They come on 855cummins.

I would think it would have some major lag........no boost at all until at least 2000rpms. My guess would be none until 2500rpms.

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im gonna wire it the easy way: hard wired with a couple screw connectors. SWS, some pics would be greatly appreciated. this is a total guess, but cant the two wires from the sensor be run directly to two of the tach posts, then the other two are the positive and negative hookups for the tach?

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh, and i was mistaken in my previous post, as its been a month since i was out there, but today, i went to go get a definitive price for the kit, and it turns out its a banks kit. now i just need to find an intercooler, a '94 ip and some injectors for mel to work on, send a cam to type4, figure where to get 1.7:1 rockers, some badass valve springs, port and polish the heads and intake, get some ARP head studs and good copper gaskets, and find a bigger turbo... THEN, the fun can begin.

once thats done, 4" down pipe, a "y" to duals, and 8" stacks.

anyone know where i can pick up a good ZF5 tranny?? nobody has em down here, even at the junk yards, and the only two ive found, the guy has no intentions of parting with... :(

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
im gonna wire it the easy way: hard wired with a couple screw connectors. SWS, some pics would be greatly appreciated. this is a total guess, but cant the two wires from the sensor be run directly to two of the tach posts, then the other two are the positive and negative hookups for the tach?

Unfortunately SWS thinks all trucks came with tachs. Yours didn't so your cluster does not have the connections (membrane) on the back. Your tach will have 2 posts that go to ground, one post for 12v+ and the last will go to the sender (with the other wire from the sender also going to ground). Your early truck may not have the tach connection under the hood, I would grab as much of the wiring and the cluster membrane from the donor truck as you can to make things easy.

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, my truck DOES have the membrane. I think the PO's son put the cluster from another truck in without realizing there was no tach sending unit. But I DO want to wire it as you described. Does anybody have a pic of what goes where??

And I DO recall somebody on here mentioning that they had found ONE brand that made 1.7:1 rockers that work on our motors. I'll see if I can figure it out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828